Audi A3 - REAL MPG - GLPT54

I have just entered the figures for my car onto the 'Real MPG' database. The figure based on the last 6 tankfuls was 59.04mpg, as calculated by the mileage divided by the fuel used, ie the accurate way.

Significantly, the average indicated by the on-board computer for the same period was 67.5mpg, some 8 mpg better.

I wonder how many people when entering their mpg use the actual figure as opposed to the computer one, and if other computers are as optomistic as mine.

For the record I use a conversion of litres x 0.22 = gallons.

Audi A3 - REAL MPG - RobJP

Some people will enter the trip computer mpg.

Some (and I'd guess the majority) will calculate the mpg, going off litres, odometer, and using 4.546 litres per gallon (or 0.22 gallons per litre, which is all but identical)

A few will go further, calculating the difference between what the odometer says and the actual mileage done, and correcting for that, before calculating the mpg.

Some will take a guess.

Some will lie. Bacause they can, and they think they're being funny/cool.

In my case, I use the litres of fuel put in, and the mileage the odometer says I've done. My BMW mpg calculator is within 1 mpg of that figure.

Audi A3 - REAL MPG - balleballe

59mpg is impressive!

Can I ask what engine that is, and the type of driving you do?

Audi A3 - REAL MPG - slkfanboy

Had to say unless you know the speed! He may having been going 56mph all the time

Audi A3 - REAL MPG - jc2

And other people have vivid imagination!

Audi A3 - REAL MPG - GLPT54

The engine is the 1.9TDIe.

My regular commute is mainly rural B roads and dual carriageways, and I tend to stick to the limits, 60/70mph

Audi A3 - REAL MPG - FoxyJukebox

I guess this model can do 59mpg but I reckon most on average will do around 40mpg tops and around 30 mpg on a cold february morning short run--even less maybe,

Audi A3 - REAL MPG - Big John

My 2009 Superb mk I 1.9 tdi does 50-53 on my 64 mile round trip commute - measured using brimmed tank to brimmed tank mileage readings and not the on board computer so I can imagine a much smaller car would be somewhat better.

Out of interest - my on board computer is actually about 3mpg on the pessimistic side!