Ford Fiesta Zetec S - Does it damage the clutch/car when reversing? - JamieM9021

I meant is having to reverse and then moving in 1st gear about 10 times like trying to park in a space but in my circumstances I had to let other motorists pass as only 1 car could squeeze through then finding a space to park which took me about 3-4 times until I parked perfectly. In terms the use of clutch control and selecting reverse then 1st to move forward.

I am worried of damaging the clutch or car.

Sorry for the thread created by thunderbird as he is actually just my cousin who was messing around and knows I like to take care of my car as I told him a car forum which helps users problem.

Ford Fiesta Zetec S - Does it damage the clutch/car when reversing? - focussed

Yes it does, so to avoid it, don't do it, drive in forwards then get out of the car and push it backwards as all good drivers do.

Ford Fiesta Zetec S - Does it damage the clutch/car when reversing? - Simon

Sell it and buy an automatic.

Ford Fiesta Zetec S - Does it damage the clutch/car when reversing? - Bolt

which helps users problem.

So far you havent had a problem

Ford Fiesta Zetec S - Does it damage the clutch/car when reversing? - JamieM9021

It's called pre-caution taking action before it becomes the problem. You learn from the mistakes and adapt a new method of driving.

An example of pre=caution is a computer will have an anti-virus software for protection incase of malware or viruses and who knows when.

It's called pre-caution taking action before it becomes the problem. You learn from the mistakes and adapt a new method of driving.

An example of pre=caution is a computer will have an anti-virus software for protection incase of malware or viruses and who knows when.

You live and learn ;-)

Why dont you go on a course,just a basic one that teaches you the basics of a car, you might learn something

Ford Fiesta Zetec S - Does it damage the clutch/car when reversing? - The-Mechanic

It's called pre-caution taking action before it becomes the problem.

Sound advice Jamie. It's just such shame some parents didn't take any before deciding to have offspring huh !!!!

Edited by The-Mechanic on 22/10/2014 at 08:27

Its also called Paranoia,

Ford Fiesta Zetec S - Does it damage the clutch/car when reversing? - The-Mechanic

It's not paranoia if THEY really are out to get you ;-)

Edited by The-Mechanic on 22/10/2014 at 09:00

I know nothing about cars and I am still learning in my early 20s.

I know nothing about cars and I am still learning in my early 20s.

Now is the time to learn, I started my appenticeship at 15, but worked on cars at school During geography lessons, the teacher was a qualified mechanic but noticed everyone was not interested in geography so taught mechanics instead

We worked on an old Ford Anglia at the time

You could do evening classes in it and get an understanding of how they work,it may answer some of your own questions

Ford Fiesta Zetec S - Does it damage the clutch/car when reversing? - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

If you want to learn properly, do it like we did.. Get a restored 'proper' Mini; a 998 or 1098 Clubman. Just like we used to do, after every long run, you'll have to buy a Quinton Hazell ball-joint re-shimming kit, get the Mini jacked up, find your ball-joint splitter and re-shim top and bottom ball-joints both sides. Then you'll have to take the rocker cover off, get out your feeler gauges and fettle the tappets. Modern petrol burns much cleaner than the leaded stuff, so you won't have the joy of suffering weeks of agony with a slipped disc after removing the cylinder head to decoke it. Then you'll have to learn which type of grease works best as you have to use your grease gun on all the nipples after every run - and if anyone out there is just getting into the joy of classic Mini ownership, I recommend Aqua Lube waterproof grease from Indespension.

Ford Fiesta Zetec S - Does it damage the clutch/car when reversing? - Andrew-T

Assuming this thread is half-serious (I'm still not sure): The best way to look after your car is not to drive it. You will then own a low-mileage pristine vehicle with maximum resale value. However, cars are designed to be used, and unless you crash the gearbox (or adjacent vehicles), multi-reversing into spaces will not make any noticeable difference to it. And pretty soon you will become an expert. The clutch should last 50K miles, used properly.

Assuming this thread is half-serious

Not sure myself, but have come across questions similar by some of my old customers,thats why I suggested doing a course, but I suspect it wont go down very well, it never does, still, thats life!

Ford Fiesta Zetec S - Does it damage the clutch/car when reversing? - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

In a strange and peculiar manner, the thread does seem to have turned half-serious!

Ford Fiesta Zetec S - Does it damage the clutch/car when reversing? - piggy

In a strange and peculiar manner, the thread does seem to have turned half-serious!

Shame that,I was enjoing the leg pulling!

Ford Fiesta Zetec S - Does it damage the clutch/car when reversing? - madf

We have reversed our cars into our garage every time we do not use them. Over 32 years living here.

And had no clutch problems. Or gearbox ones. Or engine ones..

So we are either brilliant drivers or our cars were all brand new and perfect or reversing causes no problems if carried out competently

Take your pick of the reasons.. If you think I'm a perfect driver and/or have new cars every year I suggest you might try living in the real world... :-)

Edited by madf on 23/10/2014 at 14:54