Vauxhall corsa c - Engine management light on - Yllig

My sons corsa went into idle mode engine management light came on chap came out put on diagnostic said it needed new acceleration pedal £163 fitted that light still on still in idle mode now says could be ECU cost£700!!!!!!!!! Any comments?

Vauxhall corsa c - Engine management light on - elekie&a/c doctor

I would ask your "chap" for a refund for an incorrect diagnosis.Unfortunately the engine Ecu on these are a common problem and not a cheap fix.Sometimes connecting another earth lead from the ecu directly to the battery earth terminal can fix these.

Vauxhall corsa c - Engine management light on - Yllig

Thanks for that could you just tell me would all faults come up on a diagnostic machine? Only he said the pedal came up first but told me sometimes when something goes it takes other things down with it?

Vauxhall corsa c - Engine management light on - old-school-tech

Unfortunately engine management diagnostics are often carried out by reading the fault codes that the cars ECU is telling us, So its very likely that your cars ECU did have a throttle pedal fault stored in its memory, and 9 times out of 10 we take it as read that this is the fault,

Unfortunatly if the cars ECU itself is faulty then it can often throw up all sorts of fault codes.

Do we suspect the ECU is giving us false information? or do we go with the faults and cross our fingers? Many people might suggest that once the throttle pedal fault has been read in the memory we should then go the extra step and actually test it manually by reading the resistance figures however in everyday practice this doesn't always get done because A: not everyone has access to what readings it should be showing, B: it takes more time, and C: if the ECU itself is ok then usually the fault codes are acurate.

A faulty throttle pedal on a vauxhall is not unhead of, I have fitted a few myself so I'm not sure I would point the finger at the technician who fitted it, If the ECU is indeed faulty (again quite common, usually on certain models because of where it's located) Then just bear in mind it was "your" faulty ECU that gave the false information.

I doubt in answer to your last question that one of the components has/had affected the other, If they are both faulty then pure coincidence.