Clio 1.2 petrol. - Going to view a car, negotiate on price? - lucklesspedestrian

Hi

Going to see a nice looking 57 plate Clio at a dealers this the weekend as a potential first car for oldest daughter.

Looking around, for the year, miles (52K) and spec it's a reasonable enough price (£2870) and what attracted me was the offer of a 24 month warranty thrown in for free.

Spoke to the dealer on the phone who confirmed it's a 'national warranty' didn't say what company.

So, 2 questions: 1) Is there anything I should look out for when examining the fine print of the warranty? and 2) Do you think there's still room to negotiate on price for 'no trade in'?

Wish me luck and thanks in advance!

Clio 1.2 petrol. - Going to view a car, negotiate on price? - Bianconeri
Everything is negotiable all of the time. Shy boys get nowt. The price will not go up so what do you have to lose?
Clio 1.2 petrol. - Going to view a car, negotiate on price? - RobJP

If someone is offering a 2 year warranty on a car of that age, you can guarantee it'll have a list of exclusions a mile long.

I'd be tempted to ask them how much they'd knock off the price to just give you the statutory 6 months warranty from themselves.

Clio 1.2 petrol. - Going to view a car, negotiate on price? - bathtub tom

I would think folk don't have much cash this time of year due to spending on Christmas. Certainly haggle and if they're trying to charge extra for the 'so called' warranty, you can always refuse it.

Clio 1.2 petrol. - Going to view a car, negotiate on price? - Andrew-T

If you have no part-ex you should make a cheeky but not outrageous offer, as far below the asking price as you feel comfortable with. There may be some sucking of teeth, or 'I'll have to ask the manager', but it's getting near Christmas and most punters are spending elsewhere, so the dealer may be glad of any sale. Go for it. The windscreen price is only paid by the unadventurous, or those needing to trade in.

Certainly ask for a basic warranty - if the car is a good one you may never need it, and you can use the money saved to fix any small problems that arise (and may not be covered anyway).

Edited by Andrew-T on 04/12/2014 at 22:56

Clio 1.2 petrol. - Going to view a car, negotiate on price? - Snakey

At that price a 24 month warranty thrown in for 'free' is surely going to be absolutely worthless? It might cover catastrophic engine failure but thats probably your lot.

I tend to buy a lot of my cars around this time of year as the dealers are more inclined to accept a lower offer, or at least give a decent incentive.

Clio 1.2 petrol. - Going to view a car, negotiate on price? - pd

What discount is available depends on what margin they have and how desperate they are to shift it. Remember that the best deal might be the dealer who offers no discount at all so don't focus on this. Focus on the price compared to similar cars and whether it is a nice car or not.

Whilst some dealers are keen to shift metal this time of year, most know full well that come first week of January trade prices will shoot up as the trade starts stocking for Spring so they're not always thay keen to sell a car for less than they know they will have to pay trade in 3 weeks time to replace it.

Clio 1.2 petrol. - Going to view a car, negotiate on price? - brighteyes
Two things to remember 1) There is no such thing as a free breakfast, somewhere along the way someone pays, normally you. I'll have a little wager that this warranty is of the insurance variety which, as so often dealt with on this and other websites, aren't worth the paper they're written on. 2) As a cash buyer with no px you are literally in the driving seat. I suggest you negotiate hard and don't be afraid of heading for the exit door no matter how much you like the car. Oh and don't let the dealer know how much you like the car. Good luck, hope you get a good deal.
Clio 1.2 petrol. - Going to view a car, negotiate on price? - lucklesspedestrian

Update:

Well, that's annoying. Last minute change of plan, noticed a similar car 2 years younger and only £400 more expensive so drove 50 miles to have a look.

Got there only to find that the car I was shown (in a darkened corner of a big shed) was not the car in the pic on the dealers fleabay page, similar but clearly not the same car, even in the gloom. Also 2K higher miles, different spec (i.e. no aircon) and not the full service history as advertised and just felt wrong.

Dealers was a fine example of multicultural entrepeneurship but despite this we beat a hasty retreat.

Still, Lanzarote tomorrow!!