Dacia Logan MCV / Ford Mondeo - BHP & Torque - mountainhiker

Hello

I was wondering if I would be able to get some advice.

I currently have a Ford Mondeo 1.8LX and am looking at changing it in the next 12 months as it approaches the 11 year limit for European Breakdown cover.

I travel each year down to Austria via Holland and Germany and find that when full with a roofbox, 4 people and a full boot it struggles on the long hills at its worst dropping 40mph down to 30mph to get up some of the hills.

I am a computer geek rather than a car guy so would really appreciate someone advising what these actually mean to me in terms of the above scenario. My dad keeps saying to me that I need to get a 2.0L or 2.2L car and they are becoming rarer these days.

I have been looking around at new cars and quite like the Dacia range (a couple of people at work have them and they look and seem good) however they are:

1.5 dCi engines giving 88bhp with 220Nm 162 if-ft where as currently I have a 1.8 giving 123bhp with 170Nm 125ib-ft.

Many thanks for anyones help in aiding my understanding etc.

Paul

Dacia Logan MCV / Ford Mondeo - BHP & Torque - RobJP

A larger engined car has more 'spare capacity' in normal driving, so doesn't need to work so hard, so when you do need it to work hard, it has that extra in reserve. That's why you need a larger engine. The latest fad for the 'ecoboost' type engines (very small engines, but turbocharged), is the last thing you need.

If you've got a car that heavily loaded that it drops down to 30mph going up the hills, then I'd say you've either got it overloaded (as in over the manufacturers limits, in which case your insurance might not be valid), or that there is something wrong with the car.

It all depends on what type of driving you do in the rest of the year, though. Your current car is petrol, the 1.5dci is a diesel - and modern diesels aren't really suited to short trips or low annual mileage.

So, if you do a reasonable mileage a year (15k or more), with regular motorway/longer journeys, then probably diesel. If you do town driving/short trips, then ideally petrol.

Dacia Logan MCV / Ford Mondeo - BHP & Torque - skidpan

The latest fad for the 'ecoboost' type engines (very small engines, but turbocharged), is the last thing you need.

Do not agree. We have a 1.4 TSi Leon, at 140 ps its on a par power wise with a 2 litre petrol Mondeo of previous generation but with considerably more torque and a much wider power band, drives brilliantly and is very economical.

As for the OP's question regarding the Logan and a Mondeo what he needs to do is drive the Logan and make a decision based on the drive.

But personally I would not expect the Logan, which is a decent sized estate, to be much good with less than 90 PS. We have a similarly sized Kia Ceed SW CRDi with 115 PS (and more torque) and in truth I would not want any less power in that car.

Dacia Logan MCV / Ford Mondeo - BHP & Torque - craig-pd130

BHP and torque figures can be misleading, because on their own, they don't mean much. You have to factor in the vehicle's weight, and the gear ratios too.

Engine size is also misleading these days, as there is a general trend for smaller-capacity engines fitted with turbochargers. As the turbo compresses air into the engine, it enables the engine to produce more power and torque than it would without the turbo.

But generally speaking, a modern turbocharged diesel engine like the dCi in the Dacia will have more torque than a non-turbocharged petrol engine of the same capacity.

So the Dacia should have more 'pulling power' at 40mph in 3rd or 4th gear than your current Mondeo. In other words, the Dacia is (probably) less likely to struggle on long hills.

Have a search for "power versus torque" and you'll find far too much information about the subject.

Dacia Logan MCV / Ford Mondeo - BHP & Torque - oldtoffee

I had a 2003 Citroen Picasso 2.0HDi with 90 bhp and when loaded it used to struggle up motorway inclines, a combo IMO of lumpy aerodynamics and just lack of enough power. I "invested" in a 20 bhp upgrade via a tuning box and it transformed the car and didn't hurt the economy. Citroen replaced the 2.0 with the lighter 1.6HDi, with 110 bhp.

Dacia Logan MCV / Ford Mondeo - BHP & Torque - Peter.N.

The diesels will give higher torque at lower speeds which means easier hill climbing and less gear changing, they will also give better economy of course. The petrol engines are better at high speed although you have to work harder to get there