Fiesta XR2i - Clarefran
My daughter bought G reg Fiesta xr2i, she is now having gearbox traouble. She has been told she needs new bearings and that the clutch is about to expire and she needs a new one. Total bill will be £350. Is this too much? How does she know all this is necessary? Help, please.
Fiesta XR2i - Steve G
Normally if the bearings need replacing the gearbox will noisy.
If its gear selection problems then sometimes on Fiesta's its just adjusting the linkage (very simple) thats needed.
I would have a second garage have a look at the car and ask for their opinion (dont mention what the previous garage said).
£350 is a lot of dosh for a car thats probably worth £1000 max. there are plenty of XR2's out there in breakers yards so it might be worth checking out their prices for a complete gearbox.
Good luck
Fiesta XR2i - 547HEW
Hi,

Clutch is about to expire?

I had an 84MY XR2 from new and started to get clutch slip at about 100,000 miles/ 12 years.

I thought, time to replace the clutch. Got it all apart only to find OK clutch plate, plenty of lining left. Turned out that the clutch release actuating arm pivot bearing had partially seized. This kept pressure on the clutch relase brg, after the pedal had been lifted. With this white nylon bush replaced, no more clutch slip. But the downside is you need to get the bell housing off to remove the bush.

Best to check that its not something simple like a stiff cable.