Jaguar X-Type Estate - Jaguar 2.0D Clutch issues? - El Marco

I have a strange problem.

My car drives fine with a gentle throttle, economy is good low noise levels etc as it has for the 2 years I've had it.

However. when I accelerate hard the rev counter rises by 1500rpm, then the car starts to accelerate and the revs hold at the high level. After a second or so the car pulls hard and seems fine.

Its just the revs rising before it starts to pull.

A few months ago, I had some work done as a pipe had cracked and the turbo wasn't getting air or something and the car was belching black smoke. Into the garage and it was an easy fix for the mechanic. It seems the turbo hasn't worked properly since i bought it, I normally ride bikes and assumed it was sluggish because it is a car :)

Since then I've noticed the problem and worry the clutch is on its way out. Economy improved after the turbo was fixed and is still good. There is no smell or other syptom.

Is this normal or is the cluch knackered?

Thanks in advance....

Jaguar X-Type Estate - Jaguar 2.0D Clutch issues? - The-Mechanic

I'd say the clutch is definitely slipping. The symptoms you describe are exactly what to expect when the clutch is on it's way out. It'll normally manifest more in the higher gears, when accelerating, especially in a diesel car where there's more torque than a petrol model.

My advice is get it changed sooner rather than later as the chance of total failiure is greater due to the increased heat generated by the friction of slipping can cause the drive plate to disintegrate or the pressure plate / flywheel to crack.

Edited by The-Mechanic on 06/11/2014 at 22:48

Jaguar X-Type Estate - Jaguar 2.0D Clutch issues? - Peter.N.

I would agree, the increase in torque that you have now its working properly is whats causing it to slip. It will only continue to wear badly if you let it slip though, back off on the throttle and it will last a lot longer.

Jaguar X-Type Estate - Jaguar 2.0D Clutch issues? - El Marco

Cheers Guys,

Got the car back today after a new clutch and DMF were fitted, awsome now :)

I normally ride a bike so just assumed the car was really slow, til the mechanic replaced the pipe on the turbo, thats when this showed up... :)

Many thanks for the help!