slk cdi - advice! used car with sketchy service history. - barney100

Bought an slk cdi 2 years old with 16,500k on the clock. had the satrguard and becker map pilot. I asked for a service book but apparently it's all recorded on computer now. I chased up the history and found a record of only one service done at almost 16k and two years old. The main dealer I bought it from have verified this info and I'm in tomorrow to discuss. I'm not sure what will happen and am worried that the turbos could be worn and of course the engine could have some unseen wear, it runs ok but nevertheless! any thoughts?

slk cdi - advice! used car with sketchy service history. - gordonbennet

That sounds like the typical service history of a modern German/French car, be lots out there with more miles but get serviced @ 2 years.

It's had its first full service at just under 16k, and from new it will have had the correct oil, so i wouldn't be in the least concerned.

However if you carry on as you have before, and keep your car long term, then it would make sense IMO to service the car how you want to from now on, most likely with a full engine service every year or 10k whichever comes first, no harm in DiYing these annual 'in between' services either so long as the required normal servicing is done by a competent garage to keep warranty intact.

Just out of interest, and i have no idea if modern MB's are fitted with any sort of after shutdown turbo lubrication (and regardless if it has), but with turbocharged engines i always, and will contunue to do so till i no longer drive, allow the engines to warm up a bit before calling on it for any power to speak of, and let it tick over for a couple of minutes after use.

Other people will have differing views on this, whcih is only right, my view is that after well over 3 million miles of mainly turbo Diesel driving, i'm yet to have a turbo failure that i can recall, i see no reason to change what works for me for the thimbleful of fuel used warming and cooling.

Not suggesting you do as i do, just saying what i would do if this very nice motor was mine, and good luck with the car.

slk cdi - advice! used car with sketchy service history. - daveyjp
Mercedes dropped two year servicing at least 5 years ago and now have an annual/15,000 miles regime, whichever is first.

Looks like this car was only serviced prior to it being sold at two years old. Who was the previous keeper?

I would want it in writing that the warranty is still valid.

slk cdi - advice! used car with sketchy service history. - 72 dudes

Not true daveyjp.

I have a 2006 SLK 350 with 38.5k miles, which I bought 12 months ago from the MB dealer with 35.5k. It had a big service prior to sale (Filters, plugs, coolant and auto transmission fluid)

It is not due a service until January 2016 or until I have done another 10k miles.

MBs use ASSYST which monitors usage, oil temperature reached, cold starts etc and tells you when and what sort of service is needed.

So the OP has nothing to worry about.

The key difference is yours is a 2006 car - produced when two yearly service regime was the norm. The move from 2 year to one year servicing was not retrospective.

OPs car is only 2 years old, produced at a time when annual servicing was reintroduced.

The ASSYST system does indeed indicate which service is required, but the time period between services is now 12 months or 15,000 miles.

The OP can check when the next service is due by going through the menus - this will indicate if it is on an annual regime or not.

Edited by daveyjp on 20/01/2015 at 11:49

Now checked and the change from two yearly to annual servicing was on cars produced from 2007.

Edited by daveyjp on 20/01/2015 at 12:15