2002 vivaro 1.9 di 5spd - different engine - the sheep@21

Possibly a silly question,but here goes?

Got 02 vivaro 1.9 di, had enough of constant oil leak (spend fortunes on different seals), various other probe, body is clean and tidy used for camping, was wondering is it possible to fit a better engine ie a later 1.9 dti? , will this fit my gearbox, or 2.0 ltr engine and box or even 2.5ltr and box, what's a possibility or is getting the original rebuilt best plan? Any help would be appreciated.

2002 vivaro 1.9 di 5spd - different engine - Avant

It's not a silly question, and I hope this isn't a silly answer.... but rather than spending a lot of money on a 12-year-old van, wouldn't you get better value for money from replacing the van with one that suits your needs?

It's not a silly question, and I hope this isn't a silly answer.... but rather than spending a lot of money on a 12-year-old van, wouldn't you get better value for money from replacing the van with one that suits your needs?

i wished,unfortunately haven already spent quite alot of money on the van and bodywork being so tidy etc prefer to keep, so wife tells me!!!!

2002 vivaro 1.9 di 5spd - different engine - The-Mechanic

There's more to just swapping out the engine/box for a later/larger capacity one. There's the possibility of the mountings being in different position for starters, the wiring harnesses being different, the fuel and exhaust pipework, the immobiliser circuitry etc etc.

It sounds to me that you've committed yourself to this van after all the money that's been spent on it and feel you (or the good lady wife) have to keep it to justify that expense. Unless you plan to carry out the transplant yourself, I should imagine you'll find it difficult to find a garage to undertake the work and if you do, the costs could soon spiral if it turns out not as straightforward as they may think.

Then there's the insurance to take into consideration. You will have to declare any modifications, especially if a non standard engine is installed, and I should think the insurance Co will ask for an engineers report to be carried out before they even consider covering you which is even more expense.

To me, the two courses of action are : spend more money on it to correct the current faults or, call it a day and sell it on/part ex it for something more reliable and suited to your needs.

Many thanks for the reply, answered my question, try and get it all sorted or if a rep engine was needed to stick with 1.9di or a long chat with my better half. Again thankyou saves me time.