covering up numberplates - HandCart

Now don't take this too seriously...

Some years ago I seem to remember some motorcyclists in particular parking their bikes with parcel tape or similar over the numberplate so that it couldn't be read. And there was some question about whether a Traffic Warden was not legally allowed to tamper with the covering, and therefore couldn't write out a ticket.

I just wondered whether the 'not legally allowed' bit was/is actually true.

And is it the law that your numberplate must be visible/readable when in a Council Car Park (for argument's sake let's say it doesn't use entry and exit cameras) ?

I ask purely out of curiosity.

covering up numberplates - Armitage Shanks {p}

Discussed on this Forum 12 years ago! Have things changed?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=7489

covering up numberplates - HandCart

Thanks Armitage, though I'm still not sure I can sieve a definitive answer out of that discussion!

My curiosity arose when considering the imminent non-requirement to display a tax disc, along with a news that the council are intending to introduce charges on THE car park in a nearby village. Said village has a very very vibrant and thriving set of independent shops, but the car park really is just about the ONLY place to park - surrounding streets are narrow and already long-since painted with double yellow lines.

I suppose if people are not allowed to cover their plates, they could just put false ones on instead. I suspect with the demise of the tax disc there may be an increase in such practice.

covering up numberplates - Bromptonaut

ISTR that this was a London thing and that the lacuna which prevented Civil Enforcement Officers ticketing in these circs had been addressed.

Mercifully I'm no longer in London every day so am no in position to investigate.