2005 Volkswagen Polo 1.2 (55PS) - Fuel Filter - PX-230A
My car has 150,000 miles on the clock - I was reading online that it's a good idea to replace the fuel filter (it still has the original one) due to the mileage.

Phoned up VW for a price (£26) but the guy said it's an inline one and doesn't normally need changing. There's a section in the Haynes manual about how to change it, so it is a serviceable part although VW didn't seem to agree...there's no recommended interval though.

Any truth in this or still worth doing? Surely it's like any other filter and gets crapped up over time?

Edited by PX-230A on 04/09/2014 at 15:55

2005 Volkswagen Polo 1.2 (55PS) - Fuel Filter - gordonbennet

If the car's running well i'd be inclined to leave it be, it's not like a Diesel that does need regular filter changes.

If you want to change it, a quick search on Eurocarparts reveals a range of filters ranging from £2.80 to £25.80, if you pair up the correct one with yours a good saving could be made by buying a pattern part.

2005 Volkswagen Polo 1.2 (55PS) - Fuel Filter - RobJP

I'd be tempted to fit the 'proper' VW one. After all, the original has done 150k and 9 years. For a cost of £26, over that sort of timespan, is it worth skimping on ?

Seen some horrible 'pattern' filters over the years. Some with faulty non-return valves, some missing non-return valves altogether. One where the actual filter material seem to melt in contact with petrol, and block up totally !

2005 Volkswagen Polo 1.2 (55PS) - Fuel Filter - PX-230A
Thanks for the replies.

I'm going for the genuine VW one (they don't make the one that was fitted to the car, but have sold me an alternative that's like for like almost but will work).

It might not need doing but I guess it won't harm. I have many times ran the tank very close to empty, so it could be gunked up with crap from the tank.