idle problems - barter
i have a M reg cavalier 2.0i which seems to have an idle problem. when started it runs @800rpm but after 2 mins jumps to about 1200-2000rpm, and feels like driving with the choke out.

any ideas?
idle problems - Dan J
This has come up on this site many times in the past (have suffered it myself) and searching for idle control valve etc should provide some lengthy explanations.

Basically the valve which controls the idle speed gets clogged up with oil from the crankcase ventilation. It's quite possible to take the thing off and clean it with carb cleaner - explained in the Haynes Manual, at least for the Vectra anyway. Also plenty of info at www.cavweb.co.uk - search the forums for "idle valve".

Replacement seems to be about 100 quid or so plus VAT, depending on whether your Vauxhall dealer is in a good mood on the day. Hopefully though you'll get away with just cleaning it.

Good luck - Dan J
idle problems - Shep
Barter.......beware

I too had problems such as your cav but on a Vectra and I heard many stories of idle air control valves and tesco petrol etc etc.

Save yourself loads of cash and hassle and let your car's own EMS tell you what the problem is.

You can either take the car to a vauxhall dealer and pay £30 ish for a "TECH2" diagnosis where they simply plug your car into their machine using the existing multiplug connector on your car

I actually went through this procesure on my Vectra and the computer returned the verdict that camshaft sensor was the problem.

I have since found out that I could have saved myself the £30 and the expesnsive labour to fit the sensor by using the old "paperclip in the EMS multiplug" trick.

Please follow the link to this website to find out how you can get you cars own engine management system to tell you everything you wanted to know.

www.knighta.f9.co.uk/info/fault_codes/fault_codes....m

idle problems - james_60
hi

there is nothing wrong with tesco petrol my mum has always used fuel from there for about 10 years she has had 3 cars since and the first a Sierra 2.0l Gl 153 thousand miles on tesco fuel no probs a vx corsa 1.2 16v (1997) 38 thousand miles no probs (part exchanged that in 2000) now has a W reg corsa same engine with 18 thousand miles no probs

as you see above there is nothing wrong with tesco fuel its just people picking holes

iam not angry or up for a fight (moderators) iam just showing my views in a calm way

Hope this helps
J Stephenson