Toyota Prius - Could this be clocked? - Robert Frost

Hello all,

I found a 2007 Prius at a Toyota dealer with about 33k mileage. It was originally bought at that dealer and was serviced by them for the first three years. In that time it obtained about 20k mileage. Thereafter the owner would ask his own son (a mechanic) to service it but there are no records for this. They have the MOT records which show that the car would do about 3k every year until today. However they are not Toyota MOT certificates. I don't know if the son did the MOTs himself - I can find out. The owner is an old man who exchanged the car for an Auris hybrid.

The dealer said that there is no way that an official Toyota dealer would sell a clocked car. However I have my doubts becuase I think the son may have clocked it. Do you think the doubts are warranted?

Toyota Prius - Could this be clocked? - jamie745

I once bought a 10 year old car with 26,000 miles on it and that was genuine, so anything's possible.

Old person doing 3k a year is perfectly plausible, especially in something which is tailor made for going around town and costing 2p a journey to do so.

There's no harm in being cautious, especially with the amount of Prius' you see with 150,000+ on them after a handful of years, but most of those were probably company cars so if yours was privately owned it's not as concerning.

Toyota Prius - Could this be clocked? - Auristocrat

The Toyota dealer and yourself can only go by the evidence provided. Doesn't matter whether the MOT certificates were done by a Toyota dealer, or an independent garage. As long as the MOT certificates are genuine and the mileage tallies, that is all that matters. Yes, the car could have been clocked between MOT's, but as there is no other evidence of service history, how can you prove or disprove that the mileage isn't genuine, apart from obvious signs like heavily worn steering wheel, pedal rubbers, etc?

If you're not happy, walk away ..........

Toyota Prius - Could this be clocked? - Trilogy

Perhaps you could talk to the owner himself.

Toyota Prius - Could this be clocked? - Andrew-T

A car with 4-5K a year in the ownership of someone as you describe sounds perfectly possible. I have been retired for many years and now do 6-7K a year. Anyway, if the annual mileages on the MoT certificates increase regularly that should be adequate proof - only a desperate person would bother to give a car an annual 'clocking'. Or do you think the DVLA record has been tampered with?

If the general impression and appearance of the car are consistent with the data presented, don't worry. If you are satisfied, any subsequent buyer will be too.

Toyota Prius - Could this be clocked? - brum

Check if the battery is flat!

Toyota Prius - Could this be clocked? - Robert Frost

Thank you for the replies everyone. It's really put things into perspective. I think I will probably buy the car.

Toyota Prius - Could this be clocked? - Nazrul Amin

Hi Robert, I am in the same position. About to pick this Prius up on Saturday. Did your car turn out to be ok in the end?

Toyota Prius - Could this be clocked? - TopScot

Other than doing the usual interior and body work checks their is no real way of knowing if a car is clocked. service and MOT'S are so easy to fake. Just clock the car before service and MOT and you can get away with it

I suspect is getting alot worse because of personal contract hire and mileage limitations. If you think it's been clocked, I would trust your instincts. I know and am sure others here will know just how bad it is and main dealers couldn't care less. As long as everything looks lagit and can be backed up ( to some degree) they will sell it even of they can see it's been clocked

Toyota Prius - Could this be clocked? - bathtub tom

service and MOT'S are so easy to fake.

Not so easy nowadays when you can check the MOT history of any vehicle and that includes mileage: mot-history.net/" target="_blank">mot-history.net/

Toyota Prius - Could this be clocked? - bathtub tom

Where did that junk come from at the end of the link I posted?

Should be: mot-history.net/" target="_blank">mot-history.net/

I give up!

Edited by bathtub tom on 22/10/2015 at 23:46

Toyota Prius - Could this be clocked? - RobJP

mot-history.net/