Nearly time to say goodbye - tax disc - Trilogy

James is spot on. Many people buy at the weekend, IMO and IME.

www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/anything-goes/so-it-goodby...c

Nearly time to say goodbye - tax disc - Armitage Shanks {p}

It has been suggested that, bearing in mind there are anoraky people who collect tax discs, the last ones issued might become "Collectable", for the financial benefit of your children's children I guess!

Nearly time to say goodbye - tax disc - gordonbennet

Glad i don't often buy cars, when i do again it will almost certainly be privately, and i usually buy still taxed, so money for the car and insurance arranged over the phone, even from the sellers house and you were away all in one visit, thats ended now...unless insurers are going to update the syste instantly so you can tax within minutes of insuring.

Current tax disc was useful for traffic wardens local police etc patrolling their areas to keep an eye on things without needing ANPR, more reliance on electronic surveillance.

Another backwards move IMO.

Nearly time to say goodbye - tax disc - retgwte

My own view is it is simply to cover up how bad the police and criminal justice system is.

At the moment I can see that all those "travellers" are driving transits with no vaalid tax disk, and I correctly tick one off as another set of people the police are too frightened to intervene against.

Now none of us will immediately spot such vans and cars are untaxed, and the police inaction will be less obvious.

Nearly time to say goodbye - tax disc - iamafreeman

Surely the government is now also going to get some tax paid twice for example my wife's car costs £30 per year and you cannot tax it for six months therefore they surely aren't going to refund her for four or five months unused tax yet the new buyer will also have to pay the full amount again?

Nearly time to say goodbye - tax disc - Andrew-T

There's bound to be some degree of nuisance during a changeover like this. But let's admit that the system of sticking little discs on the windscreen as well as carrying a reg.plate is clumsy and an anachronism. In Canada 50 years ago (Alberta anyway) the plate was changed annually and served as a 'tax disc' - prisoners made them instead of mailbags. This had the disadvantage that your reg. kept changing (so did the colour). In the US you could keep the plate, but applied a new sticker to it - which seems little better than a tax disc.

But with ANPR everywhere a disc seems superfluous ?

Nearly time to say goodbye - tax disc - Bromptonaut

In the US you could keep the plate, but applied a new sticker to it - which seems little better than a tax disc.

IIRC Germany, or at least some of it's States, had a similar system.

But with ANPR everywhere a disc seems superfluous ?

True, but the presence/absence of a disc and whether curent or expired is useful when cars appear abandoned.