Toyota Avensis - Flywheel-clutch problems? - AlexT

My 2.2 D4-D 2005 Toyota Avensis sometimes, when starionary at a red light (apparently this mostly happens at red lights), revs the engine up and down, basically sometimes the needle goes from 900 rpm to 1100 rpm up and down continously, and if I rev it up to 2000 a couple of times everything comes back to normal. This happens rarely.

Also, sometimes, it won't go into reverse (no sound, just the stick won't budge), again sometimes, but most of the time it does. All I have to do is press the clutch a couple of times, everything comes back to normal.

Went to first mechanic, told me the reverse thing is nothing to worry about, it's normal, something about reverse being different from other gears, it ocasionally backfires. Anyhow, he said that the engine sounds funny, and that it vibrates too much, and gave me a huge quote for changing the clutch and flywheel.

Second mechanis said the gearbox seams fine, says he can't tell if the engine sounds wrong since I'm the one driving it I should say if it sounds unusual, but it vibrates a lot, and maybe should consider changing the flywheel and clutch. Said I can drive on for the time being, problem is not very bad.

What do you guys think I should do, is there a way to tell without opening the thing up? The going rate for changing the clutch around here is about 100 pounds+ the price of the parts. So basically It would cost me 100 quid to open it up... see what's in there...

Toyota Avensis - Flywheel-clutch problems? - Peter.N.

If there is any ammount of excessive vibration the DMF would be the place to go.

£100 sounds very cheap to change a clutch.

If the 'D' in you model number means diesel, I have never heard a diesel engine backfire.

Toyota Avensis - Flywheel-clutch problems? - madf

Over £1,000 for a new clutch and DMF from Toyota..

DMF? Do you mean DPF? Diesel Particulate filter? I don't know what DMF stands for, I'm sorry. I will go and put the computer on it, maybe a DPF error will show up...

About 100 GBP is the going rate where I live (overseas) for a good service to deal with it. You can find cheaper options.

Toyota Avensis - Flywheel-clutch problems? - kiss (keep it simple)

DMF= Dual Mass Flywheel. Its job is to absorb vibrations transmitted down the crankshaft. They can be prone to failure, particularly on diesels. As clutch replacement is a big job, it's normally sensible to replace the DMF at the same time.

Ok, so I got the money to change it , went to three mechanics, they all said it's the flywheel. Charged me about 60 quid to change the whole thing plus the price of the parts (800 pounds). Price for the work is so low since I live in Romania, not the UK. So, now it consumes a lot more diesel, about 8 per hundred km, and before it was about 5-6. Mechanic says it not got anything to do with the flywheel. Also there is a strange buzzing noise sometimes. Especially when going up hills. And the steering wheel vibrates a lot less, but still vibrates.

Also took some pics, here's the mechanic looking at the new one.

i57.tinypic.com/2zjhpav.jpg

Toyota Avensis - Flywheel-clutch problems? - madf

Looks like a solid flywheel fitted.

Should be a tinyurl.com/k5fl7nb

You made me curious, so I looked at the invoice the mechanic gave me, it says dual mass flywheel (in romanian), and I also took pics of the old ones that were on the car.

i58.tinypic.com/2uge74i.jpg

i62.tinypic.com/waopvk.jpg

I hope he didn't charge me for a dual mass one and put a solid one in place. I didn't think to look at the new one he was fitting. Sometimes the engine sounds strange, and that buzzing noise sometimes happens, sometiemes not, it usually happens when the engine is hot. Friend of mine from work sais it sounds like the exhaust, maybe they accidentally did domething to it.

Edited by AlexT on 04/12/2014 at 08:41