Ford C-MAX - Is there a cure for misting Ford headlights - HJB

I recently bought a one year old Ford Cmax Titanium X from my local Ford dealership and have been unable to resolve a problem of misting headlights. They mist up after a run if the car is parked in rain or is washed, or it’s a cold day. It seems that moisture in the units evaporates when the car is in use and then condenses on the cold surface of the lens.

The dealer was persuaded to change the units under warranty, I’m told they were swapped from another new car, but this has not resolved the problem.

I’ve corresponded with Ford Customer Relations at Daventry and they accept the dealers report that there is no fault. They defer to each other saying that the other is the technical expert. I meanwhile don’t see this fault on other cars of similar age and they cannot explain why my car should have the problem. Is there an answer to this problem? I’d appreciate your advice on how to resolve it.

(Like the column and website – best around)

Regards

Howard Bishop

Bath

Ford C-MAX - Is there a cure for misting Ford headlights - Peter.N.

This often happens if there is water trapped in the units, it evapourates when the lights are on and condenses again when they cool down as you say. The only cure is to get rid of the moisture, maybe removing the bulbs and drying the units out with a hairdryer would do it.

Ford C-MAX - Is there a cure for misting Ford headlights - dadbif

I agree with Peter, an alternative would be a small packet of silica gel, tied to piece of string and dangled in the headlamp via the bulb housing, try one headlamp first, then you can compare
Ford C-MAX - Is there a cure for misting Ford headlights - Galaxy

I have a misting problem in the front foglights on my Ford Mondeo.

I know that manufacturers like Jaguar actually pump air through the light units to get over this problem, but Ford don't.

Ford C-MAX - Is there a cure for misting Ford headlights - Wackyracer

When I had a headlamp that misted up I just removed the bulb for a couple of days and that cured it until i sold the car 6 years later.

Ford C-MAX - Is there a cure for misting Ford headlights - jc2

I know that manufacturers like Jaguar actually pump air through the light units to get over this problem, but Ford don't.

Could you tell us which Jaguar has ventilated headlights?-never heard of it before.Sounds like they're trying to solve a problem no one else has.

Ford C-MAX - Is there a cure for misting Ford headlights - Peter.N.

Removing the bulb for a couple of days would be an option but you need to do it when the weather is dry and warm

Ford C-MAX - Is there a cure for misting Ford headlights - bathtub tom

do it when the weather is dry and warm

I'd argue you need to do it when the weather's dry and cold!

Cold air's capable of holding less water vapour than warm air, so wouldn't it be better to do it when cold?

Discuss!

Ford C-MAX - Is there a cure for misting Ford headlights - Galaxy

Could you tell us which Jaguar has ventilated headlights?-never heard of it before.Sounds like they're trying to solve a problem no one else has.

Can't remember which model it was and it wasn't the headlights it was the front foglights. Saw the feature on an episode of "Wheeler Dealers" when they'd bought a Jaguar.

During their renovation they removed a foglight, think it was broken, and it had two rubber pipes attached as well as the wiring connector. Edd China expalined that the pipes were to pass air through the lighting unit to keep it free of condensation.

Ford C-MAX - Is there a cure for misting Ford headlights - csgmart

Can't remember which model it was and it wasn't the headlights it was the front foglights. Saw the feature on an episode of "Wheeler Dealers" when they'd bought a Jaguar.

During their renovation they removed a foglight, think it was broken, and it had two rubber pipes attached as well as the wiring connector. Edd China expalined that the pipes were to pass air through the lighting unit to keep it free of condensation.

If my memory isnt failing me I believe that car was a Range Rover P38 not a Jaguar.... However, the point is well made that at least one manufacturer has tried to cure a misting problem by providing venting of some sort.