Grand Vitara - Suzuki - malteser2710

Hi,

I've been eyeing the possibility to get a decent MPV/4x4, and the Suzuki Grand Vitara seems to tick the right boxes.

Been reading about the diesel engine - is it a Renault? Does it share other parts with other cars? (Who doesn't these days, it seems!)

Thanks.

Grand Vitara - Suzuki - Falkirk Bairn

Petrols are Suzuki motors, diesels are Renault sourced.

Does not get the best write-ups amongst it's competitors but it is cheaper and I suppose offers "better value" - much depends on how good the local Suzuki outlet if you are buying reasonably new car.

New model announed, so if you are in market for new / nearly new / ex-demo there will be some keener prices I would imagine.

Grand Vitara - Suzuki - malteser2710

Thanks Falkirk Bairn, good to know re new models. May be worth waiting for.

Grand Vitara - Suzuki - KB.

But I've been seeing for a while that the Grand Vitara is due the chop and today Auto Express confirms the very same. Also it confirms the Celerio is to replace the Alto. (A four door city car at 3600mm and an automated manual gearbox featuring heavily....an 800cc diesel in the pipeline too).

There's a new Vitara in the press which, apparently, will be the biggest 4x4 they will do.

Anyone any thoughts on Suzuki as a brand...ie. dealer and/or manufacturerecustomer service?? I've never owned one but there are enough around...and I have a reasonably local, smallish, dealer that doesn't conform to the glass palace configuration.

Edited by KB. on 09/09/2014 at 15:14

Grand Vitara - Suzuki - groaver

I have a 12 plate GV 2.4 petrol.

All japanese and the better for it though it gets 30mpg and cost £285 to tax.

I knew that and as don't do much more than 7k a year it is fine.

It feels very robust if slightly agricultural and the 18" wheels make it quite a bouncy ride.

Strange spec: HID headlamps, elec sunroof, climate control, heated leather(ette) seats but only a mp3 cd stereo (this is now upgraded since 2013).

Permanent 4 wheel drive makes it fell very surefooted along with the hard ride. It takes corners at speeds it really shouldn't.

I like its honesty and the fact it cost me £13k in May 2013 for top spec with 8k on the clock.

Servicing has cost me £150 a service so far.

If you know and accept its shortcomings you may like it.

The diesel I cannot recommend as I heard many bad stories.