Car-parks and smart phones - hillman

What do the BRs think of this ?

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shopping-and-consumer-new...l

The car-park owners seem to be trending towards completely automated operation. What will happen when their computer goes down, or is hacked ?

I confess that I'm a mobile phone phobe and don't own one.

Car-parks and smart phones - RT

I'm "elderly", ie over 65 and only have a basic mobile phone for emergencies - so I won't ever be using one of these car parks.

There was a time when "legal tender" was legally acceptable to pay any debt or charge - I don't recall that law being changed.

Car-parks and smart phones - Hamsafar

There was a time when "legal tender" was legally acceptable to pay any debt or charge - I don't recall that law being changed.

There are many myths around "legal tender" it doesn't apply to ordinary transactions, only to payments to Courts. WHat's more paper notes are not covered so are not legal tender.

Edited by Hamsafar on 31/01/2015 at 11:09

Car-parks and smart phones - Avant

With a bit of imagination (which unfortunately some of these companies haven't got) they could do the same as with the London congestion charge, and allow payment any time that day, before or after parking, with a flat daily rate.

Nearly all pensioners with cars will also have a landline, surely.

Although I'm over 65 (just) I do have a smartphone, although I don't think it's very smart (for example it insists that my location is Chepstow, many miles from north Dorset where I live). But every time I've paid for parking over the phone, a normal mobile like RT's could have made the call.

Edited by Avant on 31/01/2015 at 10:57

A basic mobile, kept for emergency use will generally have very little credit - it's frankly easier simply not to go to these places!

Car-parks and smart phones - drd63

I'm pretty IT literate and use my phone for many things but setting up car parking is always slow, if only for the fact that signal is often poor in many multi storey parks.

Car-parks and smart phones - alan1302

What do the BRs think of this ?

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shopping-and-consumer-new...l

The car-park owners seem to be trending towards completely automated operation. What will happen when their computer goes down, or is hacked ?

I confess that I'm a mobile phone phobe and don't own one.

I have a smartphone, love tech and use car parks but i think it's a supid idea to have have phone only cars parks. Like the article says not everyone has one, not everyone has one that can go on the net and it's not always going to work either.

Car-parks and smart phones - Oli rag

I had a nightmare in Dorchester last summer. Went to a car park where all of the ticket machines were out of use. I followed the instructions to pay by phone, this took a long time. I had to text my reg to one number then pay via another number once registered- not easy in bright sunlight without my reading specs.

I then received a text telling me they confirmed my car reg number and location BUT this was not a booking confirmation!

Ignored this and went shopping, to be honest it almost made me want to give up. Surely it can be made more straight forward than this?

Car-parks and smart phones - gordonbennet

Oli rag's post highlights the lunacy of much of modern town planning, and of many other things.

We want to make our town attractive, especially for those with disposable income one would expect in a normal world (a town full of penniless people isn't going to last long), so what we'll do is make it as much a faff as possible for those people to come shop here, then when they vote with their feet because they've lost the will to live through our utopian planning, we'll wonder why.

Solvent shopper thinks blow this for a lark, either i'll go somewhere i'm welcome and my visit made easy or i'll sit at home with a cup or glass of my favourite liquid in hand, click a few buttons and hey presto a nice man delivers exactly what i want the following day.

If these people want the towns to survive, they'd better buck their ideas up.

Car-parks and smart phones - dan86

I'm very good with a smart phone and computers ext. But when I park the car I like ta take a ticket on entry then when I return put it in a machine witch tells me how much I need to pay and I have a choice of cash or my debit/credit card. My second favourite is a simple pay and display. I don't want to have to use my phone to text or go on the Internet and faff about giving all my details so I can be spammed later on by some 3rd party about something I don't want.

Car-parks and smart phones - RichT54

I've noticed recently that some car parks where you take a ticket at the entry barrier are printing the car's registration on the ticket, so they obviously have number plate recognition cameras linked into the system.

There's one car park in Reading where the system also automatically raises the exit barrier as you approach - I assume that it has re-checked the registration and confirmed that you have paid. That really confused me the first time it happened.

Car-parks and smart phones - Smileyman

at least you cannot do what I did once, purchased a ticket at a Pay & Display machine, then went into town, forgetting to put the ticket in the car. I was not away long, yet there was present to welcome be back to the car.

I found the P&D ticket in my pocket .... local council were very understanding and fortunately cancelled the penalty charge without any fuss.

Car-parks and smart phones - Oli rag

I think a lot of the " put your car reg on the ticket", is to stop people passing any unused time tickets on to anyone else.

Car-parks and smart phones - Bobbin Threadbare
I am tech savvy, have a whizzy smartphone and it's usually with me. I have tried to use one of these pay by mobile car parks in Ambleside. I did have a signal, which is rare in Cumbria! The system wasn't working at all; it was their software problem and since it was a Sunday the helpline wasn't manned. Great.

They had ticketed people who couldn't use it....even though it was their fault.

All this faff, if you can't manage Bobbin what the heck are old Luddites like me supposed to do.

I have an idea, what about employing someone, sort of job might suit someone semi retired say, put up a kiosk (small shed) at the parking area entrance/exit, person then in worthwhile work can issue parking tickets and collect the monies and be around to keep an eye on things.

You'd think someone would have thought of this already :-) instead of, NHS & local/national govt like, throwing taxpayers money about like confetti on jolly clever schemes that don't work but still cost...though they do possibly provide good careers with kerching pensions for the pen pushers responsible, so thats all right then, nothing to see here move along now.

Car-parks and smart phones - Bromptonaut

Wouldn't mind a job like that GB. However my kerching pension for 35yrs pen pushing is enough to keep the wolf from the door........

Hah, so you're the one responsible for this car park fiasco Bromp, another fine mess you got me into Stanley...

Car-parks and smart phones - Plinky

There are a couple of car parks in West Sussex that don't give you tickets on entry. They read your VRN on the way in and, when you want to leave, you just enter it in the payment machine, pay for the parking, get in your car and head for the exit. Another camera checks your number plate and raises the barrier. Quite simple, in theory. Unfortunately, living in a town with an older population, there are generally long queues at the payment machines as no one can remember their reg numbers! :)

There are a couple of car parks in West Sussex that don't give you tickets on entry. They read your VRN on the way in and, when you want to leave, you just enter it in the payment machine, pay for the parking, get in your car and head for the exit. Another camera checks your number plate and raises the barrier. Quite simple, in theory. Unfortunately, living in a town with an older population, there are generally long queues at the payment machines as no one can remember their reg numbers! :)

Or they can't type very well !

Car-parks and smart phones - hillman

"There are a couple of car parks in West Sussex that don't give you tickets on entry. They read your VRN on the way in and, when you want to leave, you just enter it in the payment machine, pay for the parking, get in your car and head for the exit. Another camera checks your number plate and raises the barrier. Quite simple, in theory. Unfortunately, living in a town with an older population, there are generally long queues at the payment machines as no one can remember their reg numbers! :)"

The car-park in the local village is free for the first hour but you still have to put the last three digits on your registration number on the ticket.

Don't joke as though old fogies are the only ones who can't remember their reg numbers. When I was a youth, in my first expensive car, I was stopped in a police road block and the constable asked me what was the car's reg. number. It's like asking a man what is his wife's dress size.