Ford Mondeo Estate 2004 - Flywheel and Clutch Replacement - jaykay79

Hi, I am new to this forum and a relatively amateur at mechanical DIY, most I have attempted so far is front pads and discs.

I have suffered from the usual DMF failure, but because of being made redundant I dont have the funds to get this done, so as I have time on my hands I am going to attempt myself.

I managed to buy a flywheel and clutch from ebay from a scrap yard, the car it came from recently had these parts fitted but was written off shortly after, having being rear-ended. I have the parts and they appear in very good condition, I am now buying the slave cylinder/bearing new.

My question is, I have heard a friend mechanic say that I have to be very careful in lining up the flywheel/clutch etc so it is basically where it was. I dont have the tool to do this, when i look at haynes manual it doesnt say much about this, in fact the only alignment tool it mentions in this process is the one used to centre align the clutch friction plate.

So few questions:

1. is there any form of alignment i need to be mindful of when taking old flywheel/clutch off and replacing with newer ones?

2. if so how can i do this without a special tool, ive read that a long enough socket set will help.

3. do you really need to take subframe off, if doing this on axle stands.

Thanks again and apoligies for basic questions.

Ford Mondeo Estate 2004 - Flywheel and Clutch Replacement - elekie&a/c doctor

This really is a massive job on one of these,if all you have done in the past is brake pads.The alloted time for a clutch is approx 5 hours.The subframe must be dropped for the gearbox to be removed.It is only the clutch centre/friction plate that needs to be aligned,no real special tools required.

Ford Mondeo Estate 2004 - Flywheel and Clutch Replacement - Galaxy

I think that lining up the clutch and flywheel will be the least of your problems.

This is a very difficult job and really requires good garage facilities to complete both successfully and safely. In spite of what you say, OP, I would strongly recommend you leaving this work to a garage.

If you really, really, must do the job yourself then I've read on Ford forums that people have actually done a clutch replacement, using DIY facilities, by removing the engine from the top. Having done this then you wouldn't need to drop the subframe, but I have no practical experience of doing the job this way, only what I've read.

My recommendation; leave it to a garage.

Ford Mondeo Estate 2004 - Flywheel and Clutch Replacement - bathtub tom

I understand that after removing the subframe on these a full alignment's required for the front suspension.

Ford Mondeo Estate 2004 - Flywheel and Clutch Replacement - Peter.N.

If you get as far as fitting the clutch it can be aligned quite simply by rotating the flywheel and looking at the edge of the clutch plate to see that its an even distance from the edge all the way round, you need to centre it before you do the bolts up tight.

Ford Mondeo Estate 2004 - Flywheel and Clutch Replacement - gordonbennet

Agree with Peter N, the only really good alignment tool is the corect gearbox input shaft, and that's what we used to use on our common or garden cars when i was a young chap, other than that by a combination of looking through the centre of the clutch plate into the spigot bearing and looking and feeling with fingertips where the clutch plate sits against its pressure plate as you gradually tighten it up, you will have no trouble getting the plate lined up.

The usual multi alignment tools were such a loose fit that invariably you'd end up doing it by feel anyway.

I too would be inclined to investigate lifting the engine out (excellent opportunity for an easy cambelt change if the car has one), if time isn't an issue then it might be a good future investment to make yourself a 4 leg gantry out of scaffold poles for this and future engine removals, hoists are cheap enough to buy its the gantry thats expensive so worth making your own, £50 worth of old scaffold is less than an hours labour and you've got it for years of such jobs.

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/01/2015 at 19:02