Is it worth my while? - johnnyrev
Several months ago I was in the Bullring in Birmingham City centre and a new Toyota Aygo was on show. My wife and I were quite interested as she had just passed her test and couldn't help but eye up lots of potential small cars, even though we can't currently afford a second car (she's a student for another 18 months and catches the train to college every day).

Part of the stand was a prize draw to win an Aygo, so I entered as it was free. Fast forward to today and I have been selected as a 'finalist' to attend the local showroom on Thursday for the final draw.

My question is, is it worth going along? Or will I spend the whole evening being pressured by sales folk and bored rigid until the draw takes place? Does anyone have experience of anything similar? My cynical side says, don't bother, as chances of winning are small. My optimistic side says, got to be in it to win it, so it's worth an hour or so of my evening!
Is it worth my while? - gordonbennet

Why not, forgoe dinner and enjoy scoffing all the goodies they will put out, there might be some good deals floating about, you never know you might get an offer you can't refuse to renew the hybrid.

Presumably you have to attend the final draw...memories of Readers Digest competition sales blurb floats through here in what passes for my mind...and i suspect that as you have recently bought a new Toyota hybrid, if my memory serves, it's purely coincidence or amazing luck that you're a 'finalist'....is that too cynical?:-)

Is it worth my while? - RickyBoy
About 30-years ago my sister-in-law won a new Renault 5.

Can't recall whether it was a via raffle ticket, newspaper competition or lucky-dip type thing in the showroom, but it did happen.

The timing (for her) was perfect as she already had a small child with another on the way and her husband had just walked out on her. Funnily enough he didn't return when he heard the news!

Is it worth my while? - bathtub tom

Do you need to attend to be in the final draw?

If not, then I wouldn't bother - I'm sure they'll inform you if you've won anything.

Is it worth my while? - John Boy

If it's a prize draw with one prize, isn't everyone with a ticket a finalist?

I think only those who are invited and then attend on the night are entered into the draw. The invite mentions canapés and drinks, so I am taking my wife as well!

Around 12 years ago friends of my parents won a Hyundai Amica in a prize draw. The friends didn't want it, so the dealer offered to buy it back for half the list price. The friends instead sold it to my parents for half price, and it's still going strong, my Mum still drives it to work every day.
Is it worth my while? - gordonbennet
The invite mentions canapés and drinks, so I am taking my wife as well!

No flies on you, presumably SWMBO will be driving..:-)) glug glug.

Is it worth my while? - Avant

You've nothing to lose unless you live a long way from Birmingham: if it doesn't cost you too much to get there, go and enjoy!

Is it worth my while? - mss1tw

Watch out for the buslanes! ;)

It's only ten minutes away, we are in Sutton Coldfield and the dealer is near Spitfire Island, not far from the Jaguar factory, so very easy to get to. I don't think there are any bus lanes, but there are some bendy buses still around, clogging up roundabouts!

Will be interesting to see if they try to sell us a new Yaris Hybrid, it hadn't occured to me that my invitation was in any way connected to being an existing customer!
Well we didn't win a Toyota Aygo. But we had a fun hour, eating the canapés and drinking the wine, and my son had 4 burgers, so he was happy!

The showroom had been completely cleared out except for the prize Aygo, and there was no attempt to sell anyone a car. there was just 40 odd people milling around, eating, drinking and eating for the prize draw.

Once the draw was done, everyone left! A very happy young lady won the car, and was visibly shaking!
Is it worth my while? - oldtoffee

Reminds me of a US radio station some time ago ran a competition to win a Toyota and a lady won it, turned up at the radio station for the big prize giving and was presented with a Toy Yoda. She sued and won!