Kumho tyres? - Leif
I need tyres for my VW Up, and Kumho kh27 tyres are £90 a pair, compared to £120 for Michelin/Continentals. All are low noise, good grip and energy saving. So, are they any good? Is there a catch? Are they likely to be more susceptible to damage for example? On paper they are comparable to the more expensive ones.
Kumho tyres? - Auristocrat

We've had Kumho tyres on a Mazda 2 and on our current i20. No problems with either the road holding or wear. Kumho do have a contract with VW to supply their tyres as OE on some versions of the Polo.

Test drove the new Hyundai i20 this afternoon, and Hyundai are now fitting Michelin Energy Savers to the i20 range.

Kumho tyres? - Avant

The BMW Z3 I had for 5 years came with Kumhos, and they were fine: good grip and seemed to be long-lasting. Michelins do normally last even longer, but then you have to pay more in the first place.

I'll never have a Continental again since they were unable to supply a replacement for a punctured tyre.

Edited by Avant on 24/01/2015 at 12:19

Kumho tyres? - RT

Kumhos can vary considerably - Hyundai Santa Fe had them as standard until 2012 - the earlier Kumho lasted "for ever", eg 50-60,000 miles and gripped well while the later KL21 were worn out in 30-35,000 miles and had poor grip in the wet, not good for an all-season tyre.

So generalising on the brand is dangerous - find out opinions on specific models.

Kumho tyres? - catsdad
My vauxhall dealer fitted them to our Astra about 5 years back and I researched them then as I'd never heard of them. They were generally well reviewed. Still plenty of tread after about 18k miles. Kumho are or were original fit for some Mercs.
Kumho tyres? - 72 dudes

RT is correct, but speaking generally, Kumhos seem to be OK.

Personally I prefer a quieter, softer compound tyre, as long as they grip well in the wet. In this respect, Goodyears and Avons are excellent (generalisation again!)

We all have our views, like Avant and Continentals. I would hesitate to buy Dunlops ever again, as one time they wore out in no time and and on another they just would not balance.

I have dabbled with cheaper tyres (Barum and Falken) and found them to be fine.

Have a look on the asdatyres website - big brands at good prices and you can have them fitted at different places.

Kumho tyres? - Leif
Thanks everyone, I'll give them a try on the back wheels. I had a rear puncture, but the rear ones are marginal anyway.
Kumho tyres? - craig-pd130

I fitted Kumho Ecstas as replacements for the front wheels on my previous Mondeo IV and Volvo V60. On both cars they replaced factory-fit Michelin Pilots. On both cars, there was zero detectable difference in wet or dry grip, handling, braking and road noise between the Kumhos and the Michelins.

I can't comment on the longevity as I sold both cars well before the tyres were worn. The Kumhos were 60% of the price of the Michelins at the time.

Kumho tyres? - daveyK_UK

Big fan of Avon tyres, budget prices and always grip well. Plus they are made in the UK.

Kumho tyres? - RT

Big fan of Avon tyres, budget prices and always grip well. Plus they are made in the UK.

But which Avon tyres are actually made in the UK - Avon is owned by Cooper Tires USA which is in turn owned by Apollo Tyres India.

Apollo Tyres don't own Cooper Tires - the deal fell through in December 2013.

Kumho tyres? - daveyK_UK

And they are made in the UK (the ones I purchased where)

Kumho tyres? - quizman

Are you sure it doesn't say designed in the UK?

All the Avon tyres I've seen lately are made in China.

www.halfordsautocentres.com/advice/tyres-advice/av...s

Kumho tyres? - Avant

I don't think it matters very much where they're actually manufactured.

If you want to be patriotic and support British industry, buy goods either that are manufactured here, or whose maker is based here (like Avon, presumably), so that its profits / losses are made by a UK company.

Kumho tyres? - RT

I don't think it matters very much where they're actually manufactured.

If you want to be patriotic and support British industry, buy goods either that are manufactured here, or whose maker is based here (like Avon, presumably), so that its profits / losses are made by a UK company.

So it's better to buy a Chrysler/Jeep built in America because their taxation residence is the UK, than a Vauxhall built at Ellesmere Port because their taxation residence is Switzerland, as part of GM Europe.

Kumho tyres? - Avant

Ultimatelty profits end up with the parent company - both Chrysler and GM being in the US. I've never wanted a car of either brand, but although I'm reasonably patriotic 'buying British' isn't a big issue, as it would be too restrictive for most goods, not just cars. And most of the time, even if it did matter, I've no idea where the ultimate parent company is.

Kumho tyres? - RT

Ultimatelty profits end up with the parent company - both Chrysler and GM being in the US. I've never wanted a car of either brand, but although I'm reasonably patriotic 'buying British' isn't a big issue, as it would be too restrictive for most goods, not just cars. And most of the time, even if it did matter, I've no idea where the ultimate parent company is.

On a pendant note, Chrysler is now part of Fiat-Chrysler with Fiat having full control and domiciled for tax purposes in the UK.

Like many industries, the car industry makes it very hard to buy patriotically even when you want to - it also means that the national image of any brand isn't always what it seems.

Staying on tyres, of course in the old days all the rubber was imported from the Far East, Malaya typically - long since superceded by synthetic materials coming from goodness knows where.

Edited by RT on 25/01/2015 at 17:09

Kumho tyres? - Snakey

I've had Kumho's on 3 of my cars (2 hatchbacks and 1 SUV) and they're been fine, more of a budget brand but far from cheapo ditchfinders.

In the case of the SUV, they replaced Continentals and I noticed no difference in grip or noise after swapping over.

Kumho tyres? - drd63
I'd been using Kumho Ecsta's on my Kuga and my Wife's Hyundai Coupe, really suited both cars, good feel, grip and wear. Replaced front Conti Sport 3's on my DS 5 with same Kumho and started getting a vibration through the steering wheel. Micheldever tyres rebalanced them twice to no avail so they went on the back and bought new Contis for the front. All good. Have just replaced all 4 with Avon ZZ5's which are really quiet and seem very resistant to aquaplanning. It might just be the slightly colder weather but the traction control light is getting a lot of use which was never a problem with the Contis even when down to 2mm. Time will tell and be interesting to see what wear is like, Conti's were doing 20k on front and Continue and Kumho c25k on back.
Kumho tyres? - Steveieb

Was all ready to fit Kuhmo Tyres to my A4 when the dealer ageed that Hankook were a better tyre and the ones preferred by his taxi clientelle. So I took his advice and am really please withh the improved ride on their Eco tyres.

Bit more expensive but worth the extra IMHO

Kumho tyres? - Leif
The original tyres were Hankooks, both rear were till one burst. Both had done 50k miles. They are good, but not easy to get locally.