Gearbox oil (Golf Tdi 115) - gollin
I would like to change the gearbox oil on my 2001 Golf Tdi 115hp 6 speed.

Does anyone know the correct/specification oil to use?
Gearbox oil (Golf Tdi 115) - 547HEW

Only just seen this! The VAG part number for 1 litre containers of the correct gear oil is G 052 171 A2. (or was in late 2011).

I changed mine back in 2011 at 210,000 miles. The gearchange was getting stiff when very cold (below zero deg C), and the new oil cured this. The oil removed looked very thick and very waxy. You are fortunate in being equipped with a rather nicely machined gearbox drain plug.

Gearbox oil (Golf Tdi 115) - bathtub tom

Do you think he's still got the car after ten years?

Gearbox oil (Golf Tdi 115) - 547HEW

Hi Tom,

Well, I still have mine, after 12+ years, so I guess he could! Just wanted to supply requested information in case it was of use to original poster, or someone else in same situation.

PS. I kept my last car for 15 years, and my last Transit for 20 years - I hate the hassle of changing them.

Gearbox oil (Golf Tdi 115) - arnoldbrame

It is recommended to first know how much kilometer your vehicle should travel before you conder changing the engine oil or gearbox oil.

Edited by Avant on 11/11/2013 at 21:42

Gearbox oil (Golf Tdi 115) - skidpan

On the Golf be very careful locating the filler plug. Not sure if it applies to the diesel but on the petrol the filler plug and a bolt that retains the reverse gear mechanism (or something similar) are very close and almost identical. Remove the wrong bolt and its a gearbox strip and rebuild to sort. Happened to an apprentice working on a senior staff members car in our workshops.

Its all detailed in the Haynes book of lies.