Tyre Fuel Efficiency Ratings - Important - Man without a plan

Hi folks,

I need four new corners of rubber on my Seat Ibiza ST and looking on Black Circles I have two options:

Falken Ziex ZE-914 Ecorun (Fuel rating E, Wet Braking B, 71DB)

or

Dunlop SP Sport FastResponse

The Falkens are £84 per corner and the Dunlops £113 per corner.

My quandry is will the fuel ratings differential (i.e. B on the Dunlops over E on the Falken) offset the difference in purchase price? If not then I might as well go for the Falkens with the cheaper starting price AND the better wet braking score.

TIA for any thoughts.

Edited by Man without a plan on 05/08/2014 at 16:52

Tyre Fuel Efficiency Ratings - Important - skidpan

These tyre tests are like the official mpg tests, carried out in a lab which bears no resemblance to the real world we drive in.

Falken are a good tyre (part of the same group as Dunlop). Would happily buy them.

Tyre Fuel Efficiency Ratings - Important - Wackyracer

I did calculate the fuel saving on Michelin energy savers once and decided it was cheaper for me to pay out more on fuel and less on tyres.

Tyre Fuel Efficiency Ratings - Important - brighteyes
You also need to consider how long they will last. I put Falkens all round on my Peugeot 207 and the fronts needed replacing after 8000 miles. Replaced with Michelins and they were still well legal when I px'd 14000 miles later, the rear Falkens were just legal.
Tyre Fuel Efficiency Ratings - Important - bathtub tom

I never buy Dunlop (or SP) because of the number I've had to throw away when they've develop lumps, bulges and de-laminated.

Tyre Fuel Efficiency Ratings - Important - Auristocrat

Falken is owned by Sumitomo who also manufacture tyres under the Dunlop brand for Asia (excluding India) and Africa.

As regards Europe and North America, Goodyear own 75% of the Sumitomo tyre businesses,

Tyre Fuel Efficiency Ratings - Important - RobJP

Ibiza ST : the performance version.

But you're thinking about skimping on tyres, to the tune of £30 per corner, and worrying about fuel economy to boot !

Performance cars cost more than standard cars to run. Do you try skimping on your brake pads too ?

Tyre Fuel Efficiency Ratings - Important - skidpan

Ibiza ST : the performance version.

But you're thinking about skimping on tyres, to the tune of £30 per corner, and worrying about fuel economy to boot !

Performance cars cost more than standard cars to run. Do you try skimping on your brake pads too ?

Agree yet disagree.

Manufacturers do not fit tyres to their cars because they are the best on sale. They fit the tyres they get the best deal on. No manufacturer fits one brand, its a lottery which you get on a new motor.

Provided they are the same size, speed rating and load rating a normal human being in normal road use will be unable to tell the difference with the possible exception of noise.

Brake pads are the same as well. All replacement pads have to meet the R90 regs which means they match the OEM for performance. Car manufacturers don't make brake pads, they buy them in form the same places that manufacture the ones we buy from factors.

All good brands of tyres and brakes will be fine. Some brands are cheap for a reason.

Whoops...... If you knew anything about Seat Ibiza's then you would know that the Seat Ibiza ST is actually the ESTATE version of the Ibiza, it is far from sporty especially with the rubbish 1.4 non-turbo petrol engine that I have.

As for "skimping on tyres, to the tune of £30 per corner", nothing could be further from the truth. It goes without saying that if I can get an equal or better tyre for less money then I will get the cheaper tyre. And to be honest that was my reason for asking.....

The falkens are E rated for economy and B rated for wet braking...... whilst the Dunlops are rated C economy and C wet braking....

So if anything (if the data is correct, hence my reason for asking) the cheaper tyres are SAFER than the more expensive ones....

I think you're barking up the wrong tree matey.

Apologies everyong, was sure I added this to the OP but its dissappeared.... Should have said (bold bit is the new bit):

Falken Ziex ZE-914 Ecorun (Fuel rating E, Wet Braking B, 71DB)

or

Dunlop SP Sport FastResponse (Fuel rating C, Wet Braking C, 68DB)

The Falkens are £84 per corner and the Dunlops £113 per corner.

So again the original question is, are the stats likely to be "real world" relative, if not exact.... if so then the cheaper Falken tyre *should* be safer (in terms of wet braking) than the Dunlop....

And then the further question is does C to a B for wet braking make that much difference, afterall the Falken could be right at the bottom of the B band and the Dunlop could be right at the top of the C band, making them almost identical really....

In which case is the Dunlop worth the extra £30 per tyre to get the better fuel economy predicted?

None of this is about skimping or compromising on safety, its all about getting the best tyre without paying more than I have to.

Cheers :)

Tyre Fuel Efficiency Ratings - Important - RobJP

My apologies. I got it confused with the SC - the sports coupe version.

Looking at those tyres, you might see enough difference in fuel economy to warrant the extra costs. If the 4 tyres lasted 20k, you'd have to use £120 less fuel in that time, or, to put it another way, £6 per 1,000 miles. At (roughly) 40mpg, going from HJs real mpg stats, you'd be using £153 per 1,000 miles. For that to drop to £147 per 1,000 miles, you'd have to improve to 41.8 (ish) mpg.

Would a different tyre give close on 5% improvement in fuel economy ? I'm a little sceptical myself, but I suppose it's possible.Then again, 2 or 3 psi difference can improve or wreck handling or fuel economy, so why not a different tyre compound or tread pattern.

What are the wear letters on the tyres, or are they identically rated ?

Cheers for the thought process....

The Falkens are: 125/45 R16 V 86 whereas the Dunlops are 215/45 R16 V 90

I have no idea with letter is the rating you refer to as the wear rating but since they are identical letter wise, I don't think it makes a difference.

I would be interested to know what the 86 at the end of the Falkens means though and why that figure is 90 on the Dunlops.

Don't think I can add an image here but its interesting that the Dunlops also list (or display) symbols for "Audi AO" and "XL" (reinforced) whereas the Falkens don't.

As you can probably tell I know very little about tyres. Would the above symbols not being on the Falkens make a difference?

awesomescreenshot.com/02039wou91

Looking at those tyres, you might see enough difference in fuel economy to warrant the extra costs. If the 4 tyres lasted 20k, you'd have to use £120 less fuel in that time, or, to put it another way, £6 per 1,000 miles. At (roughly) 40mpg, going from HJs real mpg stats, you'd be using £153 per 1,000 miles. For that to drop to £147 per 1,000 miles, you'd have to improve to 41.8 (ish) mpg.

Would a different tyre give close on 5% improvement in fuel economy ? I'm a little sceptical myself, but I suppose it's possible.Then again, 2 or 3 psi difference can improve or wreck handling or fuel economy, so why not a different tyre compound or tread pattern.

I'm very sceptical about how much fuel can be saved, Michelin say upto 80litres during the life of the tyre (estimated to be 28,000miles by Michelin) which if I calculated correctly is about £106 over the life of the tyre.

Now that is IF you save 80litres of fuel and I doubt it very much in the real world, So if you can save £30 a corner buying a cheaper tyre, I'd say you would be no worse off.

Tyre Fuel Efficiency Ratings - Important - slkfanboy

Dunlops are suposed to last longer as that one of the selling points. On balance I would save £30 a corner as Falkens are good tires.

Tyre Fuel Efficiency Ratings - Important - Smileyman

The problem with expensive tyres is, even if they last longer and miles per pound are cheaper than cheap tyres, just one puncture and it's possibly an expensive tyre to scrap - ouch!

I changed the rear tyres in May, I purchased Dunlop Blue Response, not Fast Response. Garages are keen for business so will be ameable to price match - or try to get very close to the prices charged by both UK and overseas online retailers. In the end I purchased from a local specialsit, I do like to keep the high street shops in business, provided their prices are keen.(but not always the very cheapest).

Tyre Fuel Efficiency Ratings - Important - gordonbennet

I'm not convinced about the claimed savings either, i suspect far more fuel (and brake wear) could be saved by allowing the vehicle to overrun to slow down instead of the usual hurtling up to junctions followdd by heavy braking, unecessary stopping due to zero anticipation, then fast acceleration from rest back up to high speed, rinse and repeat.

I shall continue as always to buy my car tyres mainly for wet grip/handling, noise and comfort considered too, not bothered about them lasting forever nor how much fuel they allegedly waste, invariably i have them replaced as soon as 3mm is reached, in many cases the increased noise as they get to 4mm and below forces the issue.

I suspect the noisiest tyres might be the most fuel inefficient, also wonder if the most fuel efficient might not have the greatest wet grip on offer, just thinking aloud there.

edit...hows about your Dunlops at much better prices, though other makes cheaply available too...www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres-215-45-16-90/

lots more available if your car can take the lower, 86, load rating

Edited by gordonbennet on 07/08/2014 at 13:12

Tyre Fuel Efficiency Ratings - Important - Hamsafar

I have the 914 Ecoruns on the Audi A8L and am very pleased with them indeed but they are C rated in my size..

In fact the variation of all ratings across sizes makes you wonder how relevant tyre tests are as they only test one size.

Edited by Hamsafar on 07/08/2014 at 13:27

I'm not convinced about the claimed savings either, i suspect far more fuel (and brake wear) could be saved by allowing the vehicle to overrun to slow down instead of the usual hurtling up to junctions followdd by heavy braking, unecessary stopping due to zero anticipation, then fast acceleration from rest back up to high speed, rinse and repeat.

Exactly GB but, The driving standard your talking about only really comes to those of us who haul heavy loads and don't want tennis elbow from all the excess gear changing.

It never ceases to amaze me the people who continue on the throttle heading towards a red traffic light!