Reliability Index Reliable? - dddd272

Hi, I notice Honda's and Toyota's are regularly describd as "bullet proof" and French cars as....erm..."less bulletproof", especially with reference to electrics.

However after deciding not to risk a Renault Scenic and maybe go for a Toyota Rav4 because of this I checked reliabilityindex and found this:

Rav4 Reliability 103 (average 100 so ok) average cost of repairs £432.67 (!!!!)

Renault Scenic reliability 79 (much better) and average cost of repairs £291.68

However....Renault Grand Scenic (same car just a bit bigger?) Reliability 199 (awful!) Av cost repair £321.19

So is the reliability index reliable or are the figures skewed domehow? I also looked at the HJ MOT pass section and this gave different results again! (eg Honda FRV gets awful reliability scores but very good MOT pass scores)

So all in all very confused!

Reliability Index Reliable? - madf

Depends what goes wrong.

Lots of little niggly faults costing little to repair will give poor index for reliability and a low cost to repair.

Few faults but big ones will give a low index but high cost to repair.

Of course, you are comparing pigs and apples when one car costs twice as much as the other so parts costs are more expensive as well..

Reliability Index Reliable? - jc2

Skewed-it depends on the replies! All my cars have been reliable,so I don't reply!

Reliability Index Reliable? - Manatee

Skewed-it depends on the replies! All my cars have been reliable,so I don't reply!

It's based on claims paid on warranty insurance policies not on surveys.

There will be some skews of course - e.g. the type of use different models get, the differences in the characteristics and attitudes of the people who buy them and their propensity to claim, mileage (which they say they try to aim off for), all sorts of stuff.

Reliability Index Reliable? - Manatee

The index itself takes into account the average cost of repair - WD say

As a guideline, the average RI number on the 250 models we compare is 100.The Reliability Index figure is calculated as a combination of:

• the number of times a car fails,
  • the cost of repairing it,
  • the average amount of time it spends off the road due to repairs
  • the average age and mileage of the vehicles we have on our books.

The one I'd rather they left out is the time off road. I can't imagine it's a very reliable figure anyway.

The rest of it amounts to burn costs (frequency x severity of claim) adjusted for age of vehicle (probably using a standard distribution curve for claims fall by age).

You can infer I think that of two cars with the same RI, that if once has double the average claim cost then it breaks down roughly half as often (at the same age) subject to the level of confidence in the data.

In my opinion the biggest limitation of the usefulness of the Index is that it is historic - it's generally true that there are more reliable and less reliable manufacturers, and the newer cars will often run to type - but that isn't always the case. And epidemic faults on a particular variant will potentially swamp the trend for both the model and the manufacturer.

Something else to think about - if I understand it correctly, then it's not actually a Reliability Index, it's an Unreliability Index. Because, even for an 'unreliable' model, most examples will not break down in a given year, tyhis can give a false impression of the relatively likelihood of having a trouble-free car. Comparing two models, A & B - if 5% of As break down, and 10% of Bs, other things being equal B will have double the reliability index of A and be 100% more likely to fail

But looking the other way, 95% of As won't break down, and 90% of B's won't. So A is only 5.5% (95/90-1) more likely to be trouble free than B.

So I don't get too upset when I see that the Outlander has a RI of 182. Especially when I see that 40% of problems are engine related, and at an average age of 4.4 years very few of the cars in the cohort will have the same engine as mine.

Edited by Manatee on 15/08/2014 at 17:04