Shogun, Jeep or Discovery ? - Which 4x4 ? - Quo Vadis

Hello

Thoughts welcome on which 4x4 for £5,000 or thereabouts - needs to have genuine off road ability for country pursuits and collecting logs. Have thought of a Shogun, Jeep Cherokee /Grand Cherokee or Discovery ...must be reasonably comfortable and reliable.

A Shogun does appeal but have heard horror stories of expensive parts.

Regards

QV

Shogun, Jeep or Discovery ? - Which 4x4 ? - RobJP

Unfortunately, any of these, if bought for £5k could be an absolute money pit. You are buying a big, complicated (read originally expensive) vehicle, with a big, complicated (read expensive to fix) drivetrain, that is a decade or so old (read tired, parts worn out), and will have done a moderate to high mileage (again, tired, parts worn out). As such, any of them COULD need expensive parts, repairs, etc. at any time.

Now we've taken off the rose-tinted glasses ... you might equally get one that has just done the school run, and the closest it has seen to 'off-road' is a small kerb when parking half-on the pavement.

Service history is absolutely key. All the maintenance being done and up-to-date is critical (shoguns need regular cambelt changes, Discoverys have MAJOR expensive services about 100k), learn exactly what they all need to have had done, and if the invoices aren't there, walk away. Stamps in a book, and ticks next to 'items to be done' mean nothing without receipts.

An informed buyer is someone who is a lot harder to con.

Lastly, if I was going to go for one of those you've listed ... I'd go for the Shogun. A slightly biased viewpoint, as we've got one.

I know of plenty of horror stories about Jeeps and Discoverys (especially the D3 which came out about 2004), but I don't know of any really horrific ones for Shoguns. And I live out in the sticks, and know lots of farmers, horsey types, shooters, vets, etc.

Shogun, Jeep or Discovery ? - Which 4x4 ? - madf

I'd budget for £1000 of unexpected repairs on anything I bought...

Discos are for owners with more money than sense: horrible unreliable junk.

I'd budget for £1000 of unexpected repairs on anything I bought...

Discos are for owners with more money than sense: horrible unreliable junk.

Yes that is a thought and have decided to avoid discos - too many advertised with new engines etc which is a bit alarming!

Shogun, Jeep or Discovery ? - Which 4x4 ? - doubleg_uk
+++1. And apart from the mechanical/electrical disasters that this heap suffers, don't forget the total lack of rust protection and the severe, unrelenting chassis/underside rot that they also suffer. The general build quality is shameful considering the market sector this vehicle was intended to appeal to.

Unfortunately, any of these, if bought for £5k could be an absolute money pit. You are buying a big, complicated (read originally expensive) vehicle, with a big, complicated (read expensive to fix) drivetrain, that is a decade or so old (read tired, parts worn out), and will have done a moderate to high mileage (again, tired, parts worn out). As such, any of them COULD need expensive parts, repairs, etc. at any time.

Now we've taken off the rose-tinted glasses ... you might equally get one that has just done the school run, and the closest it has seen to 'off-road' is a small kerb when parking half-on the pavement.

Service history is absolutely key. All the maintenance being done and up-to-date is critical (shoguns need regular cambelt changes, Discoverys have MAJOR expensive services about 100k), learn exactly what they all need to have had done, and if the invoices aren't there, walk away. Stamps in a book, and ticks next to 'items to be done' mean nothing without receipts.

An informed buyer is someone who is a lot harder to con.

Lastly, if I was going to go for one of those you've listed ... I'd go for the Shogun. A slightly biased viewpoint, as we've got one.

I know of plenty of horror stories about Jeeps and Discoverys (especially the D3 which came out about 2004), but I don't know of any really horrific ones for Shoguns. And I live out in the sticks, and know lots of farmers, horsey types, shooters, vets, etc.

Thanks for your reply, that's very helpful. The Shogun do just seem generally more robust. I think I might up budget a bit for a decent one.

Shogun, Jeep or Discovery ? - Which 4x4 ? - NARU

I'd also look at Toyota Surfs. These are a simpler 5 seater based on the running gear for a Landcruiser. Lots of imports around at sensible prices. Go for a 3 litre rather than the 2.4 though.

Shogun, Jeep or Discovery ? - Which 4x4 ? - Happy Blue!

Many farmers drive Subarus. A manual Forester with decent tyres would be a good, reliable and smaller alternative.

Shogun, Jeep or Discovery ? - Which 4x4 ? - oldtoffee

I second the Forester (petrol,2.5 for me) vote and might add a Hyundai Santa Fe or Kia Sorrento to the list.

Shogun, Jeep or Discovery ? - Which 4x4 ? - RT

I second the Forester (petrol,2.5 for me) vote and might add a Hyundai Santa Fe or Kia Sorrento to the list.

Whilst the Santa Fe and Sorento are capable enough with the right tyres, the Santa Fe has too many vulnerable underfloor components - this also applies to the 2010-on Sorento as it's a Santa Fe underneath but that's outside the OP's budget.

An advantage of the Subaru's, particularly the Outback, is that all their components are protected by the flat floorpan which slides over obstructions very nicely - and despite being more estate-like than SUV it's actually got more ground clearance than a Santa Fe / Sorento.

Shogun, Jeep or Discovery ? - Which 4x4 ? - corax

How often are you using it for logs? Ideal vehicle might be a crew cab pick up like a Toyota Hilux or Ford Ranger.

Shogun, Jeep or Discovery ? - Which 4x4 ? - daveyK_UK

Shogun

Shogun, Jeep or Discovery ? - Which 4x4 ? - dan86

What about a Nissan patrol or a Toyota land cruiser?

Shogun, Jeep or Discovery ? - Which 4x4 ? - Chad.R

Toyota Landcruiser Colorado 3.0TD (the older engine) in LWB - these are plentiful and can be had for £3k. Then you have £2k for getting it baselined and in tip top condition.

The older 3.0TD isn't as frugal or powerful as the newer 3.0 D4D engine but those (from 2001) are going to stretch your budget and you won't have anything left over to get a full service and replace some of the ageing components, that will almost certainly need doing.

However once you have it baselined, you will have a reliable and very flexible vehicle, ready for a trip to Tesco, the local woods or Outer Mongolia depending on your mood.