Peugeot 307 - Air Pollution / No Turbo - Pugget

Hoping someone can help me here; my 2002 Peugeot 307 HDI 110bhp is displaying the 'Air Pollution' Fault (seems to be fairly common). The turbo does not appear to be working and I have tried suggested clearing methods (such as 50mph in third gear) but this just resulted in the ESP warning light and limiting the car to about 2600 revs. I've notice oil beneath the intercooler pipe(?).. at both the engine end and intercooler(?) end. Apologies, I have no idea if this is the correct pipe but by process of research I suspect it is. Are symptoms / faults related? I fear an expensive repair, if indeed the problem can actually be found. I'm trying to avoid the process of having various parts replaced without finding the fault. Thanks in advance.

Peugeot 307 - Air Pollution / No Turbo - Railroad.
I don't wish to be rude but it's a 13 year old car and its best days are long behind it, so I agree that you don't want to throw money at it. If you're going to pay a garage to do this you'd probably be better off scrapping the car and getting another one. If you're doing the work yourself I'd start by removing the inlet and exhaust manifold and giving the turbo a thorough examination and clean. Also clean the whole air intake system and make sure the EGR valve is also clean and works freely.

Thanks for your reply railroad. I agree, a garage repair is likely to be uneconomical. I will have a look at your suggestions and see how I get on. Cheers.

Peugeot 307 - Air Pollution / No Turbo - Wackyracer

These faults can be a problem to fix. This car car has a DPF that uses Eolys fluid.

Firstly, has the Eolys fluid run out? Is there a problem with the fuel cap sensor or magnet? Have you inspected the pipes going to the pressure sensor for the DPF? If they are damaged or split the sensor reading will be wrong and lastly it is not uncommon for that sensor to fail on these cars.

Peugeot 307 - Air Pollution / No Turbo - Gibbo_Wirral

Its "anti pollution fault" and its a generic error message that can mean one of dozens of things.

You need a diagnostic check, preferably with the Lexia diagnostic equipment that only works on Peugeots and Citroens.

Google "Peugeot Planet Map" to find a map of Peugeot owners with the equipment who will be able to help you out.

I disagree with the comment that "it's a 13 year old car and its best days are long behind it", it all depends on the way its been looked after.

My 307 is 14 years old, only has 99k on the clock and is immaculate inside and out. It sails through the MOT year after year. And there are folks in the Peugeot community with 200,000 and even 280,000 miles on the clocks of their 307s.

Thank you Wackyraces and Gibbo - both very helpful answers. I have youtube'd how to check the fluid levels and will inspect the pipes at the same time. I've not noticed any problems with the fuel cap . I'll see if there is anyone down on the south coast with peugeot planet. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Peugeot 307 - Air Pollution / No Turbo - hardway

If there's oil in/leajing from the turbo induction system odds are the turbo bearings/seals are shot.

And no turbo boost on these usually means the turbo isnt spinning,

Usually because the vanes are hitting the housing!

A wiggle test isa very rough check on the turbo,

See if it will move laterally in the housing,

and spin free.

But money on it's shot.

Lack of regular oil changes ir wrong oil is usuall the culprit.

Not saying it was you,

could have been any previous owner.

New turbo and SERIOUS oil clean/change.

Oh and there's a little oil strainer on the turbo feed line,

I always renew it with O/E.

That sounds serious but very plausible. There is no boost at all and I'm not so sure that the turbo is spinning. As an amature but willing to give things a go, does anyone have an pictures diagrams (with labels if possible) so I know what I'm looking at? Checking the pipes for splits seems like a sensible option to start with.

Remove the ducting from the not exhaust side of the turbo and look down the turbo.

You'll see the fan/impeller.

And the wiggle test is grab the center nut and try to move the fan up/down/side to side.

But if it's filthy with oil and the inside of the ducting the same the oil can only come from the turbo bearing seals.

And to be honest as soon as I see oil dripimg from where the ducting I condem the turbo.

And the car comes off the lift,

You don't want to be owe me the minimum half hour charge for me to open it up!!

It's so common on these.

Peugeot 307 - Air Pollution / No Turbo - galileo

For those with time to spare and sufficient interest, this links to a comprehensive troubleshooting guide for turbos.

tinyurl.com/lzheskx

Oh and the information given for the car is incomplete.

Is it the 2.0 Hdi or the 1.6 Hdi It makes a BIG difference when removing a turbo.

Kind of a good news bad news thing.2 liter is a bit of a pig to get at/out.

The 1,6 is easier to gat at/out

BUT it is never just the 1.6 turbo that goes.

a 1.6 HDI turbo failure is all kinds of bad news.

Ah, yes it's the 2.0 Hdi engine, so perhaps good news on the fault but I've already found (or rather haven't found) the turbo is a pain to access. Hmm. I managed to wangle a 'free' diagnosis from a peugeot dealer for later this week. I'll update this thread with the result as it may assist others. I'll let you know...

Edited by Pugget on 22/03/2015 at 11:50

Update (if anyone is interested). Diagnosis was a faulty turbo solenoid valve. £151 later she is boosting like a beauty!

Good news for you!

And perhaps an example to others.

We keep responding with "GET IT SCANNED!.

For this very reason.

Peugeot 307 - Air Pollution / No Turbo - nortones2

Good result for the OP.

pmmonline.co.uk/technical/turbochargers-diagnostic...s also gives a good summary. Main point they make, above all, is that diagnosis has to consider the turbo control systems, as well as the turbo mechanical state, and to correct the cause of problems.

Edited by nortones2 on 26/03/2015 at 09:43