Maxwell - Breakdown coverage etc. - Pebble

In the immortal words of Howard Stern, "Hey now." I just renewed my American Automobile Association membership, and was wondering how people liked their UK equivalent. Worthwhile? Helpful when you have a roadside breakdown? Just curious.

Maxwell - Breakdown coverage etc. - alan1302

I always think you would be an idiot if you didn't have some form of breakdown cover. I very much like the peace of mind that comes with having it.

Maxwell - Breakdown coverage etc. - RobJP

I'm with the AA here in the UK. Have been for 20+ years, actually, joined in 1994.

Sadly, they were bought out by a finance-type company a number of years ago, and since then they've been very willing to shaft existing, loyal members if they can. A phone call at renewal time usually obtains a steep discount.

I've not needed to call them out for about 10 years. However, I wouldn't like to not have cover of some sort.

Maxwell - Breakdown coverage etc. - RT

At various times, I've had AA and RAC cover under new car warranties but both times I needed them, they performed abysmally - taking 4 hours for a patrol to reach me and confirm my diagnosis that the car wasn't repairable at the roadside so another 1.5 hour wait for a flatbed recovery truck.

On the other hand I've used Green Flag 3 times as part of an affinity group and they've been superb - accepting my diagnosis, after "interrogation", and sending a flatbed within the hour and taken direct to destination, no time-consuming changeovers on the way.

The car's are 4wd automatic so can't be towed on a suspended lift nor very far/fast with all 4 wheels on the ground. It's not exactly a rare combination these days

Edited by RT on 31/01/2015 at 08:31

Maxwell - Breakdown coverage etc. - jc2

I've used Britannia Rescue twice-both times less than half hour wait.Once a truck,once a spectacle lift.Neither time was my diagnosis questioned and I was recovered to my home.

Maxwell - Breakdown coverage etc. - Vitesse6

I use DAS bought as a package with my insurance. £40 for full european breakdown cover. Used them twice over the years and each time it was the AA that turned up and fixed the problem.