2008 Mondeo 2.0 tdci - Contaminated oil, Diesel in Oil - Ptti Paul

I had Engine Malfunction come up on the display and took the car to Ford but they said its likely to be a faulty sensor and reset it. It happened again and this time they reset it and showed me how to reset it in future. My 2008 Mondeo has now just died. The garage have found that there was 9 Ltrs of oil in the engine and it is now beyond economical repair. After having a sample analyzed it turns out that there was diesel in the oil and a lot of it.

My question is how has the diesel got into the oil?

2008 Mondeo 2.0 tdci - Contaminated oil, Diesel in Oil - elekie&a/c doctor

Diesel fuel is used as part of the dpf regeneration cycle.Looks like something has gone wrong with yours that has caused diesel to fill the cylinders to excess and then find its way into the oil sump.

2008 Mondeo 2.0 tdci - Contaminated oil, Diesel in Oil - craig-pd130

The diesel gets into the oil when the diesel particle filter (DPF) is regenerating, i.e. burning off the soot that it traps in the exhaust. The ECU causes extra diesel to be injected during this phase to start the burn-off happening in the DPF canister. If the DPF isn't regenerating properly, then the ECU will keep trying and injecting diesel, and this surplus diesel eventually finds its way into the lubricating oil past the piston rings.

The Mondeo does have an engine oil quality sensor which SHOULD indicate when the oil has been diluted. I guess the message in the dash was trying to tell you this.

I owned a 2008 2.0TDCI Mondeo from new, and after 3,000 miles from new, I had the "engine oil service required" message come up in the dash. The supplying dealer told me they had a Ford service bulletin about this, that said the oil quality sensor was over-sensitive and needed an ECU update. They did this and changed the oil (presumably as a safeguard). I never saw that message or had a DPF problem for the next 36000 miles and 3 years.

Perhaps the dealer assumed this update had been done, but I am surprised they never checked the oil at all. Did you ever check the oil level?