New car diesel or petrol - Ballyclover
Hi guys

Looking to purchase anew second hand car. Had my heart set on a diesel zafira. With the news from the EU in regards to diesel pollution and the UK new fines and taxes should I forget about diesel...would be looking for a 60 plate onwards

Thank you
New car diesel or petrol - gordonbennet

I wouldn't buy a modern Diesel but that's nothing at all to do with the latest scaremongering and that's only me anyway.

We've had all this before when they got the chattering classes of Islington all up in arms about gas guzzlers and loaded them with VED penalties, now there's more Range Rovers on the road than you could shake a stick at, and more than likely many of those who protested loudly about them just as they were told to now drive one as it's fashionable.

Might be an idea to hang on for for a while, if there's a massive knee jerk reaction to the climate crusade of the day then you'll probably be able to buy Diesels so cheaply it'll more than make up the likely tax hikes...a similar short period of cheap as chips high VED cars happened when the VED increases were backdated (then reversed to 06) to 2001.

Problem is I don't have the time to wait. My car was written off and the hire car runs out Friday at which point I will be with out a car... Just don't want to pay 7 grand for a diesel to find it's too expensive to run...main reason I considered diesel was for the mileage..driving to France cost me a bomb in petrol last year
New car diesel or petrol - Wackyracer

You need to consider your annual mileage and the type of use. Diesels with DPF systems are not suited to driving around town in traffic on a regualr basis.

If your annual mileage is not that high a petrol would be better suited to your needs.

Do about 12000 a year. Must journeys are less than 20 miles

I would say that a petrol car would be better suited to your use.

New car diesel or petrol - Andrew-T

Whatever mileage you do, if you compare diesel and petrol versions of the same model you will probably only use around 20% less diesel at best - which costs several percent more than petrol anyway, so the cash saving is around 15%. In a car which itself will cost more anyway, unless the new scares do something noticeable to market prices.

Beyond that, your choice may depend on which you prefer to drive, whether you mind the smell, whether you do many short trips. Etc.

New car diesel or petrol - Sofa Spud

Ask yourself why are there no modern petrol lorries, buses, trains, farm tractors, ships etc. Most light vans these days also have diesel engines and the LeMans 24 hour race has been won by diesel cars every year for the last 10 years. Diesel engines obviously have something going for them.

My last two cars have been diesel and the reliablility of their engines is amazing compared to petrol cars I've owned.

Regarding any possible penalties imposed on diesel cars because of the latest pollution scare, I think in this day and age they would be structured to encourage people to move to electric or hybrid cars rather than back to simple petrol ones.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 03/05/2015 at 13:47

New car diesel or petrol - FP

I think diesel engines have a lot going for them, in particular their torque pattern which makes driving such a pleasure.

I am pleased SS has found his diesels reliable, but many have found the anti-pollution technology anything but trouble-free. (Incidentally, I read somewhere that because short journeys and slow-moving traffic led to problems with clogged particulate filters, manufacturers have changed their settings to allow regeneration to take place at lower engine speeds; unfortunately regeneration leads, temporarily, to much higher levels of pollution - often right in an urban environment.)

I listen to what my trusted indie tells me and his tales of woe around modern diesels are legion. That's why I switched back to petrol a few years ago.

The (relatively) low pollution and now improved economy from turbo-charged petrol engines are what makes them currrently attractive.

As regards anti-diesel legislation, I would have thought that in the first instance it's likely to result in diesels being banned from city centres. If the OP is really keen on a diesel, and he doesn't do city driving, he's probably going to be OK for some years, though resale values might drop sharply.

Electric vehicles, apart from problems with limited range, merely transfer pollution from the vehicle to the generating station. However, at least city centres would be cleaner with them rather than any form of internal combustion engine, but what would replace large delivery vehicles I have no idea. Are there electric/hybrid 50-tonne delivery trucks?

Edited by FP on 03/05/2015 at 14:23

New car diesel or petrol - brum

Detach yourself from these emotional / kneejerk / anecdotal responses.

Look at pure cost of ownership.

Large heavy people carriers use far less fuel when diesel, the difference can be as great as 40% and the added torque is almost a necessity if looking at basic models.

Depreciation is BY FAR the biggest money gobbler in the equation and VED is minimal by comparison.

Use something like this to determine true running costs.

www.fleetnews.co.uk/costs/car-running-costs/

Sure diesel VED and fuel duty may be hiked but it makes little difference to the equation. Repair costs are a lottery but something to consider.

ALWAYS test drive the car to satisfy its suitability.

Scares around diesels will drive second hand prices down which may make a purchase more attractive

The one exception is if you intend to drive regularly into London or Manchester, you may want to reseach further into their plans to ban certain vehicles.

Really struggling to find a suitable car to be honest..keep having my head turned by the diesel 1.7
New car diesel or petrol - daveyK_UK

The higher powered Zafira 1.8 petrol (140 bhp) is actually the best petrol engine option on the fuel on the motorway (extra urban).

The 1.6 petrol (in all power outputs) and the 1.8 120bhp are thirstier.

Some brilliant deals on the higher powered 1.8 Zafiras, well worth checking it out.

T

New car diesel or petrol - Engineer Andy
Really struggling to find a suitable car to be honest..keep having my head turned by the diesel 1.7

I wasn't aware that the Zafira was that much of a looker? ;-)

Are you attracted to the Vauxhall because its cheaper to buy/service than similar specced/aged rivals? There are lots of far eastern MPVs which would be more reliable, but admitedly you would have to pay a bit more to buy/run them (even in diesel form).

Note, as before, its the type/frequency of driving and loads you'll be carrying (mostly just you, all the family, or some of the above + heavy gear) that should determine whether its a diesel or petrol, as well as the factors others have described over where you live/mainly drive to. Make sure you also factor in the age of the car you're looking at - how long will you want to keep it for, has it had any recent major parts replaced, how long will the car normally last without major expense.

IMO buying an 'everyday' car should be a decision you should make with your head, not your heart. Weekend cars, that's another matter entirely.

Best of luck!

Before you buy a Zafira 1.7 diesel have a look at this video and all the comments.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcAjqroJyAk

For every bad review there are good ones. All cars have good and bad reviews. My previous car was zafira for 5 years..petrol and never failed mot and only problem I had was was fixed by me.

Still looking and considering diesel. I cannot see how the government can price diesels off the road when there are 11 million on the roads and trucks and buses. I can imaging the road tax increase in line with petrol. Plus from what I have gathered we re looking around 2020 at which time be ready for something new any ways

I'm not knocking diesels, I have 2 diesel cars. The problem is your considering a diesel with a DPF fitted and your average journeys are less than 20 miles.

I have no doubt that your petrol Zafira was reliable but, that does not suffer the plight of emission control systems that diesels have fitted.

I think you have already decided your going to buy a diesel Zafira, I wish you good luck with it.

I am being told that as long as I do a good 10-20 min run at 60 to 70 mph it should regen.

Am I being told porkies?

The problem with regens is that A there's no obvious tell tale that its started or how long to completion, and B there's no way (happy to be corrected) for the driver to manually trigger one when you have the opportunity...ie up to temp and you've just got on the motorway for a 20 minute cruise...in practice the damned thing might not decide to regen till your just about to end the journey.

Whether a good workshops could add these features for a customer i don't have a clue, if they were relatively simple to be added then it would take some of the headache out of modern Diesel ownership for the lower mileage user.

New car diesel or petrol - Avant

I don't think you need to worry about resale values: if you're buying a £7,000 car and intend to keep it for 5 years (I think that's what you imply) then there won't be much in it between petrol and diesel.

I'm not myself a Vauxhall fan - I enjoy driving too much - but a Zafira is a perfectly good, serviceable car and we donlt seem to hear too many tales of woe on this forum about them. Petrol or diesel? - at 12,000 miles a year you could go either way. It depends party on what you prefer to drive, and partly on the type of driving you do. If (apart from your trips to France) it's mainly in town, you could have DPF issues so go for a petrol. If you do a longish run at least once a week, you should have no problem with a diesel.

But do try a 1.7 Vauxhall diesel before you buy: last time I drove one (a few years ago now so they may have improved) it was a gutless bag of nails.

But do try a 1.7 Vauxhall diesel before you buy: last time I drove one (a few years ago now so they may have improved) it was a gutless bag of nails.

Oh no, didn't realise the 1.7d was being considered, agree with Avant, test drive one properly on the route of your choosing, not the easy route the sales crew have carefully chosen.

Gutless, absolutely nothing going on till the turbo gets up to full boost and then it's nowt to write home about, i couldn't have one the lack of low speed torque would drive me up the wall.