Mitsubishi Outlander - Outlander gear change stiff after oil change - Eddy56

I recently had a major service done on my wife's Outlander (2009 60k miles VAG 2.0 diesel engined). I decided it would be sensible to get all the transmission fluid changed (rear diff, transfer box and gearbox). The gearbox, I was told, is not necessary and I discussed with the main dealer service agent that I find it hard to believe that an oil can retain it's properties forever which he did agree with. Anyway, we had the oil changed but since then 1st and 2nd gear are stiff to engage. It's going back in for them to have a look, but they insist they will have used the right grade oil. I'm beginning to wonder whether chaning the oil was such a good idea. I'm expecting some reply along the lines of "we've used the right oil, the old oil had thinned, the box has worn and the fresh oil is exposing this wear. We can strip the box down and look for worn parts" Not sure I want to go down that expensive road.

anyone have any ideas?

Edited by Eddy56 on 14/10/2014 at 14:39

Mitsubishi Outlander - Outlander gear change stiff after oil change - Wackyracer

If you know what oil they claim to have filled it with, You could check with some of the oil producers online lubricant advisors to see if it is the correct grade and specification.

I wouldn't go down the route of dismantling the gearbox.

Mitsubishi Outlander - Outlander gear change stiff after oil change - thunderbird

Modern gear oils do not need changing unless the manufacturer specifies it. Unlike engine oils which become contaminated with combustion by products, fuel, etc. etc. gear oils have a much easier life. Any small bits of swarf are trapped on the magnet in the bottom. Last time I removed a gearbox from a car it had covered over 100,000 miles and the oil looked new.

I would suspect that the dealer has used the wrong oil or the manufacturer has changed specs. Either way it should not mean a rebuild of the box, you just need the same oil as before.