Honda FRV - Honda FRVs 100k plus mileage - no-no

Hi,

I have 4 kids and I'm looking for a 6+ seater. I really don't like the way most cars have the seats in sets of two with the rear two seat pretty much in the boot.

I used to have a multipla which I loved but it fell apart. So I'm tempted to get an Honda FRV with the same 3x3 seat layout. I have a budget of just 3k and most of them seem to be well above 100k, most around 120-150k.

Are they still reliable at that age? They seem to hold their price pretty well.

ALso, is there anything I should look out for in particular? I did once have a honda that I took over 200k so maybe there's my answer.....

Thanks

Edited by no-no on 17/09/2014 at 18:21

Honda FRV - Honda FRVs 100k plus mileage - Avant

Any car with 100k + miles is going to be a gamble - but a Japanese one a bit less of a gamble, provided it's petrol-powered rather than diesel. Try to find one with a full service history.

FRVs didn't sell well, so you may have to travel to find one. They were expensive when new, and I suspect that most parents with 4 children, like me, actually prefer 3 rows of seats, with some of the children at a bit of a distance. There are better things in life than having a bambino saying 'Are we nearly there?' close up to your left ear.

Honda FRV - Honda FRVs 100k plus mileage - Happy Blue!

I agree. Whilst the two rows of three idea seems ideal, in reality it doesnt work. I rarely carry 6 or 7 people so my S-max has the rear seats down to make a very large boot. If travelling with the children, then I have two in the second row separated by the empty middle seat and one in the rear. This means less squabbling and a calmer journey. The front row is then occupied by SWMBO and me having pleasant conversation without interruption by a child on your shoulder.

The OP is far better off looking for something like this. Whilst the rear row is closer to the back of the vehicle the FRV boot is not so deep that anyone in the back seat is immune from injury in the event of a rear end shunt.

Honda FRV - Honda FRVs 100k plus mileage - focussed

While Hondas have the reputation of being reliable, I recall reading somewhere that the FRV is the most reliable Honda for some reason. Probably because it's properly engineered in the first place.

Honda FRV - Honda FRVs 100k plus mileage - Steveieb

Always fancied one of these as they are ideal for a family with one child as the whole family can sit alongside each other.

The reason they are so reliable is that they are japanese built unlike the Auris (UK) and Yaris (France) which use some locally sourced components.

Understand that a high proportion of Honda s suffer from an ABS module problem which surprisingly is sourced in Europe.