Citroen c5 - Tax disc and number plate transfer - vinam
Hi all back in march I purchased a C 5 from a local garage that was taxed till sep this year.
I received a letter from DVLA advising the vehicle had not been tacked since 26/02/2014. After checking there web site etc and discovering the disc had a different reg number on it. When I informed the Garage they checked there paperwork and the reg no belongs to the previous owner who transferred the plate to his new car. He then applied for a refund for the disc on my car leaving me with no tax. So who gets the blame for this the garage who have given me the money towards taxing the car on e they were aware of the situation me for believing the garage even though the tax disc related to the vehicle . Or the previous owner for getting a refund and not telling the people he sold the car too. And finally what do you actually tax the vehicle or the registration mark on the vehicle.
Citroen c5 - Tax disc and number plate transfer - RobJP

Who is responsible ?

1. The previous owner. They are supposed to retain and destroy the old tax disc. A few years ago, you actually had to send the old disc back to DVLA for destruction.

2. The garage, for not checking that the tax disc matched up.

3. You. For not checking that it was all correct.

As to what is taxed ... both. The tax rate is based on the vehicle, the tax is on the vehicle bearing a particular number plate which is on it, and on DVLAs records.

What I suspect has happened is this : End of last year/early this year, the backlog with DVLA for private plate transfers was horrendously long. The car was part-ex'ed in, and when the transfer came through, the tax disc part was forgotten about.The old owner forgot about destroying the old tax disc, the person at the garage didn't know they had to destroy the old tax disc, and basically it all slipped through the gaps. And then, when you bought the car, you never checked that the tax disc details matched up with the details on the car.

So who is responsible, in reality ? You. You are responsible for ensuring that you are complying with the law. Ignorance is not a defence in a courtroom.