Sadistic driving examiners - hillman

When I took my driving test the examiners used to test whether the testees were emotionally adequate to drive by sadistically trying to frighten them when giving the signal for the emergency stop. When I took my test cars generally had metal dashboards (Ford Anglia…) and the examiners would smash their clipboard against the metal and scream, “STOP”. I believe they don’t do it now. Is it because of the state they left some drivers in, or because cars now have cushioned dashboards ? My examiner was a sadistic thug. He almost wrecked the dashboard and screamed while I was concentrating on a woman wheeling a pram across the road and a child straying close to the kerb. Then he asked me to do the reverse around a corner and park.

The wife of one of my work-mates was taking her test when the examiner screamed and smashed, and when she hit the brake the hydraulic pipe burst. She burst too, into tears, and the car sailed on. The examiner hauled on the handbrake, took over and drove her back to the test centre.

My late father-in-law, a mild natured man in his early 60s, had a nervous breakdown due to the performance and never drove again.

Sadistic driving examiners - brum

I took my test in 1971 in a zephyr 6 mk 3. The instructor was much less strict that I was led to expect. When preparing me for the emergency stop he calmly told me please don't try to launch me through the windscreen, a reasonably quick stop will do.

Sadistic driving examiners - oldroverboy.

I took all my driving tests inside a couple of months in Jersey, till then had never bothered. first car, after being told off by thr local centenier (parish police) then m/cycle, then 'cos i felt like it HGV, (actually a little bedford TF artic with a very short trailer. literally "round the block"....

on the car test could not identify the no entry picture but was given a few clues and asked what i would NOT do...

Happy days....

Sadistic driving examiners - Wackyracer

I was out on test soo long, my driving instructor thought something serious had happened. Luckily I had a quiet and calm examiner. It was winter and he was wearing a winter coat with lots of velcro on it and I got my left arm stuck to his jacket.

Sadistic driving examiners - Leif
My late mother took her test in a Morris, just after the war I think. The examiner had just been with a testee who had crashed the car, it had turned at a junction, and gone into a building. The examiner was still shaking. My mother passed, although she did suggest he might have passed anyone who did not crash.

My examiner told me to reverse round a corner when a car was approaching from behind. I think he wanted to catch me out. The test was so short I was sure I had failed, but I passed, with not too many faults. My instructor took me on a dual carriageway doing 80mph, as a form of motorway tuition. Not kosher, but not a bad idea for one of the last lessons. I expect that would be too risky these days, for obvious reasons.

Edited by Leif on 22/03/2015 at 21:23

Sadistic driving examiners - Sofa Spud

My examiner just banged something on the dash the way he'd explained he would do, and I stopped the car.

Someone I knew had to do a real emergency stop soon after the start of their test and the examiner decided that would do and didn't bother with the simulated one.

Another story I heard was of a candidate managing to stop the car so impressively in a real emergency that the examiner ended the test on the spot and passed the candidate immediately. Presumably this was when they were already some way through the test.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 22/03/2015 at 22:13

Sadistic driving examiners - focussed

This thread sounds like "Tales from the driving test centre waiting room" LOL!!

Everything you ever wanted to know about the current UK driving test and how it is carried out is here in the driving examiners standard operating procedure DT1.

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attac...f