Urgent Advice Required Towing Vehicle - bolli

Hi I wonder if I someone could give me some sensible advice?

i recently made a mistake with a recent vehicle purchase - basically despite reviews , specs and research; upon towing my caravan for the first time, the engine struggled. I now have to sell the vehicle and buy another.

However a) I don't want to make the same mistake next time & b) I'm confused by the reviews regarding towing vehicles.

Basically I have approximately £10,000 to spend on a good towing vehicle.

For this money, which vehicle will be the best value for money?

I prefer the SUV style as I'm quite small and find the higher driving position more comfortable.

I don't really have anyone to advise me and so this is why I'm posting on the forum.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Urgent Advice Required Towing Vehicle - RobJP

It all depends on the size and weight of the caravan. If you come up with that information (preferably weight info off the serial number plate on the caravan) then people will be in a far better place to help you out. As it is, we've no idea if it's a little titchy thing, or closer in size to a bungalow.

Urgent Advice Required Towing Vehicle - NARU

As said, to advise we really need the maximum weight of the caravan (sometimes called MPTLM). THis is because of the 85% 'rule', where the caravan should ideally weigh less than 85% of the unladen weight of the car. This is to ensure that the car is in control.

There are other factors you have to get right. The weight the car is plated to tow. The maximum towball limit etc.

Don't trust car salesmen - they rarely know enough to help you make a safe choice.

There's an excellent caravan forum at www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/

I tow my caravan with a Toyota Landcruiser, but that's expensive. Lots of people tow their caravans with Honda CRVs and Kia Sorentos (NB: Usually with the 4x4 versions - I know the CRV is available as a 2-wheel drive, don't know about the Kia).

Finally, if you passed your test in 1997 or later, you have some more stringent rules to abide by, unless you want the expense of sitting a trailer towing driving test

Urgent Advice Required Towing Vehicle - NARU

Here's a decent guide: www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/22442/thinking%20of%20...f

Urgent Advice Required Towing Vehicle - TedCrilly

Have you used one of the many tow car calculators that are available on the web?

You input your make/model of van, the calculator gives you a list of suitable vehicles.......simples.

http://www.towcar.info/basic_index.php

Urgent Advice Required Towing Vehicle - RT

The Caravan Club has a recommendation of a minimum of 40bhp per tonne of train weight

- so a 2.0 tonne SUV with 0.5 tonne payload towing a 1.5 tonne caravan needs 160bhp minimum

- alternatively, a 1.4 tonne car with 0.4 tonne payload towing a 1.2 tonne caravan needs 120bhp minimum.

The high torque of turbo-diesels makes them better towcars than petrol engines of similar power.

Urgent Advice Required Towing Vehicle - bathtub tom

It might also be useful to know what car/engine/gearbox combination you found unsuitable.

Urgent Advice Required Towing Vehicle - bolli

Thank you all,

this is the information I have so far.

The caravan:

• Mass in Running order weight 600kgs.
  • Maximum allowable weight 800kg.

I currently drive a Dacia Duster 4x2 15. dCi - according to the hand book the following information is given:

• Unbraked trailer weight = 625.

I previously drove a fantastic Skoda Octavia Estate 2l Tdi which pulled the caravan beautifully - I would not have changed this expept for the fact it was stollen from my house whilst I was out of the country and the insurance company (LV) refused to pay out ; their rationale being that I must have been negligent with a key (because the vehicle could not be driven without one) however I digress.

No one else in my family tows a caravan and nor do any pals - so I'm a bit stuck really and learnig - fast. As you can probably tell I'm not very good with all this and just doing my best.

I do really appreciate all your help and advice - just desperate not to make the same mistake again. To explain; I thought I'd go for a vehicle which was new'ish and under warrently because I was worried about buying an older vehicle which would require work etc and I didn't want to be in that position.

(and although it shouldn't make a difference, yes I'm a female :-) & will happily admit I know zilch about vehicles and think the advice I was originally given - wasn't really spot on).

Best wishes.

Urgent Advice Required Towing Vehicle - Bromptonaut

I'm a newbie caravanner and went into towing weight complexities in some detail choosing a van to tow with our 1.6 HDi 115 Berlingo. It tows the Xplore 304 (1067kg MTPLM) we eventually chose pretty well.

How does the 'struggle' manifest itself? Starting off? on m/way inclines?

You have a very light caravan (for which 200kg is a pretty generous payload). I'm assuming you've at least estimated the payload and that it's within limits. Also assume you've checked the van's brakes are fully off and that the breakaway cable is not snagged.

Acording to the specs I can find on line your car's towing capacity for a braked trailer is 1200kg. You're obviously nowhere near that, neither are you close to the max for gross train weight (ie laden van plus laden car).

Getting noseweight down to 50kg might be interesting though.

As others have siad some reading of info on the website of one, other or both the club websites might be worthwhile.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 02/11/2014 at 13:50

From what I can glean from HJ's Car-by-car Review section, it seems to be a Dacia Duster Ambiance 1.5DCi 4x2 which has a kerbweight of 1205kg, maximum weight of 1755kg and a maximum BRAKED towing limit of 1200kg - power output is 107bhp.

That shouldn't be struggling at all with a lightweight caravan of 800kg gross although it might if you went up to it's 1200kg limit.

1) - Check that the caravan brakes aren't seized

2) - Have someone verify the engine is running ok

3) - Just check you aren't expecting normal performance from towing a huge un-aerodynamic air-brake!

Urgent Advice Required Towing Vehicle - Manatee

You really shouldn't be having any trouble with that combination.

What do you perceive to be the problem with it?

Urgent Advice Required Towing Vehicle - Avant

From what I've read the 1.5 diesel engine is no ball of fire even when it isn't towing a caravan, so no surprise. For the price of a Duster you could get a newish Octavia or Superb (the hatchback will be cheaper than the estate but with the same engines, so the 2.0 TDI will as you know cope admirably).

Urgent Advice Required Towing Vehicle - xtrailman

Buy an Nissan Xtrail the 175ps version, i would happily tow 1500kg with that car, i did tow a 1333kg caravan with no problems, and also a 1565kg caravan but it wasn't as happy towing that due to lack of low end torque. Assuming you have a B +E license.

Power guide for towing is 80 pound feet per ton, and 40 bhp per ton.

Or join caravan talk and post here.

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/forum/11-towcar-talk/

80 pound feet per ton

How can you have a weight x distance / weight unit of measure - that's just a distance - it's doesn't stand up to proper mathematics or physics

Urgent Advice Required Towing Vehicle - gordonbennet

Towing comfortably isn't just about having a vehicle heavy enough, or having enough bhp on paper.

All the bhp in the world is of no use at all if the engine has no low engine speed grunt, or maybe better put as stall speed torque, and many small Diesels now are almost devoid of low revved torque, below about 1800 rpm.

Couple lack of low engine speed grunt with high first and reverse gears and you've got a major problem, some cars can barely get themselves moving without lots of throttle and at least partial clutch slipping on an incline let alone trying the same with a caravan on the back.

Size matters, engine wise, hence our OP having no trouble towing with a decent 2 litre but finding a 1.5 Diesel all but useless, Bromp's Berlingo seems to be coping but thats basically a proper van and a good one at that and has low enough first and reverse gears to get the combination moving easily, plus i found all vans like this to be mapped better than cars with the same engine for low rev torque.

The above mention of Honda CRV would be as good a recommendation as any, but you'll surprised how well they hold their value (with good reason) for a reasonable mileage well maintained example, the 2.2 Diesel is a strong puller with decent low speed grunt and its a nice drive to boot.

Other alternatives, Kia Sorento, Hyundai Santa Fe.

I've not suggested Mitsi Outlander/Pug 4007/Citroen C Crosser (basically the same car), as despite having a very powerful 2.2 Diesel i found first gear a shade too high, but if one was available for test driving locally it might be worth having a go in one and trying a few hill starts to see how you get on with one, nice car otherwise....earlier Outlander had 2.0 litre and i found that worse still at stall revs.

Ideal world would be, as Marlow above, a Landcruiser or similar with a 3.0 litre 4 cyl engine but these are expensive motors and heavy on fuel at all times, as you would expect from something over 2 tons shaped like a brick with a heavy transmission to drag round continually.

Edited by gordonbennet on 03/11/2014 at 09:34

Urgent Advice Required Towing Vehicle - Manatee
80 pound feet per ton

How can you have a weight x distance / weight unit of measure - that's just a distance - it's doesn't stand up to proper mathematics or physics

Of course it does. It's amount of torque per ton you are trying to shift.

What isn't explicit in xtrailman's post is that the relevant weight is the train weight, i.e. not just the towed weight.

Urgent Advice Required Towing Vehicle - xtrailman

Thats correct.

Its also worth mentioning again as above, modern cars are progressively higher geared to aid economy so to over come the low end torque issues a lot of the new engines are twin turbo.

The Mazda CX-5 provides around 250 pound feet of torque at 1500 rpm, along with the latest 4 pot twin turbo BMW 2L, and Volvo 2L. All twin or sequencial turbos.

The T30 was ideally geared for towing and gave max torque of 230 pound feet at 2K revs, which equates to 60mph. And had lots of grunt low down even with a single turbo.

Edited by xtrailman on 03/11/2014 at 19:03

Urgent Advice Required Towing Vehicle - galileo

The pound in 'pound feet' is actually pounds force, not a weight., with dimensions of mass,length and time squared. The 'ton' is a mass, with a dimension of mass only.

So the formula does not just give a distance. (My old physics teachers used to go mad if we weren't clear about the difference between pounds force and pounds mass.)

Urgent Advice Required Towing Vehicle - mss1tw

Only advice I can offer is a friend has a 2006 2.5 litre Navara that has loads of low down power and only cost 6k - 7k. Very refined on the motorway and has low and high ratio gears.

I towed 2 big (600 and 750) motorbikes on a HEAVY old trailer to the Pyrenees and back with my 1.9 Berlinglo, but I suspect most people will want more performance. I was down to first gear once we were in the mountains. Did it though, and no clutch/gearbox abuse required.

Edited by mss1tw on 03/11/2014 at 19:44