All - A12 - look out...Greed Cameras about. - Ethan Edwards

Just to let you know that from 9th Feb they will be installing Average Speed Camera's on the A12. I believe it's the Witham bypass section.

They are already fitting them between Colchester and Ipswich and I believe some are installed the other end near M25/Brentwood.

Frankly my experience of the ASC on the A127 means I find this prospect simply terrifying. All they have done IMO is cause traffic to bunch up closely together and the resultant frustration / claustrophobia effect simply encourages people to swap lanes recklessly etc.

I do not believe they have improved safety one jot on the A127 (I think it's now worse than before) and now they have spread to the A12. Still if there is cash to be made....

So let's all be careful out there.

Edited by Avant on 04/02/2015 at 23:29

All - A12 - look out...Greed Camera's about. - skidpan

If you stick to speed limits there is nothing to be afraid of.

Problem with these "average" speed cameras is the number of total idiots on the road who have no idea what "average" means. They race between cameras and brake heavily when they see one.

If drivers keep to the correct speed what would be the issue.

All - A12 - look out...Greed Camera's about. - RobJP

Agreed. I barely even notice speed cameras, and when I do I don't break out in a cold sweat. But that's probably because I try to drive within the speed limits.

All - A12 - look out...Greed Camera's about. - pd

The Witham by-pass seems to be closed due to an accident more than it is open these days.

All - A12 - look out...Greed Camera's about. - oldroverboy.

Having recently mo

All - A12 - look out...Greed Camera's about. - oldroverboy.

Having recently moved to colchester have noticed all the cameras and adjusted to the lower limit. wasn,t much faster anyway.....

As someone posted about the extension of avg speed cameras in another post, In wales we had them on the heads of the valleys road A465 and more recently around newport and port talbot M4 and both are twisty bits especially newport with the bends hill and the tunnel.

Slow down, save money, don't pay the taxman...

allegedlt there is a future project to have a man with a flag walking in front of all motor vehicles.

All - A12 - look out...Greed Camera's about. - corax

All they have done IMO is cause traffic to bunch up closely together and the resultant frustration / claustrophobia effect simply encourages people to swap lanes recklessly etc.

Already happens.

Horrible road, noisy and full of tailgaters.

All - A12 - look out...Greed Camera's about. - Smileyman

It's Essex Police area, what more do you expect, they are very zealous about speed related matters .. I was in Southend a few weeks ago, the A127 is littered with cameras, it's a nightmare for anyone with a journey to complete. In my younger days used to live in Essex, journey times are now longer because of the curse of the camera.

Journey times on the A12 and A127 are restricted by traffic for the vast majority of the day. Only late at night are you ever going to be able to go faster than cameras anyway.

Between Hatfield Peverel and Colchester the A12 is a horrible road with a fair bit pre-war. It has numerous horrible junctions with short or no run-in and in many cases on bends with little visibility. It carries motorway or more levels of traffic and should have been rebuilt to motorway standard years ago.

For most of the day you won't get above 70 and during rush hour 45-50 is a typical speed anyway - on a good day.

I can't get too vexed about the cameras to be honest. If I want an enjoyable drive I'm not going to pick the A12.

All - A12 - look out...Greed Camera's about. - Sulphur Man

Spot on.

I have family in Colchester and have driven the A12 for 25 years. It was bearable 20 years ago, although the surface was a washboard from Chelmsford onwards, ground down by freight heading to Harwich Port. It's has got busier every year since.

Colchester's population has doubled in 15 years, for the well-known reasons, with no real investment made to cope with it - example, Colchester General Hospital, now in 'special measures' as the staff are run-ragged accomodating a population of 180,000 when it was originally specc'd for 90,000.

The Hatfield Peveral junction onto the A12 Northbound is a strong candidate for worst blackspot in the UK. Its a ridiculously short entry slip, on a near-blind corner so A12 drivers dont see the car arriving until very late, and the car joining doesnt see the main road either. To cap it all, there's someones driveway at the end of it, and a bus stop. You couldnt make it up.

re: the AVS cams, they mightve been justified for traffic control measures as much as speed limit enforcement. There's growing evidence that AWS cams help traffic to flow, and stop the dangerous 'concertina' effect.

Roll on M12, or A12(m).

I was in Southend a few weeks ago, the A127 is littered with cameras, it's a nightmare for anyone with a journey to complete.

Cameras are not a "nightmare for anyone with a journey to complete". They are only a nightmare for those who want to speed everywhere and keep getting caught.

In my younger days used to live in Essex, journey times are now longer because of the curse of the camera.

Not just in Essex. When I was younger there was much less traffic on the roads and that on its own mean't you could maintain the legal limit on most roads with little effort. There were no cameras but the Police still had Radar Guns that they would use on sone of our local roads back in the 60's and 70's.

So stop blaming cameras, if you drive legally you have nothing to fear from them.

All - A12 - look out...Greed Camera's about. - Snakey

You've got to love the self righteous camera fans on here. No one is saying that they want to drive at stupidly high speeds but the cameras are there to catch you out even for minor transgressions or (gasp!) human error.

The 6 mile long 50mph (camera controlled of course) stretch near me is becoming a massive bottleneck - mainly because a wagon in the inside lane doing 45mph dictates the speed of the outside lane - as people seem reluctant to go anywher near 50,let alone slightly over!

Hence, 6 miles of crawling traffic, which takes several miles to sort itself out after the roadworks!

And the kick in the teeth - the cameras and cones have been out 6 weeks, not a dot of work has been done yet.

You've got to love the self righteous camera fans on here.

O dear. Try and talk a bit of common sense and you are described as something you are clearly not.

Where did I say I was a "Camera Fan".

The Hatfield Peverel junction has now been improved (after quite a few deaths) but still isn't fantastic. The best bit about the old one (apart from the driveway and bus stop) was the ease at which drivers who didn't know the area could end up going north on the southbound carriageway which happened lots of time.

You still, however, have the Witham north junction on a bend next to an industrial estate (lots of lorries) with very short run-ins, the Rivenhall junction which is almost a T-Junction, the A130 junction which comes to a standstill every evening, the junctions north of Colchester which are also basically T-Junctions, the A1124 northbound junction which requires a quick dart into Lane 2 when you join to avoid going straight off again into Colchester and seems to have an accident every week.....the list is endless....and you still have buses, tractors, cyclists, milk floats and goodness know what on the road.

I don't claim to be a fan of cameras, but frankly, the inconvenience of having the whole of Essex brought to a standstill pretty much once every week due to a A12 closure is such that if it prevents one or two accidents a year I will put up with it.

All - A12 - look out...Greed Camera's about. - corax

I'm a fan of having more police cars on the road.

You might as well have an electric car in Southend with the number of cameras and speed restrictions there.

All - A12 - look out...Greed Cameras about. - Gibbo_Wirral
All they have done IMO is cause traffic to bunch up closely together and the resultant frustration / claustrophobia effect simply encourages people to swap lanes recklessly etc.

There's a stretch of the M60 motorway on the outskirts of Stockport that was notorious for bunching up, stop starts, and inevitable crashes. They installed average speed cameras with a 50mph limit and it reduced accidents and kept traffic flowing much smoother.

I'd rather travel through an area at a lower steady speed than have my life and car risked by how it was before.

All - A12 - look out...Greed Cameras about. - RT

There's a stretch of the M60 motorway on the outskirts of Stockport that was notorious for bunching up, stop starts, and inevitable crashes. They installed average speed cameras with a 50mph limit and it reduced accidents and kept traffic flowing much smoother.

I'd rather travel through an area at a lower steady speed than have my life and car risked by how it was before.

In those conditions, the statistics always show that average speeds go UP under a 50 limit with average speed cameras.

Edited by RT on 05/02/2015 at 13:28

All - A12 - look out...Greed Cameras about. - pd

With regard to the A127, the bit into Southend between the A130 and Southend is full of junctions with traffic lights, houses directly onto the road etc.

It is all the junctions which hold you up - not speed cameras. Most of it is 50 with reducing to 40 and 30 towards Southend. You hardly ever get to do those speeds anyway and, frankly, 50 is quite fast enough for most of it.

The bit between the A130 and M25 is also usually full of traffic which prevents progress and, like the A12, has junctions directly off it.

I can't see how cameras have made any difference to the progress, or lack of it, you can make on that road.