VW Polo 1.4 SE 55 Plate - Timing Belt Change Interval - Spudgun88

Hey folks,

Could someone please clarifiy what the interval is for a timing belt change on a VW Polo 1.4 SE? My partner is looking to buy one used on a 2005 plate which last had its timing belt done at 40,000 miles. The car's now done 80,000 miles and I'm worried it may be due again immintently. Is this the case?

Thanks a lot for any help.

VW Polo 1.4 SE 55 Plate - Timing Belt Change Interval - skidpan

Current VAG cam belt requirements are inspect after 60000 and then at every service. replace if necessary. Replace at 5 years or 120,000 miles max.

So based on that and the fact that the Polo is 10 years old I would suspect it had its first belt at 40,000 miles and 5 years so now its ready for another.

Get the seller to change it or get enough discount to allow you to do it.

Thanks a lot for your reply! The dealer is Evans Halshaw, so we'll see what they have to say.

VW Polo 1.4 SE 55 Plate - Timing Belt Change Interval - RobJP

Do bear in mind that VW recommend that the rollers, tensioners and water pump are chenged at the same time as the cambelt. The additional work to do all these bits is minimal, but if they're fixing it 'on a budget' (which they definitely will be doing, so that they still make a reasonable profit), then these might well be missed out.

You might be better negotiating a bit of additional discount, and getting the job done yourself at a decent indy.

Ok, Evans Halshaw say it's every ten years to do a cambelt on the polo. Are they just blatantly lying now? Thanks in advance for any help!

VW Polo 1.4 SE 55 Plate - Timing Belt Change Interval - RobJP

If you go here :

www.hawcogroup.co.uk/volkswagen/servicing-parts/fi.../

it says every 4 or 5 years. They also quote prices : £349 for cambelt and tensioner, or £429 for cambelt, tensioner and water pump.

Bet you're speaking to a salesman. Most of them would tell you a white car was 'snow micatallic' if they thought it would make you buy it.

That's great, thanks for the link. I was indeed speaking to a salesman, who insisted it was ten years after speaking with VW himself. Is he site you linked me to the official VW guideance? Again, thank you for your help.

Have just heard off VW themselves via their twitter account and it is infact every 4 years on this model. b***** salesmen! Will walk away if they don't offer any discount.

VW Polo 1.4 SE 55 Plate - Timing Belt Change Interval - Big John

On this engine it is every 4 years / 40,000 miles. Always make sure it is a full belt(s) kit with tensioners. Always do the waterpump (new antifreeze?)at the same time and be aware there are two belts!

Negotiate it as part of the purchase

Edited by Big John on 05/02/2015 at 22:15

VW Polo 1.4 SE 55 Plate - Timing Belt Change Interval - Ordovices

www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/what-we-chec...s