BMW 2009, Golf 2010/11 - BMW Vs Golf for Commute - JunaidM

Hi

I will be starting a new job soon and will have to do roughly 100miles round trip commute every day during peak hour on M4.

Thinking about the cars, I budgeted it down to around 8k. I searched around and narrowed it dow to two options. Car should be able to accomodate 4 adults.

1. BMW 5 series Auto Diesel - 100k miles - 8'500

2- Golf 2010/11 Auto Diesel - 69k miles - 10'000

Can you guys suggest which one I should go for.

Or as one my frind did, he bought 2002/3 E Series, roughly 130k for 4k

Thanks

BMW 2009, Golf 2010/11 - BMW Vs Golf for Commute - Avant

The Golf should be a common-rail diesel; avoid the previous PD unit. If you can afford £10,000, that might get you a lower-mileage BMW, maybe a 3-series, ideally with mileage that isn't too high or too low (say 8,000 to 12,000 a year).

The BMW conventional automatic is likely to be a better long-term bet than the VW DSG.

Edited by Avant on 08/03/2015 at 15:30

BMW 2009, Golf 2010/11 - BMW Vs Golf for Commute - iFocus

You don't tell us enough information. Why have you narrowed it down to these 2 cars?

What are your requirements other than the 100 miles a day, what leisure mileage do you intend doing too. Do you need to carry large items or need bestow a certain image. Do you really need an auto?

Also a Golf is a world away from a BMW 5 Series, especially in terms of size etc.

On the cars you've narrowed it down to, I personally wouldn't go for either. The 5 Series will need alot of repairs at that mileage; factor in a new turbo, suspension bushes and a timing chain. The Golf has the dreaded DSG gearbox, and they do go wrong!

If I was you I'd look at my requirements in the car, I would also consider those with stop-start tech as you'll be sat in a lot of traffic and consider the one with lowest fuel costs as a 100 miles a day equates to approx 24k a year!

Edited by i-VTEC on 08/03/2015 at 15:23

BMW 2009, Golf 2010/11 - BMW Vs Golf for Commute - gordonbennet

From the information given i think your friend has the right idea, find yourself a well maintained MB 220/250 Diesel, W211E class would be my choice so 06 on but make sure its facelift.

Then find a good MB indy and keep it well looked after, autobox and axle oil changes as well as the usual servicing, should see 400k miles out of one of those and it'll still sell on.