Volkswagen Polo - Commuting from Chorlton-Manchester to Huddersfiled - Chorlton

Hi all, first time in this site,

In 3 weeks I'm starting working at Huddersfield University and I'm wondering what best way to commute. What I read about the M62 is scary but almost all comments are about the opposite direction I'll be taking everyday.

Does it make any real difference which direction I'd be driving in terms of traffic jams?

My starting time is flexible but not later than 9am, is there any time window where traffic might be decent going towards the Huddersfield or coming back in the evening?

Thank you very much for your help!!

Volkswagen Polo - Commuting from Chorlton-Manchester to Huddersfiled - skidpan

What I read about the M62 is scary but almost all comments are about the opposite direction I'll be taking everyday.

You have to drive in both directions each day. On most days during my commute there are reports of accidents on the M62 in the area you plan to use, especially in winter. Over the top at Saddleworth it can be absolutely dreadful when the weather in Manchester is positively balmy.

Not a trip I would like to do as a daily commute.

What about the train, maybe park at one of the stations to the east of Manchester, perhaps Stalybridge. The station in Huddersfield is close to the Uni.

Getting to the M62 from Chorlton (cum Hardy?) would be an expedition in itself during rush hour.

Volkswagen Polo - Commuting from Chorlton-Manchester to Huddersfiled - Chorlton

many thanks for the info. I was hoping that Manchester, being so much bigger than Huddersfield, would attract much more traffic in peak times, but it seems that there is still loads of commuters in my direction when i'll be travelling.

It looks like bus + train will be the safest option... and much more relaxed than driving.

Cheers

Volkswagen Polo - Commuting from Chorlton-Manchester to Huddersfiled - Neiltoo

You could try Mossley - Uppermill, then A62 to Huddersfield.

At rush hour may not take much longer initially you'll be going in the opposite direction to the M/C rush hour.

Nicer journey over the tops.

Sometimes blocked by snow at Stanedge Cutting at the summit, but since it's a strategic diversion if the M62 is blocked, it does tend to get cleared quickly - generally within 24 hrs.

Edited by Neiltoo on 19/08/2014 at 15:42

Volkswagen Polo - Commuting from Chorlton-Manchester to Huddersfiled - skidpan

Sometimes blocked by snow at Stanedge Cutting at the summit, but since it's a strategic diversion if the M62 is blocked, it does tend to get cleared quickly - generally within 24 hrs.

That would be really nice for the OP in the middle of winter.

Volkswagen Polo - Commuting from Chorlton-Manchester to Huddersfiled - alan1302

many thanks for the info. I was hoping that Manchester, being so much bigger than Huddersfield, would attract much more traffic in peak times,

Everone going into Leeds and down to Sheffield.

I think other than the M25 the M62 is the busiest UK motorway and never really quiet.

Volkswagen Polo - Commuting from Chorlton-Manchester to Huddersfiled - galileo

Over the last year there was some kind of lane closure/complete closure on the M62 358 days out of 365.

I'd personally go via the A62 over Standedge as less stressful and less chance of being stuck as a result of accidents.

Volkswagen Polo - Commuting from Chorlton-Manchester to Huddersfiled - catsdad
Although the general view so far seems to be not to do it at all it might be worth looking at car sharing if you still want to give it a go. The uni has a lift share site - just google Huddersfield University car share - you need to log in so I didn't try your particular journey. Good luck with the new job whatever your travel arrangements!