Toyota Hiace - toyota hiace brakes - Smokey21

Hi there, i'm have a Toyota Haice with brake problems.

I have renewed:

-front pads and disks

-rear shoes

-bled system

-no air in system

When engine is switched off good pedal

When engine swithed on brake fades to the floor

Replaced:

-Master Cylinder

-Cervil

Then bled system again

-no air in system

Stlil no batkes!

Replaced

-Load vaulve and vacume pump behind alternater (bled again) still no brake

can anyone help?

Toyota Hiace - toyota hiace brakes - Oli rag

Are the back shoes adjusted up okay? If the self adjusters are playing up or if they are manual adjusters, you can get very spongey brakes if there's too much drum clearance.

The pedal will always go down further with the engine running, just because you're getting assistance from the servo or pump. It shouldn't however reach the floor.

Toyota Hiace - toyota hiace brakes - gordonbennet

You've just reminded me there Oli, the only way i could get a pedal on my series Land Rover, drums all round, was by removing the shoes and clamping the slave pistons in tight with a bunch of G Clamps, that stopped the blinking pistons moving out constantly druing bleeding, ended up with a lovely pedal.

Might be worth adusting the rear shoes up solid for bleeding purposes and see if the pedal improves after bleeding with them tight against the drum, if it improves then the rears might need further maintenance...edit...it seems you haven't checked out the rear brakes, thats where i'd be looking first..

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/08/2014 at 22:23

I had done all the things to the van and it still never worked

The previous owner replaced the 2 brake pipes at the rear and mixed them up... he put the right on the left and the left on the right side on the tea piece. Once they where changed to correct fitting the brakes are working perfectly.

But i have a new problem now! The sump is leaking and needs renewed but can't manage to get the sump out of the eingine because there is not enought space to move the sump.

Can anyone tell me if there is a better way of getting the sump out without taking the whole engine out

Can it mig wedled?

Toyota Hiace - toyota hiace brakes - The-Mechanic

If the sump is rusty, trying to weld it may cause a larger hole as the metal will be thin and weakened. Plus you can't be sure you've totally sealed it until you refill with oil.

You shouldn't need to remove the engine to replace the oil pan. If you raise the van on the chassis jacking points, whether it be on a two post ramp or axle stands, you then support the front crossmember with a jack and slacken the retaining bolts and drop it down by 4 to 6 inches which should give you enough clearance to remove it. I can't remember if the engine mounts are attached to the crossmember, but if they are, you'll need to support the engine from above with a hoist which will allow you to raise the engine slightly as well, giving you extra room for the sump.

Good luck with it.

this problem has been resolved!

Thanks