Supermarket Fuels - StGeorgeII

Cue debate...thoughts?

Which to avoid. Sainsbury's are currently offering the cheapest fuel however, would it pay to pay the extra and fill up at the likes of Shell / BP?

Also, is it true Tesco use Esso fuels - and is it any good?

I use diesel in my SD, I ask because I live near a Tesco garage and don't often pass Shell / BP.

Edited by Mini Cooper SD (2014) on 10/01/2015 at 10:31

Supermarket Fuels - Galaxy

The petrol or diesel you get in a supermarket will be exactly the same sfuff as you'd get anywhere else.

What will be different, however, will be the additives which are put into the tanker before it's filled at the fuel depot.

For what it's worth I nearly always buy my fuel (petrol) in Sainsbury's.

Edited by Galaxy on 10/01/2015 at 11:19

Thank you for your reply.

I must admit I'm pretty naive in this field. It's interesting to see the strong divide between people who fill up with Vpower etc and those who do not.

The question is by using "premium" fuels will it increase your MPG enough to save money long term...

Supermarket Fuels - bathtub tom

The question is by using "premium" fuels will it increase your MPG enough to save money long term...

You'll have to try it to find out. I'll buy a few tankfuls of premium each time I change a car and do a full tank to full tank measure of economy to compare premium and regular fuels. I don't believe the dash readout, I've found them to be up to 10% inaccurate.

I've only found a difference a couple of times, when the cars felt more responsive on premium, but that could've been me trying to justify the expense.

I've never found a measurable difference in economy that can justify the extra expense.

Supermarket Fuels - Andrew-T

The petrol or diesel you get in a supermarket will be exactly the same sfuff as you'd get anywhere else.

What will be different, however, will be the additives which are put into the tanker before it's filled at the fuel depot.

Given the small number of refineries and the scale of today's demand, I don't see how things could be otherwise. But a few decades back when ICI had a big petrochemicals business they had their own chain of petrol stations (until recently the station in Alston still had the ICI sign). The fuel had a distinctive smell unlike other brands, and rumour had it at the time that it was an outlet for surplus cyclopentadiene.

Supermarket Fuels - groaver

Which to avoid. Sainsbury's are currently offering the cheapest fuel however, would it pay to pay the extra and fill up at the likes of Shell / BP?

Strictly speaking, Sainsburys like Tesco offer fuel "competitve" to the nearest rival stations.

My Sainsburys charges 3p per litre more than the next nearest one 8 miles away for the exact same fuel. The reason? They have no competitors in my town!

At least Asda claim to offer the same price at all their stations.

Supermarket Fuels - craig-pd130

All fuel sold in the UK from major petrol-station and supermarket chains has to meet British standards. Those standards exceed the manufacturer's requirements for cars sold in the UK.

Opinion on this site is divided between those who would rather take the bus than use supermarket fuel in their car, and those who use nothing but supermarket fuel.

My personal opinion is, for 'standard' diesel, you won't notice any difference. Just enjoy the fact that fuel is around 25 pence per litre cheaper than it was 4 months ago.

Supermarket Fuels - RT

I get tired of this continual debate - I buy the cheapest fuel available in the locality I'm in - if others want to believe they're getting something more by paying more that's up to them.

Supermarket Fuels - skidpan

I get tired of this continual debate - I buy the cheapest fuel available in the locality I'm in - if others want to believe they're getting something more by paying more that's up to them.

Exactly.

Think about it logically, if supermarket fuels were substandard there would be many thousands of cars breaking down every day and there would immediately be headlines in the Daily Mail.

Approx half the fuel sold in the UK is at supermarkets, there has been no national epidemic of car failures.

We have been using fuel from mainly Asda and Tesco with a bit of Morrisons and Tesco's since the mid 80's, never had an issue. When we have to buy branded fuel (when we are on holiday) the car runs no better and does no more mpg.

Supermarket Fuels - Ben 10
Had a visit to a fuel distribution centre near Heathrow.
There were tankers filling up with every livery you can think of. Supermarket chains, the big boys BP, Shell. All from the same outlets and all from the same holding tanks.
So in answer to everyone's query, there is no difference in fuels from whatever forecourt, and as for the big boys putting in extras into their fuels over the supermarkets, that's clearly rubbish. They're all the same quality.
There was no service outlet labelled Shell or BP, they were all filling up their loads at the most available outlets.
Obviously there is a difference between normal unleaded and optimum. But there would be no real difference between the optimum brands as they get it from the same source.
Supermarket Fuels - RT
Had a visit to a fuel distribution centre near Heathrow. There were tankers filling up with every livery you can think of. Supermarket chains, the big boys BP, Shell. All from the same outlets and all from the same holding tanks. So in answer to everyone's query, there is no difference in fuels from whatever forecourt, and as for the big boys putting in extras into their fuels over the supermarkets, that's clearly rubbish. They're all the same quality. There was no service outlet labelled Shell or BP, they were all filling up their loads at the most available outlets. Obviously there is a difference between normal unleaded and optimum. But there would be no real difference between the optimum brands as they get it from the same source.

The brand additives are added when the fuel is transfered from road tanker to filling station underground tank - all fuel has additives but the packages do vary - but since no-one publishes their additive package it's impossible to know if one is better than another.

Supermarket Fuels - madf
Had a visit to a fuel distribution centre near Heathrow. There were tankers filling up with every livery you can think of. Supermarket chains, the big boys BP, Shell. All from the same outlets and all from the same holding tanks. So in answer to everyone's query, there is no difference in fuels from whatever forecourt, and as for the big boys putting in extras into their fuels over the supermarkets, that's clearly rubbish. They're all the same quality. There was no service outlet labelled Shell or BP, they were all filling up their loads at the most available outlets. Obviously there is a difference between normal unleaded and optimum. But there would be no real difference between the optimum brands as they get it from the same source.

The brand additives are added when the fuel is transfered from road tanker to filling station underground tank - all fuel has additives but the packages do vary - but since no-one publishes their additive package it's impossible to know if one is better than another.

tinyurl.com/pdhxfyv

Supermarket Fuels - RT

tinyurl.com/pdhxfyv

A press release made to look like a review - and no comparator to other products.

Supermarket Fuels - Trilogy

I buy at the one closest to me. Esso in the village. It is always as cheap as the local supermarkets. Some days it is cheaper. BTW, I avoid supermarket fuel as much as possible. If I do have to buy it, I buy the minimum necessary. For the little I might sometimes save I really can't see the point.

Edited by Trilogy on 10/01/2015 at 16:13

Supermarket Fuels - xtrailman

I always use supermarket fuel because its cheap and i don't run engines to high milage.

But although the base fuel is the same the additive pack isnt.

According to those who work or have worked in the industry the additives used by some companies are more advanced offering amoung other things improved "cleaners" over what some others use.

The advantage is only seen over high mileages presumably with cleaner injectors etc, so for that reason i just buy the nearest and cheapest.

Edited by xtrailman on 10/01/2015 at 16:56

Supermarket Fuels - balleballe

It's a bit like buying a pair of glasses from an opticians.

Buy them from Tesco/Asda and yes....they will help you see and will meet British standards and tolerances

Buy them from a more professional Opticians though and they will be more accurate and closer to the original prescription.

I can tell the difference between Morrison's fuel and Shell in my car. Don't know too much about other supermarkets to be fair though.

I normally fill up the Mrs' car from Shell as its the closest petrol station. I went to Morrison's in her car and the reserve light came on so I full tanked it from Morrison's. I she drove it the next day and said it sounded louder than normal. This is without her knowing what fuel there was inside

Buy them from Tesco/Asda and yes....they will help you see and will meet British standards and tolerances

Buy them from a more professional Opticians though and they will be more accurate and closer to the original prescription.

What total nonsense.

Opticians don't make lenses, they buy them in made to your prescription just like Tesco's, Asda even Specsavers do.

Its about time some people joined the real world and stopped posting this nonsense.

What total nonsense.

Opticians don't make lenses, they buy them in made to your prescription just like Tesco's, Asda even Specsavers do.

Its about time some people joined the real world and stopped posting this nonsense.

Lens manufacturers make lenses, which comply to British standards. Some lenses are coated, this varies massively with every manufacturer. Many different qualities out there

The manufacturing of your prescription pair of specs is where the difference is, the quality of the shaping, the orientation of the axis, the centration of the lenses etc.....

You wouldn't call it nonsense if you knew what you were talking about.

Supermarket Fuels - alan1302

What total nonsense.

Not all lenses are the same though - therecan be massive differences between cheap and expensive ones - especially in varifocal lenses.

As for fuels - yes, all petrol/diesel will be the same - it's just the additive/cleaners in the fuels that make a difference. Unfortuneately it's hard to know what difference they make/or don't make.

As I thought there is pretty much a 50/50 divide between those who believe the likes of Shell fuel is better quality than supermarket fuels.

I know nothing about this topic, I have never done any major research on this nor do I know any professionals in this field. However, I've been told supermarket fuel has a lesser quality contents than Shell for example, not to the point supermarket fuels would harm your vehicle.

I've read traces of H2O were found in Tesco fuel, that's disturbing and that's the reason why I'm trying to get to the bottom of the issue.

I guess to summarise this issue - it's a matter for each individual, Vpower fuel will have to be 'better' than standard fuels therefore, if you have a spare couple of quid when you will up then I will use Vpower to be on the safe side.

If you own a Ferrari/Bentley/Lambo then you're going to fill up with the best, but the bottom line is this...by using the best/highest price Vpower and such like is it going to improve sound/performace/MPG, if the answer was yes then I'd use nothing else.

All the best,

Leigh.

Supermarket Fuels - brighteyes
Not sure about the wisdom of joining this thread but hey ho here goes. Question, what's the difference between premium baked beans and supermarket own brand? Answer, more often than not its the label on the can. I feel it's the same with fuel, if you feel there's an advantage to additives there are plenty on the market that you can add yourself. If you want the best service from your car, drive it within its limits and service it at the recommended intervals.
Supermarket Fuels - Doc
Not sure about the wisdom of joining this thread but hey ho here goes. Question, what's the difference between premium baked beans and supermarket own brand? Answer, more often than not its the label on the can.

I agree. My car runs much better on M&S beans.

I wouldn't touch those from Lidl!

Supermarket Fuels - RT

Water can be present in any fuel - it comes from condensation of the moisture naturally occuring in air which is in the void at the top of any tank, either depot storage, filling station or vehicle. Reducing condensation is the prime reason for vehicles switching to plastic fuel tanks.

Small amounts of water pass un-noticed in a petrol engine but even small amounts can damage diesel pumps so a water trap is almost always included in the fuel filter of a diesel vehicle, and has to be emptied at specific intervals.

Higher octane petrol is available at many filling stations and modern engine with knock-adjusting ignition systems will release more power from the higher octane fuel, roughly in line with the increase in octane number - pity the price is never in line with the octane number!

Higher cetane diesel is sometimes available but that increase doesn't increase power or economy is diesels in the same way as an octane increase in petrols.

Lens manufacturers make lenses, which comply to British standards. Some lenses are coated, this varies massively with every manufacturer. Many different qualities out there

The manufacturing of your prescription pair of specs is where the difference is, the quality of the shaping, the orientation of the axis, the centration of the lenses etc.....

I m afraid I will have to inform you know exactly what I am talking about. Been a spectaclke wearer for over 50 years. Been wearing varifocals for 15 years. Now a glaucoma sufferer so eye health is very important to me.

All opticians offer a variety of lenses to suit not only your prescription but also your budget. The basic lens will still meet the requirements of your prescription and will be set up in the frame correctly. The more you pay means you tend to get anti scratch coatings, anti reflection coatings, higher refractive index materials etc. but none of these mean yoiu will see better.

But the more you pay does not mean that you are going to get a product that suits you. For many years I visited the same optician and never considered going elsewhere. Eventually they prescibed me varifocals and suggested I have a certain lens that was in the upper price range. All was well but a year later I went back since my reading prescription had clearly changed. They confirmed it had and suggested I have the most expensive lens this time, frame and lenses was £450. I could not get on with them at all. Once your eyes moved from the centre of the lens it was all blurred but the optician would do nothing, not even change the lens type to the one I had been previously happy with. Driving in them was very tiring since you could not move your eyes to check your mirrors, you had to move you entire head, same when pulling out into traffic.

After a few months of argueing I gave up and went to Specsavers. They immediately discovered the distance prescription I had been given was too strong and confirmed the lens was unsuitable for my prescription, they were surpriosed that the very well known and highly respected lens manufacturer had actually made them. So I choose a frame and had them fitted with the exact same design of lens I had been happy with previously, got 2 pairs of varifocals one of which was tinted for just over £300. The result was brilliant, Over the years the design of the lens has inproved/changed but the result has always been the same.

So please don't tell me that I don't know what I am talking about.

Wow.

Supermarket Fuels - gordonbennet

It would be interesting if owners of cars bought new with well known problems, ie EGR valve on the Golf mk6 Diesel, used certain fuels exclusively and compared results over time.

If the ''better'' fuel used meant this expensive problem didn't rear its ugly head on ten examples, whilst the other examples almost all had EGR failure (to the cost of between £300 and £800 depending on the owners assertiveness/luck) then we might get somewhere in this never ending debate.

For what its worth we buy LPG from either a conveniently sited Morrisons mostly or from an indy gas supplier, haven't noticed any difference in running.

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/01/2015 at 11:16

Supermarket Fuels - RT

I've had exactly the opposite - Specsavers lenses and frames were poor quality and my original optician can/does supply better lenses and frames for no more money.

The coatings on Specsavers lenses can be poor quality, readily coming off due to normal use - Specsavers use about 20 different forms of Varifocal pattern but can't explain then in technical terms so you can choose the best for your needs - Specsavers sell high index lenses which are naturally more expensive, as if on commission, when users don't necessarily need them - the cheaper frames won't last between prescription changes - and the level of prescription detail can be poor, they never check Back Vertex Distance which is important to some prescriptions.

IMO comparing Specsavers to a good optician is like comparing bootleg hooch with a decent scotch - in that same order!

The service from any optician depends on which outlet you use.

Over 16 years i have no complaints about the specsavers branch i use, and find the £85 frames (for two) perfect in all ways, although i change them every two years i still use the old ones for gardening and fishing.

I have no idea what additives they use however.

Supermarket Fuels - corax

The service from any optician depends on which outlet you use.

Over 16 years i have no complaints about the specsavers branch i use, and find the £85 frames (for two) perfect in all ways, although i change them every two years i still use the old ones for gardening and fishing.

The service can vary between different branches of Specsavers, it depends on the management and quality of opticians. One branch could not get my prescription right despite going back three times. I went to another branch and the optician immediately realised that the prescription was the wrong way round for each eye.

The coating lasts around four years before I need new lenses. Thought about getting them online but by the time you add high index, coating e.t.c they aren't much cheaper, and there is always the risk that they are incorrect when they arrive in the post.

Supermarket Fuels - alan1302

I m afraid I will have to inform you know exactly what I am talking about. Been a spectaclke wearer for over 50 years. Been wearing varifocals for 15 years. Now a glaucoma sufferer so eye health is very important to me.....

After a few months of argueing I gave up and went to Specsavers. They immediately discovered the distance prescription I had been given was too strong and confirmed the lens was unsuitable for my prescription, they were surpriosed that the very well known and highly respected lens manufacturer had actually made them. So I choose a frame and had them fitted with the exact same design of lens I had been happy with previously, got 2 pairs of varifocals one of which was tinted for just over £300. The result was brilliant, Over the years the design of the lens has inproved/changed but the result has always been the same.

So nothing to do with your lens - you had a wrong prescription. Not sure what any of that had to do with your original point all lenses are the same?

If you have lens that are thr wrong prescrioption it dons't matter who makes them you still won't be able to see correctly!

I m afraid I will have to inform you know exactly what I am talking about. Been a spectaclke wearer for over 50 years. Been wearing varifocals for 15 years. Now a glaucoma sufferer so eye health is very important to me.

All opticians offer a variety of lenses to suit not only your prescription but also your budget. The basic lens will still meet the requirements of your prescription and will be set up in the frame correctly. The more you pay means you tend to get anti scratch coatings, anti reflection coatings, higher refractive index materials etc. but none of these mean yoiu will see better.

But the more you pay does not mean that you are going to get a product that suits you. For many years I visited the same optician and never considered going elsewhere. Eventually they prescibed me varifocals and suggested I have a certain lens that was in the upper price range. All was well but a year later I went back since my reading prescription had clearly changed. They confirmed it had and suggested I have the most expensive lens this time, frame and lenses was £450. I could not get on with them at all. Once your eyes moved from the centre of the lens it was all blurred but the optician would do nothing, not even change the lens type to the one I had been previously happy with. Driving in them was very tiring since you could not move your eyes to check your mirrors, you had to move you entire head, same when pulling out into traffic.

Wearing glasses and suffering from Glaucoma is irrelevant. If I drove a car for 50 years, it doesnt mean I know more or just as much as an engineer who makes engines

Yes, different coatings are available, thinner lenses with higher refractive materials are available as are photochromics and a whole host of other lens types but you are missing the point entirely.

The point I was making was in the manufacture of your spectacles. Refer to British tolerances on spectacle presciptions.

What has your prescription and vaifocal design got to to with anything here? I can go into great depth about varifocal designs and the possible reasons for your issues with your varifocals but they will go over your head. The fact that you had one bad optician and one good optician is irrelevant. The fact that you were given a poor varifocal design with a corridor length and distortion pattern that was not suited to your prescription is just as irrelevant.

Had your prescription been correct from both opticians and you had the same varifocal design, the same variables i mentioned earlier apply when making a pair of glasses. This has little to do with the manufacturer of the lenses but rather with whoever cut and glazed them into a frame and 'set them up' Some will do a more accurate job than others although they both meet british standards and tolerances.

All fuel meets British Standards in the same way - but I can hear the difference between the two 'brands' of fuel I mentioned earlier. The performance seems similar, but the engine just seems louder. It could very well be a placebo effect but I dont have the time to organise a randomised double blind crossover study with a good sample size.

It will be a mistake to imagine that the fuel from all BP stations (for example) will be of the same quality, and better than, fuel from all Tesco stations (for another example). Each outlet will have its own standards of cleanliness, maintenance, frequency of delivery, etc.

As the differences are small, just forget about saving the odd 40p. and buy from the most convenient outlet which involves no extra mileage to get there. It may (probably) have a convenient shop too.

At no point in that Shell promo do they say when or where their additives are actually added. They give me the impression it's put in at source, so along with any high performance fuel. When have you ever seen the driver of the tanker grab a container with that "special" mix and pour into a section. No nor have I
All fuel has cleaning additives and lubricants. The high performing fuel is different from normal unleaded yes, but you are getting the same high performing quality whether it's Murco, Shell or BP. They just dress it up and call it something to lull you in. It's all the same but described by individual companies differently.
It is pure snake oil to believe that your high end BP is different from supermarket high end. They're all the same, from the same distribution pipe work, with no magical fairy tanker driver or forecourt assistant secretly adding those imaginary extra bits in for you to pay a premium for.
Please prove me wrong, but as it stands, no one on here has the proof to back up the market spin that you are paying for a specific magic formula.
Supermarket Fuels - Hamsafar
At no point in that Shell promo do they say when or where their additives are actually added. They give me the impression it's put in at source, so along with any high performance fuel. When have you ever seen the driver of the tanker grab a container with that "special" mix and pour into a section. No nor have I.

I have, until the early 1990s when tankers were loaded from the top and the driver would have a clipboard and paper and choose each pipe and put it in the lids on each compartment and use a dipstick to measure the amount - they would even add the red dye for red diesel.

Due to health and safety, they are now loaded at the 8 or so faucets down one side by computer controlled system which blends the fuel with whatever additives make the fuel meet the customer's specification. As most fuel is now sold by supermarkets and they are only interested in margins, it is not so often at all that additional additives are added. Thsi will only happen when someone like Shell will get their fuel from say a TOTAL depot, they will have their own ~30,000 litre small tank of addivives which is added automatically when the fuel is loaded onto the tanker..

Supermarket Fuels - 72 dudes
Due to health and safety, they are now loaded at the 8 or so faucets down one side by computer controlled system which blends the fuel with whatever additives make the fuel meet the customer's specification.

I work at a supermarket filling station and I'm not convinced you are correct Hamsafar, but I'm going to quiz the next few tanker drivers!

All fuel comes from a limited number of refineries and distribution sources and is the same except for the additives used. FACT.

What I don't know is where these additives are erm... added.

As the poster who visited a refinery said, I can't believe the logistics would allow additives at the point of filling if all kinds of tankers are lining up.

Similarly, I'm not aware of additives being added (automatically or otherwise) when the tanker is unloaded at the fuel station.

Just a note on water content: We have to check a computer readout which detects any moisture or water every time we open up and again after every delivery. It therefore gets checked at least twice every day where I work. Having said that, I know that the local Tesco has had to close twice in recent months, once because of water in the tank and another time when the tanker driver dumped Diesel into the Unleaded tank.

Another interesting fact. Our Super U/L is rated 97 RON and the delivery confirmation readout normally confirms this is what has been delivered. Once, a couple of months back, the delivery confirmation read 99 RON and a different reference number. Luck of the draw and as somebody else said, this must happen at other retailers too.

There was a BBC programme years ago about the fuel, they said the additive pack was added at the refinery.

Supermarket Fuels - KB.

I simply can't see the point.

Oh, Damn! ... I 'aven't got me specs on.

Ah, that's better.

I have nothing to add to the original supermarket versus the rest debate - especially given that I've been reading similar threads since I was a boy. Or does it just feel that way?

I'm fortunate enough to have a local Shell garage that's always cheaper than the rest - so there's no point in using supermarket fuel...but would happily use it if away from home - and have done and never noticed a scrap of difference.

(Who remembers National Benzine and Cleveland Discol...I remember that you could get it in get five star flavour and you thought you was a real cool dude if you put that in your Consul or Anglia).

(And it cost you 5/- a gallon too)

And I now wouldn't go anywhere other than Specsavers. If ever I, or the wife, have had any sort of issue with a prescription or with a screw coming loose or me sitting on a pair and bending them, they sort you out straight away without complaint or (usually) extra cost and I find them to be as good, and cheaper, than the so so called "professionals" in posh shops.

Fire away...I'v got me tin 'at on.

>>I remember that you could get it in get five star

I had a 2-litre Vitesse that required 100 octane (IIRC the Rover P6 2000 TC also ran on the stuff).

It was never really happy on 4-star and lost its 'edge'.

Supermarket Fuels - RT
And I now wouldn't go anywhere other than Specsavers. If ever I, or the wife, have had any sort of issue with a prescription or with a screw coming loose or me sitting on a pair and bending them, they sort you out straight away without complaint or (usually) extra cost and I find them to be as good, and cheaper, than the so so called "professionals" in posh shops.

Fire away...I'v got me tin 'at on.

Any optician will do that, it's an industry standard so even if you're away from home they'll do repairs FOC.

Supermarket Fuels - industryman

Just sold our shopping car. Petrol/multi point fuel injection, 14 years and 126,000 miles in our ownership. Run exclusively on supermarket fuels (usually Tesco and Morrisons). Engine never dismantled and only non service engine components replaced were thermostat and distributor. Always started first time and ran perfectly, and never needed oil top ups between 10,000 mile changes.

(Who remembers National Benzine and Cleveland Discol... I do ...

And I now wouldn't go anywhere other than Specsavers.

And as to Specsavers, I return to my point above. One can't generalise about Tesco or BP fuel - there will always be good or bad examples because of the human element. My wife had a long saga with our local Specsavers branch failing to get her specs right. After 4 or 5 attempts and failures, she got satisfactory ones somewhere else.

Just as there are good and bad VW dealers .... or even perhaps KwikFit places ?

Supermarket Fuels - Manatee

Surely you can generalise about Tesco vs. BP fuel?

I agree that you can't generalise at all about opticians. Many are franchises anyway, and even if they aren't then the attitude and competence of the humans will vary. My local branch of Specsavers is (or was) terrible. At distance, I could see better without the specs they gave me than with.

A subsequent eyetest at Costco (very good optician at the MK branch, though the experience with the dispensers was less good) resulted in a different prescription and a much better pair of specs.

Well, yes, of course one can generalise. I was trying to say that one shouldn't presume that every Tesco or BP outlet will conform to one's generalisation. To start with, outlets in different parts of the UK will be supplied from different sources - never mind the local variations I mentioned above.

Well, yes, of course one can generalise. I was trying to say that one shouldn't presume that every Tesco or BP outlet will conform to one's generalisation. To start with, outlets in different parts of the UK will be supplied from different sources - never mind the local variations I mentioned above.

It seems likely that there will be more variation in Tesco fuel than BP's - though I don't know that that is the case.

I say that because I doubt if Tesco haas fuel "designed" and made for it - they do not have a fuel brand as such, and quite possibly will take fuel from any source that meets the EU standards. BP's base fuel may not differ from Tesco's, at least if it comes from the same refinery, but the additive package will be proprietary. That doesn't of itself mean Tesco's won't meet the standards, or be more likely to harm your engine.

But that's just me rationalising a bit - I don't know what Tesco does.

I just remembered I posted something a while back, based on information I got from my petroleum chemist friend.

It's here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=91079&...0

Supermarket Fuels - mark999

I say that because I doubt if Tesco haas fuel "designed" and made for it - they do not have a fuel brand as such.

Tesco Momentum 99 RON is formulated by Green energy for Tesco.

I'm pretty sure the additive goes in at the distribution depot. A neighbour of mine drove a fuel tanker out of Buncefield depot (pre-explosion) and whilst the base fuel is the same, the additive that goes in with it is determined by where it is going. I think he had to insert a card or something and the process was automatic.

Another friend, now sadly deceased, was a petroleum chemist who among other things worked on the EU fuel standards. He commuted to Rotterdam most weeks in his diesel Mercedes, which he ran on BP/Shell/Total "super" diesel (not sure that the Total Excellium is even available now, I never see it).

He said that additives aside, these fuels were also inherently cleaner than standard diesel, being made at least partly from gas rather than just a cut of crude oil (they are known as GTL or gas to liquid fuels). Hence less soot, cleaner injectors.

He never said so, but I infer that they are likley to result in less clag in the dpf too, and I use nothing else now.

The differences for petrol are just about the additive pack as far as I know. But the "superfuels" will almost certainly result in a cleaner engine was my friend's view. I run our second car, a turbo petrol, on Shell Vpower/BP Ultimate too.

But you pays yer money.

Supermarket Fuels - KB.

There's an important affinity between the two topics of supermarket petrol and glasses: You've got to check the specs.

I'd offer to get me coat but I just can't find the darned thing...must get me eyes tested!

Supermarket Fuels - brum

In the Uk i think GTL is exclusively a Shell thing and afaik is only present in their Vpower diesel as a blend, not present / not applicable in vpower petrol. I think the shell gtl plant is in Quatar...

Much myth abounds.....this must be the upteenth thread on this subject in this forum, but the first one to discuss spectacle lenses!

I would not recommend filling your tank with baked beans either, even Waitrose premium!

Supermarket Fuels - Avant

Baked beans definitely inadvisable - think of the effect on emissions....

(Nice one, KB, by the way!)

Supermarket Fuels - RT

Baked beans definitely inadvisable - think of the effect on emissions....

(Nice one, KB, by the way!)

Methane burns nicely !!

What effect would baked beans have on a DPF?

Anyway there is a difference with baked beans, try a cheap version and you will soon notice how poor the sauce is.

Supermarket Fuels - coopshere
I have eaten baked beans in different countries from cans that have had different labels, some of which I have been unable to read the small print on even whilst wearing varifocals from both a non Specsavers source and from Specsavers too. However the end result has always been the same and none has made me move any faster.
Supermarket Fuels - nortones2

Has no-one tried curried baked beans? Until then, it's an incomplete assessment. We make Boston baked beans from time to time. Movement guaranteed....

Supermarket Fuels - groaver

The short-lived HP sauce coated beans were like nitrous oxide to the bowels.

I damn well nearly did my big ends in! Oh! but the flavour of those beans.

Sorry, what was the topic again? ;)

Supermarket Fuels - robsterm

I used to fill up in Tesco, but after having problems with my fuel injectors I've started to used BP or Shell only! I wouldn't trust supermarket fuels again, some say they all come from the same place, but who knows!

Supermarket Fuels - piggy

I`m of the opinion that the benifits or otherwise of premium fuels depend on the engine/car involved. My Mazda certanly likes Shell V Power. It runs much nicer when cold and throttle response is better. The same petrol in my wife`s Jazz seems not to make any difference and she probably would not notice anyway. Yer pays yer money and takes yer choice.:-)

I wouldn't trust supermarket fuels again, some say they all come from the same place, but who knows!

It has to come from the same place (i.e.refinery, see above posts). It's what's happened to it afterwards that makes the difference.

Supermarket Fuels - galileo

I wouldn't trust supermarket fuels again, some say they all come from the same place, but who knows!

It has to come from the same place (i.e.refinery, see above posts). It's what's happened to it afterwards that makes the difference.

Came across the following on a forum:

I actually ran my race bike on a dyno once to see what the difference was between supermarket and V power. Same bike, same dyno, same day the V power gave 4bhp more. Not a great deal I agree but in a scenario where 1000ths of a second count I used to use it all the time.

When running my Sprinters I'd regularly get 100 miles per tank more on the expensive as opposed to supermarket stuff, but it's horses for courses really. I do once remember when I was on tankers and delivering fuel additive to Hemel Hempstead talking to a boffin employed by BP and he told me that for pure quality no other fuel could match Shell. Make of that what you will.

Supermarket Fuels - brum

Again, imo some heresay taken out of context and misinterpreted.

4 bhp difference is within measuring tolerance on a dyno when you consider other variables a lot of which are external and certainly a race bike would be difficult to get a consistent result.

BP boffin talking Shell quality? Yes he would, because hes talking about Shell Vpower DIESEL which has a proportion of GTL which is synthetically derived from LPG and inherently has lower sulphur and other undesired content.

As for 100 miles more per tank, well I'll accept your statement at face value, but have you really been scientific about how you worked that out? Might just be the pump click off point, might be route differences, might be weather, might be inclinination to self justify extra expense.

Premium fuels such as Vpower will have more aggressive detergent additives, so a vehicle with coked injectors spraying poorly will see improvement over time back to its original efficiency.

Supermarket Fuels - SteveLee
Most modern cars have knock sensors which are used to advance ignition timing to take advantage of higher octane fuel - most (if not all) Jap bikes have fixed ignition timing and will not take advantage of "better" fuel. Some Triumphs and BMW S1000Rs will. Most German cars are tested with high octane fuel - particularly BMWs - if you run 95RON you will not get the rated economy or horsepower - the likes of Ford and Vauxhall don't play this trick.

>>Most modern cars have knock sensors which are used to advance ignition timing

I understood knock sensors detected pinking and retarded the ignition to suit?

The ignition timing's defined by a 3-D map.

Supermarket Fuels - RT

>>Most modern cars have knock sensors which are used to advance ignition timing

I understood knock sensors detected pinking and retarded the ignition to suit?

The ignition timing's defined by a 3-D map.

They're almost the same thing - the ECU continuously tries to advance the ignition to optimize emissions, power and economy but therefore has to keep retarding ingintion as knock starts - having done so, the advancing starts again - all done in microseconds.

It's the base timing that's defined by a 3-D map.

Supermarket Fuels - alastairq

In the past...someone will now it, a tuning company did a test to find the [98 octane] fuel which gave the test engine the most power......it was Tesco, believe it or not.

In the end, it's all about personal finances.....I'm not well-off, fiancially, so I get the cheapest fuel, and only when I HAVE to be in the area for some other reason...ASDA being the weapon of choice.

In just the same vein, I don't buy tyres just because of the brand name.I buy on price alone.

I have no issues with fuel quality, since I drive to get from A to B. [although I enjoy doing it]

I have no issues with whoever made my tyres, since I will never try to push those tyres beyond acceptable limits ...in other words, I don't care whether they're made by Michelin or Lapsangsoochong, I still do not place faith in them....adjusting my driving style to suit the conditions....rather than, hoping the tyres will grip enough to keep me out of trouble. I have , too many times in the past, been disapponted with tyres enough not to 'trust' anybody's.

The Daihatsu is old-school diesel, so will run on anything....and doesn't have dpxyz filters and floppy flywheels to worry about.

Supermarket Fuels - brum

Agree with the fuel philosophy, but tyres (and brakes) are two vital safety critical items I do not play the "get the cheapest" game with. With tyres, not necessarily choose the ultimate performance as this is a complex issue with many variables, with compromises needed. Value for money is an issue, but cheapest definitely not.

This thread seems to have forgotten about fuel and supermarkets and settled on budget tyres?

Supermarket Fuels - dan86

This thread seems to have forgotten about fuel and supermarkets and settled on budget tyres?

And eye test lol

>> I don't buy tyres just because of the brand name.I buy on price alone.

Welcome to the world of 'ditchfinders'!

Never yet found a ditch....been trying for nearly 50 years too.

Having driven many types of vehicle, owned by someone else, I have had zero choice with regards to tyre make.

I ensure legality, soundness and pressure...but have no choice over what the owner choses to fit.

Hence, I place zero reliance on the tyres under me to get me out of trouble...preferring not to get into trouble in the first instance.

I find I soon get to know the limitations, and positives, of whatever tyres are under me.

So, I'm not taking chances, and don't expect miracles from them, either.

AFter all, once one's tryes are becoming worn [out?] then it doesn't matter who made them, or how much they cost, they are not going to 'perform' as well as they once did.

When one buys a 2nd hand vehicle, one is perforce to accept the tyres it comes on.

How many of you buy a brand new car, and immediately change all the tyres, simply because you have issues with the make?

Tyres I would avoid are Goodyear, Dunlop [given the choice] Uniroyal, Michelin [some of them] Continental....but I am quite happy with the cheaper brands, which inevitably are owned by the aformentioned makes....plus, I am happy with remoulds..most especially Kingpin..although I miss the passing of Colway.

I have yet to be disappointed with the cheapest of tyres.....I have found great dismay with the performance of the so-called top brands.....I suppose it's about 'expectations?'

In the tyre tests I have read in the past whilst budget tyres have only a little less grip in dry conditions their gip in wet conditions can be much less. The one area where they generally fall down is under emergency braking which regardless how carefull you drive is something which cannot be avoided on occasions. The extra distance the budget tyres require to stop can resul in an accident whch could well have been avoided with better tyres. If that accident resulted in the death of a child how would you feel with the knowledge that your budget tyres could well have been a contributory factor in their death even if the child was to blame.

Alastair
The tyres you avoid come top in tests for wet driving and stopping as Skidpan says. So you'd rather place cost over safety? Though I cannot see why they have to charge so much for them.
Supermarket Fuels - gordonbennet
When one buys a 2nd hand vehicle, one is perforce to accept the tyres it comes on.

How many of you buy a brand new car, and immediately change all the tyres, simply because you have issues with the make?

Tentatively raises hand like he once did in the fourth form...'me sir'.

Once a tyre lets go IMO too easily or doesn't do what i expect of it, the set get removed and sold on and i search via my usual online sources for a set of my own short list at the right price.

I've removed tyres with 8mm on them before now and seldom even with very good tyres do my tyres get below 4mm before replacement.

Removed OE fitment Pirellis from the brand new Hilux within 1000 miles and replaced them with General Altimax UHP's (Vredestein Wintrac in season, superb), the Pirellis were awful but sold on easily for about £40 less than the Generals cost to supply and fit.

I have to drive company owned lorries all year round, with tyres that whilst very legal and perfectly adequate for the task are not what i would choose if the vehicle were mine (i would specify winter tyres for the drive axle at the very least and would not recut any tractor unit/prime mover tyres), so i'm blowed if i'm going to have anything that i'm not entirely happy with on my own vehicles.

My car tyre of choice at the moment is Uniroyal Rainsport 3 for summer use and Nokian winters on the MB, and we run Nokian Z summers and Cooper Weathermaster winters on the Subaru Outback.

All bought cheaply online from a shortlist of makes/models, in most cases as cheap as Chinese tyres could be found at a local tyre place.

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/01/2015 at 14:28

<<<<<Alastair

The tyres you avoid come top in tests for wet driving and stopping as Skidpan says. So you'd rather place cost over safety? >>>>>

Oh, absolutely!

because tests are just that....just like schoolboy experiments!

In the past ..maybe..30-odd years I have never had to perform a balls-out, foot-to-the-floor emergency-type stop. And that is with driving all day, every day, in a great variety of vehicles....including double deck buses in manic urban areas.

For the past 18 years I have been at the sharp end of driver instruction,including skid instruction [using the Swedish Cedergrens skid frame system]

Part of the instruction I, and my colleagues, deliver concerns braking and avoidance techniques.

It is a very simple process...and is made easier by improved driver awareness.

But much of a tyre's stopping abiltiy in adverse conditions is down to the varying type of road surface, and what lies on it. Not forgetting, how the driver initially responds, and what they actually do with the controls.

So the ability for any given driver to stop in a shorter distance is just as much influenced by other factors, as the tyre's ability to stop.

Indeed,sometimes, whilst the initial response is to try and stop, it is subsequently found to be better to not try to stop.

The point I'm making is...whilst tyres will be an important aspect in keeping a lot of drivers 'safe', they aren't the absolute must-have fix.

I would sooner a driver got more education from the variety of sources available, than to rely entirely on what are deemed by others to be, the very best tyres money can buy.

Incidentally, in 25 years of driving buses for a living, I never ever had a 'child suddenly run out in front of me'.....For sure, they did run out, but it was never a surprise....so therefore was dealt with, without drama.

The often-quoted example of the running child is , for me, dramatics, pure and simple.

Well that puts us all in our place.

alastairq is clearly a driving god and can overcome the inadequacies of his tyres with his incredible technique.

Clearly an expert and we all know what an "expert " is.

Ah, another snide dig from Skidpan. Normal service has been resumed.

Ah, another snide dig from Skidpan. Normal service has been resumed.

Well spotted.

Supermarket Fuels - Snakey

I'm guessing all supermarket fuels have to reach a number of standards to be sold in the UK, therefore the 'big brands' such as BP/Shell etc are selling the same stuff, but with their own additives with their own claims of performance gains etc.

Personally I use either, ironically the Shell garage on my commute is about 1-2p a litre cheaper than the Tesco - so I'm using Shell at the minute!

What concerns me more is the condition of pumps (and therefore I assume the tanks) of some garages - generally the supermarkets look well maintained, as do the Shell/BP ones, but at a local Harvest station the pumps are very tatty looking (rusty exterior etc) which does not inspire confidence.

Maybe its just my cars, but I've never noticed any performance benefit using a vpower or similar type of fuel over a standard unleaded.

Edited by alastairq on 19/01/2015 at 07:17

>>Incidentally, in 25 years of driving buses for a living, I never ever had a 'child suddenly run out in front of me'.

In forty years, I've had two.

The first ran out from behind a parked car, just after I'd turned a corner. Fortunately my speed was slow and I just pushed him over as I did an emergency stop. He ran off. I reported it to the police, but never heard anything.

The second got off a bus and walking round the front of it, stepped out. I slammed on the brakes and put the fan on my Triumph Vitesse through the radiator, because the engine retaining Bowden cable had corroded, but I missed the kid.

Well that puts us all in our place.

alastairq is clearly a driving god and can overcome the inadequacies of his tyres with his incredible technique.

Obviously you don't know what an expert is? As for being a 'driving God'?, then in comparison, maybe I am...certainly my abilities as a driver are assessed rigorously....when was the last time your driving standards were looked at?

However, since I instruct at a high level, for a living, and have done so for years, after spending even more years driving for a living, all I will say is..if I can do it, so can anybody.

The secret is simple. Try making yourself more aware of what is actually going on when driving.

The point I wanted to make was...regardless of what one's purchasing policy is, there will always be limitations.....which should be considered when adopting a drivng style.

The use of 'safety' is an emotive and misleading argument....it is the driver who creates the safest environment when driving, not the price of the equipment.

Edited by alastairq on 19/01/2015 at 07:22

Supermarket Fuels - scot22

It is a pity that some people have the need to make snide remarks. I do not know what purpose it serves.

If I have the opportunity to find out what someone who has relevant experience has to say, I prefer to benefit from increasing my knowledge and not have a closed mind.

Worthwhile debate is hampered when point scoring is introduced.

Quite why people want to take a risk on supermarket fuel v e.g Shell/Esso for what they save a year is beyond me. I know of someone who had a new BMW 5 series. To save peanuts (a couple of pence a litre) every other refill was at a supermarket. This penny pinching is a drop in the ocean. More often than not I see a queue at supermarket filling stations too. IMO, this really is a non story.

Since all fuel is exactly the same buy where you want and what makes you happy.

We buy from mainly Tesco, we get it while we are shopping. With the points we have been getting 20p a litre off one monthly fill up since July/August which makes for a good saving.

But if I did not shop at Tesco I would not go there to buy my fuel. Asda is more convenient.

You have to queue at most places from time to time. If you don't want to queue drive on.

We save approx. £100 a year with a 5p a litre saving and that is better in my pocket than the oil companies profits. With the xtra savings Tesco have been offering for the last 6 months we have probably saved another £130. That brings my savings up to approx £230 over the past 12 months.

In my opinion £230 is not a drop in the ocean.

Supermarket Fuels - RT

Quite why people want to take a risk on supermarket fuel v e.g Shell/Esso for what they save a year is beyond me. I know of someone who had a new BMW 5 series. To save peanuts (a couple of pence a litre) every other refill was at a supermarket. This penny pinching is a drop in the ocean. More often than not I see a queue at supermarket filling stations too. IMO, this really is a non story.

What risk?

I'd rather go to a big chain with a national reputation to uphold than a one man filling station that happens to display big brand logo's and who's fuel is a lot less fresh - it does go off.

If the big brands want credibility, all they need to do is publish their additives packages for public scrutiny.

skidpan, you are obviously doing enough miles/using enough fuel, and with Tesco points and their extra offer (which I'd forgotten about) to make it worthwhile. I stand corrected for those making that kind of saving. BTW, I get Tesco points when I fill up at Esso, so get that benefit too. Therefore the difference between supermarket and is even less than I thought. 'Drop in the ocean' was referring to the BMW owner doing the every other fill up.

I know of people who do less than 10,000 miles a year with a 50 mpg car. They buy from supermarkets and think it worthwhile saving peanuts. By the time people have bought one/two over priced packets of crisps, sweets, snacks when paying in supermarket filling station the saving is gone. I never get sucked in to do this. Not that gullible. At about 9 pence a gallon the saving is a paltry £18 a year/ 36 pence a week. Or at 15,000 mles a year/50 mpg = £27/ 54 pence a week. Less than the price of just about any newspaper and certainly takeway coffee.

Risk? Nobody seems to know for sure if there is a difference. If supermarket fuel is inferior I am not prepared to take the risk. We know what happened to hundreds/thousands of Morrsons customers a few years back. Don't remember that ever happening with Esso/Shell.

Off? Where to? My local Esso has lots of customers. Opens to 11.00pm on an 'A' road straight through the village. This isn't a one man filling staion. Tesco points, great prices too. Reduced even more on selected days per week. Employs staff from my village. All good.

Edited by Trilogy on 19/01/2015 at 13:59

Supermarket Fuels - RT
Risk? Nobody seems to know for sure if there is a difference. If supermarket fuel is inferior I am not prepared to take the risk. We know what happened to hundreds/thousands of Morrsons customers a few years back. Don't remember that ever happening with Esso/Shell.

You don't remember the debacle of police Vauxhall Senators, all using the same big brand under contract that needed regular engine rebuilds because of valve damage - the big brand concerned eventually withdrew the fuel - I can't remember which big brand so I won't guess.

Bad batches, contaminated deliveries do occur - affecting supermarkets and big brands - thankfully rarely in both cases.

We do not do a huge mileage, about 20,000 a year in total. Our cars average about 45 mpg overall. In our area "branded" fuels are at the very least 5p a litre more expensive than supermarket fuel which is over 20 pence a gallon. That is how the £100 annual saving was calculated. The Tesco fuel save has been the icing on the cake for the past 6 months.

As for risk of buying from a supermarket this is no greater than buying at other filling stations. The Morrisons issue a few years ago only affected a small geographic area and relatively few vehicles. At at last they sorted it. Buying from a branded site with a slow tunover is more risky in my book, have an issue and there would be no national press coverage or monies refunded. Approx 50% of fuel in the UK is bought form supermarkets and if there was an issue the Daily Mail would make sure we knew about it. Most fuel related issues in cars are simply poor maintenance.

Skid pan, the problem is no one has yet come up with a definitiive answer over the issue of which is best.

BTW, do you get your car serviced at a main dealer or an independent?

Does it matter. You will disagree with whatever I do.

Yes it does. But have you the courage to answer?

Yes it does. But have you the courage to answer?

What the hell does courage have to do with it.

For what its worth main dealer everytime.

No warranty arguments.

Campaign updates carried out FOC.

In the case of the Kia annual body inpesection carried out FOC.

In the case of the Seat the service plan when bought with the car costs only £10 a month.

Dad had his Micra serviced at a local indy once, he was ill at the time and to get the car collected, serviced, MOT'd, brake fluid changed all for £200 looked like a decent deal. Following week Nissan dealer rang me asking why they had not seen it this year. When he told me they would have charged £150 for the same work and colleced free I was stunned.

***UPDATE RELEVANT TO MY ORIGINAL POST***

I have conducted my own experiement recently regarding this, as I couldn't find any evidence to suggest premium diesel was better than supermarket fuels.

Firstly, for the whole of December I put Shell V Power Diesel in my 64 plate Mini Cooper SD, at £1.21 oer litre.

Secondly, for the whole of January so far I have used the cheapest diesel I can find, Asda at £1.10 per litre.

On New Years Eve the car was showing 51mpg (after a month of V power) today, driving in to work, it has dropped to 44.9mpg.

You might be thinking "yeah, but he might be driving it harder etc" however, I have not, my journey daily has not changed in this time. I find the car less responsive and I'm actually having to now drive the vehicle much slower to see if that makes any difference, however, it doesn't appear to be making any difference. In fact the 'better' I drive it I'm noticing the mpg is dropping radiply along with the remaining miles in the tank.

As I've said before, I know nothing about the technicalities of motor vehicles and how exactly an engine operates, however - due to my findings I conclude the following, since using Asda fuel my car is losing mpg at a rate of knots. I now know that my car ran alot better with V Power diesel.

To note, a friend of mine has a 13 plate 118d, he has done a similar experiment however, rather than using V power diesel he was using the standard Shell Diesel for a month, this month he has been using Asda also and he has noticed a 5mpg drop on his on board computer and he also stated the car was less responsive and louder with Tesco fuel.

A confusing debate, I guess it is all to do with the vehicle you drive and finding the fuel that suits that vehicle best. I don't think you can generalise too much on this topic, it appears to be a case to case judgement.

Edited by AllTheGearNoIdea on 21/01/2015 at 08:55

Not conclusive in any way.

December was pretty mild but for the last week. January has been a cooler month (but not arctic). Temp makes a huge difference especially in diesels.

You have not said how many miles you did in December or have done in January.

You have not said if you did any longer trips over the X-Mas/New Year period to see friends, relatives etc like most do.

The final fact is I presume you have been taking these readings from the dash and these displays are notoriously innacurate.

Only way to do and get some reasonably worthwhile data it is over a much longer period using several tank to tank fill ups.

Supermarket Fuels - madf

Agree with Sjidpan.

I trained as a physicist and as such (pedant!) keep logs of all fuel consumed..Unless you use a spreadsheet or Fuelly - to cater for unequal filling up levels - and measure over a couple of thosuand miles - with identyical temperatures and running conditions - traffic, routes, speed etc - any comparisons of mpg are risible.

EDIT

And BTW testing on one tank full of any fuel is meaningless as well. You need at least three so any detergents are not diluted, and to ensure they have an impact..

As it's winter just now, my mpg falls 3 from its annuall average..

Edited by madf on 21/01/2015 at 10:05

Supermarket Fuels - RT

From my own recording of fuel consumption, I find the seasonal variation, 3-4 mph on a 33 annual average, is enough to render useless any before-after figures for average drivers, ie 12,000/year. I certainly can't get consistency with 1,000 mile checks.

At 50,000/year I'm sure something definite could be deduced

I was talking to a friend about this subject last night. His father keeps a log of all fuel bought for every car he has owned. He found consumption was worse when he used supermarket fuel. There was no financial gain by buying it instead of Shell, in his experience. Seems others have different findings.

Stop Press. My Esso filling station is now only £0.01 more each litre than T****. And I get T**** points with every purchase. As for the ascertion ot could be older than supermarket fuel, well, the tanks could be smaller so it may well be fresher than supermarket fuel.

HJ www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/12476/supermarke...l-

An independent opinion with a twist. www.autofuelfix.com/blog/supermarket-fuel-vs-brand...e

Supermarket fuel Vs the branded fuel, What’s the difference?

This is a subject that has been discussed on a regular basis throughout motoring forums, whether you get inferior fuel from a supermarket garage compared to the likes of a Shell, BP or Esso petrol stations.

All fuels that are sold in the UK, Petrol or Diesel, will conform to the relevant British Standards. What this means to the general user is that they should all work generally the same way and using the same fuel type from any garage should not cause any issues with your vehicle.<*** class="alignright size-medium wp-image-301" src="http://www.autofuelfix.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/23996567_s-300x200.jpg" alt="Supermarket Vs branded fuels" width="300" height="200" />

All petrol stations use a standard ‘base’ fuel which is supplied from the same refineries across the UK no matter what petrol pump it will end up being pumped from into your tank. The only difference is, the various additives that the different companies add to their fuel before it ends up in your tank. Baring this in mind, it could be the possible reason why some drivers report that their car runs better on some garage fuels over others.

So are Supermarket fuels poorer quality?

The simple answer is in general NO, the fuel all (as mentioned in the above paragraph) comes from the same refineries. BUT the different fuel outlets whether it be a branded filling station or a supermarket filling station, will define a minimum performance level required from the fuel, which results in different levels & types of additives added to the ‘base’ fuel. These additivies can effect the MPG and general running of the vehicle that some drivers may experience more extremely than others, in some cases you may not even notice any difference at all.

Conclusion

Depending on what type of vehicle you are driving, whether it’s been tuned or has a standard map, you may notice differences between using different filling stations, even between the branded ones. BUT the fuel is all from the same refineries which all meets the Britsh Standards, so you can use any to fill up your vehicle with petrol or diesel, knowing it’s all of the same ‘base’ fuel.

<*** class="avatar avatar-60 photo" src="http://0.gravatar.com/avatar/2847d2741f937d7976dcbf2fdc7c3b76?s=60&d=http%3A%2F%2F0.gravatar.com%2Favatar%2Fad516503a11cd5ca435acc9bb6523536%3Fs%3D60&r=G" alt="" width="60" height="60" /> Andy Laywood August 28, 2014 at 6:03 am

Not all fuels are the same I have a Delphi fuel quality tester and I have tested supermarket fuels from various stations and found up to 18% bio diesel in some fuels. The problem there being that the diesel manufacturers only design there systems to take up to 6% bio diesel, hence lots of damaged diesel components and big bills for are customers.

Thanks for the above link, it backs up my research.

There are several pig headed people posting on here, which actually makes me consider whether or not I want to post on here, it would appear (from generalising) there are a lot of middle age, lonely men being highly critical of posts, blokes who probably live alone with a 1.6 Astra sitting outside.

My advice to those individuals...stop being critical, take peoples points of view, if you disagree then fine - just word it in a less abrupt way.

Honest John Admin - can't you monitor and remove idiots who constantly slate others.

Supermarket Fuels - brum

There are several pig headed people posting on here, which actually makes me consider whether or not I want to post on here, it would appear (from generalising) there are a lot of middle age, lonely men being highly critical of posts, blokes who probably live alone with a 1.6 Astra sitting outside.

My advice to those individuals...stop being critical, take peoples points of view, if you disagree then fine - just word it in a less abrupt way.

Honest John Admin - can't you monitor and remove idiots who constantly slate others.

I'll have you know that I am neither middle aged nor lonely! I am 63 and have a dog....and how did you know about my cherished Astra?? Are you trying to mock me?

I agree that the admin should remove you AllTheGearNoIdea for your inflamatory post, further you should be banned from all other motoring forums for a minimum of six years......perhaps the government should consider deporting you to somewhere not very nice..;)

I agree with you: there is never a need for rudeness. I do remove gratuitously offensive posts, although a forum is a place for free speech and we must expect people to disagree strongly.

I look at every thread but I find this particular topic so ineffably boring (second only to 'cyclists v motorists') that I confess that I may not have read every word of every post!

Supermarket Fuels - brum

I find this particular topic so ineffably boring

I think that sums up a lot of backroom chitchat nicely..

Btw I was joking about banning AllTheGearNoldea, also about me not being middle aged...I am only 73

Edit: on second thoughts he should be banned for starting such a boring thread thats been covered at least 50 times before....;)

Edited by brum on 21/01/2015 at 13:03

Supermarket Fuels - nortones2

At present, EU requirements are not specific on detergency, AFAIK, but until an equivalent to "Top Tier" fuels is put in place those fuels which make claims for cleanliness might be prudent to use.

Reference to the 6 engine manufacturers (MB, GM, VW, Honda, BMW and Toyota) and Top Tier fuels here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Tier_Detergent_Gasoline

Supermarket Fuels - brum

What is this "Gasoline" you speak of???

The talkative sister of Vaseline and Kerosene.

Gasoline, Vaseline and Kerosene. Fuel to the flames?

Avant, perhaps time to draw a line under this topic and lock it?

With luck it'll burn itself out....

Supermarket Fuels - RT

With luck it'll burn itself out....

But which fuel would burn it out quicker - that's if you can still see it

Time for one or two of these. www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Th7QpmDVcY

So you start a thread asking for peoples opinions and then since you appear to have decided you don't like some of these opinions you want the posters banning.

Can I give you something to think about. Myself and other have opinions and we come on here to voice them. Being human those opinions differ sometimes.

But for you to come on here as a relatively new poster and begin to categorise these posters just because you don't like what they say and without knowing them is bang out of order.

For the record I don't have an Astra and have never owned them and I don't live alone either.

Discussions on fuel consumption and supermarket fuel have long been the mainstay of many forums. One forum I used to frequent tried to ban such posts but they gave up.

Edited by skidpan on 21/01/2015 at 15:20

Supermarket Fuels - brum

Tsk tsk...skidpan playing the "I am a long standing member, you are a newbie, how dare you" card....

Shut this thread down before war breaks out.....

Edited by brum on 21/01/2015 at 15:49

I have an Astra................................only joking! Never had a Vauxhall yet. Probably never will.

Best I don't take sides.

Tsk tsk...skidpan playing the "I am a long standing member, you are a newbie, how dare you" card....

For the record, this time I'm on the newbie's side

Shut this thread down before war breaks out.....

Brum

Check your facts.

Been posting on here since 2012 approx. Hardly a newbie.

If you want a war you will have one.

There won't be any war on here.

Of course, we would never ban any reasonable motoring topic, so if anyone wants to scintillate us with more thoughts on fuel additives, by all means start another thread.

This one's closing.