Punishment for driver that's taking the mick - HandCart
Okay, I know the newspaper doesn't have the best reputation, but I saw this article:

tinyurl.com/pvmrudd

Why not introduce a new licence endorsement that says that for 2 years your own car is confiscated and the only motor vehicle you're allowed to drive is a single-cylinder 500cc diesel Aixam, entirely coloured in fluorescent yellow & pink stripes?

That should slow him down at least a bit, and give early-warning to others to get out of his way, whilst still allowing him to travel to workplaces not served by public transport.

And the money he saves in fuel costs can help pay off his debts sooner.
Punishment for driver that's taking the mick - Leif
Astonishing. He should have been banned in my opinion, repeatedly doing those sorts of speeds, and jumping a red light, shows a complete disregard for others. I heard it on R4, so it's not made up by the Daily Wail.
Punishment for driver that's taking the mick - Ben 10
Sorry but if you want to keep your job or licence don't break the rules.

We should be all treated the same. If he wants to continue to work he employs a mate. No excuse in this case. Or get another job a bus ride away. Should have been banned, he's just sticking two fingers up at the rest if us. Wonder if he is a mason?
Punishment for driver that's taking the mick - Engineer Andy
Sorry but if you want to keep your job or licence don't break the rules. We should be all treated the same. If he wants to continue to work he employs a mate. No excuse in this case. Or get another job a bus ride away. Should have been banned, he's just sticking two fingers up at the rest if us. Wonder if he is a mason?

I doubt if he is a mason (somehow I doubt he could spell the word), but agree he definitely should've been banned and for a long time. The (IMO) idiot judge/magistrate was taken in by his lawyer's/solicitor's weasel words pretending he was mentally unbalanced. I wonder how long until he does it again? Take you bets please!

Punishment for driver that's taking the mick - doctorchris

This man is completely out of control in so many ways. The punitive function of the law has completely failed to bring him under control. The public is therefore entitled to protection from his dangerous behaviour by, at the least a very long driving ban or even a custodial sentence.

I'm not convinced that he has any form of mental illness that explains his behaviour but he is entitled to arrange a psychiatric assessment if he so wishes. However, any mental illness that leads to the behaviour on the road that he has shown should lead to a ban from driving until that illness has been satisfactorily treated.

God help anyone living or working in anything constructed under his management!

Punishment for driver that's taking the mick - Smileyman

anyone who drives at 109 on any road inthe UK deserves a ban (even empty motorway at 1am!)

however the A127 and sea front in Southend area, the speed limits are suspect for being unrealistically low and whilst this does not mean they should be ignored it does mean that poor law invites the public to bring the law into contempt

don't care if the guy is poor, his vehicle can can kill or injure just as easily as a rich driver's vehicle, and needs of safety are patently being ignored here

Punishment for driver that's taking the mick - oldroverboy.

The irony of it.

Legal to fine you hundreds for overstaying 5 minutes..

Which planet is the judge on

And when this lunatic kilss someone... It cpuld not have been forseen.

Punishment for driver that's taking the mick - Bromptonaut

The irony of it.

Legal to fine you hundreds for overstaying 5 minutes..

Which planet is the judge

There's something bizzare about this that's not being captured in the reports. Six of the seven offences were 31 in a 20 and another was a red light jump. It's not totting up either - all offences were tried together.

I suspect the bench (lay magistrates not a judge if i read it right) really wanted to give him 11 points as a final warning but inflexible guidelines meant six points per offence.

Punishment for driver that's taking the mick - Engineer Andy

It doesn't matter that the speed limits along the front in Southend are 'low' (presumably as its a touristy area with lots of kids), he broke the law, and on many occasions including (DT report):

109mph and 82mph in a 50mph limit area at Royal Artillery Way, Southend; 69mph and 59mph in a 50 mph zone on the A127 at Rayleigh; 55mph in a 40mph limit area on the A127 at Laindon

The first two would've got him 5 or 6 points at least, so any of the others would've netted him a deserved ban.

Punishment for driver that's taking the mick - Ben 10
Saw a piece on one of the police traffic TV programmes. They explained the seafront speed limit at Southend was reduced because of the large numbers of boy racers who would turn up to pose and race each other at weekends. That coupled with drunken pedestrians was a bad recipe, where several people had been knocked down.