Vauxhall Zafira A 2.0 DTI - Warning light comes on while driving - what is it? - stuartl

I picked up this car yesterday and three times today (on a 300 mile round trip) a light has come up on the dash while accelerating under load. It then goes to limp home mode.

The symbol is a car outline with a vertical spanner in the middle of it. If I turn off the car for a few seconds and restart it goes off and the car returns to normal performance.

Any advice very gratefully received!

Vauxhall Zafira A 2.0 DTI - Warning light comes on while driving - what is it? - elekie&a/c doctor

The mil (yellow malfunction light)is there to indicate that a fault has been detected by the engine control system.Could be any number of issues ,so the best way forward is to get a diagnostic check to get an idea of what is going on.

Vauxhall Zafira A 2.0 DTI - Warning light comes on while driving - what is it? - stuartl

I have read that there is a good chance it could be a gummed up egr valve. Does this sound likely and is it worth giving it a de-gunk?

Vauxhall Zafira A 2.0 DTI - Warning light comes on while driving - what is it? - RobJP

Yes, it could be. However, getting a diagnostic carried out might tell you more.

Randomly throwing parts / work at a car in hope of solving a problem is like playing roulette.

Vauxhall Zafira A 2.0 DTI - Warning light comes on while driving - what is it? - FP

Sounds like a generic "there is something wrong with your engine - nothing serious for the moment" warning.

You need someone to hitch a diagnostic computer to it and find out what the cause is.

It may be an EGR malfunction (similar scenario on my Ford Focus a few weeks ago), but it may not. In my case, the EGR valve had an electrical fault, so no amount of additives, cleaners etc. would have made any difference.

Vauxhall Zafira A 2.0 DTI - Warning light comes on while driving - what is it? - old-school-tech

unlikely to be EGR as the spanner symbol on vauxhalls although is a management fault its not necessarily a fuel related problem, this will usually trigger the EML lamp (engine symbol)

The spanner symbol is a vauxhall specific fault code and needs to be read with a suitable code reader as it won't be an EOBD code.

If its going into limp mode then it needs looking at ASAP, could be any number of problems, these are not without "usual faults"

Te ECU's can and often do cause problems as they are mounted on the engine, (just where you want your expensive ECU to be mounted...Not)

but until you have it plugged in you won't fix the problem.

Thanks for all the replies so far, looks like I will have to plug it in then and will report back once this has been done!

Vauxhall Zafira A 2.0 DTI - Warning light comes on while driving - what is it? - Micky-BO

My money is on a brake light switch on this model the symptons really match (common fault on these) Regards Micky-bo

Sounds curious Micky-bo. Any more info?

Ok, plug in been done, faults show as turbo boost solenoid, air flow sensor, glow plugs and egr valve.

Vauxhall Zafira A 2.0 DTI - Warning light comes on while driving - what is it? - old-school-tech

glow plugs are independant of the other 3 faults so likely one or more may need replacing (often better to replace all 4)

the other 3 faults are all connected, for example a faulty EGR valve may affect the boost pressure readings, and this in turn can affect the readings from the MAF sensor.

I would put my money on the EGR valve personally.

I am going to replace the glow plugs and try cleaning the maf sensor and egr valve and see how that goes :). Thanks for the advice so far :)