Kia Ceed & Rio - Technical Questions - carl233

Currently considering purchasing either a 1.25 petrol Rio or 1.4 petrol Ceed, I really prefer petrol units over diesel, can anyone confirm if both the engines are chain driven? Do any of these vehicles have a duel mass fly wheel? Does anyone have any feedback as to which overall is the better purchase for mixed driving around town with a fair number of long motorway runs. I am looking to keep the car a very long time 10 years plus and will likely run the vehicle for 150k miles plus.

Kia Ceed & Rio - Technical Questions - diddy1234

I guess it depends on how much stuff you need to carry around with you that may deciide on the Ceed if you need more room for things like buggys.

However, The 1.25l is a brilliant engine (very strong and almost bullet proof).

There have been a few clutch issues on the 1.25l but I think this was on earlier cars (Hyundai I20 and Kia Rio are essentally the same car).

The 1.4l is an older engine design, well proven but in reality doesn't put out much more power than the 1.2l.

I am not too sure about the dual mass flywheel, I suspect not as I thought only the diesels had these. And on the Kia's and Hyundai's the diesel engines don't have them.

I have only driven the I20 and the Kia Rio but can't comment on the Ceed.

Maybe someone else can help regarding the driving experience comparing these cars.

Good luck with what ever choice you make.

Kia Ceed & Rio - Technical Questions - jc2

Don't know about use on either of these cars but DMF were first used on gasoline engines before use on diesels.

Kia Ceed & Rio - Technical Questions - signalts

No idea about the Rio, but we've got a 2010 cee'd 1.4 petrol. About town we get mid to late 30's mpg. On the motorway low to mid 40's mpg (got to be air con off and gentle speed (ie legal!) to get mid 40's!).

The 1.4 is chain driven cam, so nothing to replace. We've had a clutch replaced and it was a standard type unit with no mention made over DMF so I don't think it has one.

As long as you don't want to accelerate desperately fast the 1.4 is a brilliant engine, incredibly flexible and will do anything you ask of it, as long as it isn't to go fast! Will cruise happily at 70mph on the motorway, but it is relatively noisy then, running at 3500rpm+. (That said, if you nail your foot to the floor and rev the life out of it the car will shift along perfectly fine). The engine feels like it would last for ever it it's looked after and the rest of the car is holding up fine after 55000 miles.

If you're talking about the latest model I think the current 1.4 is a development of the engine we have, but not driven it.

Kia Ceed & Rio - Technical Questions - carl233

Thanks for all the input, having test drove both cars I found them to be a rewarding and really nice drive, liked the long gearing of the Ceed especially. Build quality on both of them seems to be above many manufacturers. Looking at the way they are put together it seems that getting a 150k out of either should be no problem.