KIA Sportage 2.0 Auto - What has caused the engine to 'die'? - Happy Blue!

Currently in Israel and spending time with some friends who bought a second hand Kia Sportage a few months ago. It is now about three months out of warranty and the engine had died. From what I understand, the engine has been 'surging' a bit when on the highway and this week the engine would lose power and stop. It would restart but when engaging gear the car move a bit (less than a few metres) and it would stop again.

They took it to their mechanic who seems flummoxed and his comment is something along the lines of "the crankshaft and camshaft are not in synch". This sounds like a timing issue, but do the symptoms bear this out? I thought maybe more of a fueling system problem??

Note that my friends have no mechanical knowledge and the mechanic probably speaks little English, I have trying to understand what is going on with fewer clues than normal!

KIA Sportage 2.0 Auto - What has caused the engine to 'die'? - Avant

I'll bump this up to the top in the hope you get a response from someone in the know.

Is it petrol or diesel?

KIA Sportage 2.0 Auto - What has caused the engine to 'die'? - hardway

Modern engines do have crankshaft and camshaft sensors and they do have to be in sync,

This is for a thing called sequential injection,

Which basicaly means the vehicle computer can adjust fuel/ignition for each individual cylinder.

Causes could be timing belt jumped or timing chain streched,

on faulty cam or crank sensors or the wiring to either.

KIA Sportage 2.0 Auto - What has caused the engine to 'die'? - Happy Blue!

Thanks. I will pass the word on.