Policeman with hand held radar gun 10.15pm - Trilogy

Rather surprised to see a policeman, with hand held radar gun at 10.15pm in a village (very few houses on this stretch) on a quiet 30 mph limit 'A' road. Last time I saw one this late was the end of the last century on Newmarket Road in Norwich.

Have others seen this activity so late in the day?

Policeman with hand held radar gun 10.15pm - Bolt

11pm in Bromley London his car hiding around the corner,happened several times,for about half an hour each time.

Policeman with hand held radar gun 10.15pm - craig-pd130

Never seen a speed trap or individual PC with a speed gun operating at that time. Maybe residents have complained about nighttime speeding through the village.

Policeman with hand held radar gun 10.15pm - daveyK_UK

More likely he needs to hit his target before the end of the month, and is stuck on the late shift

Policeman with hand held radar gun 10.15pm - Sofa Spud

Perhaps it was to do with a known speeding problem involving known individuals, such as boy racers or crazy superbikers.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 29/07/2014 at 14:28

Policeman with hand held radar gun 10.15pm - Snakey

Funny how you never see the same plod outside a school at 3.05 on a weekday though.

Policeman with hand held radar gun 10.15pm - Trilogy

A shame he wasn't there last night. The car that was doing 45 mph in the 60 limits last night, holding people up, sailed through the village at c.45 mph. No justice in the world.

Policeman with hand held radar gun 10.15pm - grimep

I was caught in similar circumstances near Ringwood several years ago, decelerating from a 60 to a 40 zone at around 9:30pm. Cop was hiding in a hedge with a handheld gun. The limit change is situated there instead of nearer to the start of housing because during the day there is lorry access to a quarry on a bend. At that time of day the road is very quiet with no hazards.

Yes, it was the end of the month. My respect for the police took quite a big dip south.

Policeman with hand held radar gun 10.15pm - focussed

I wasn't aware that the use of hand-held speed guns was authorised after dark, it probably wasn't a radar gun, too easy to measure the speed of an owl or a vibrating telephone wire by mistake, more likely a laser gun.

Policeman with hand held radar gun 10.15pm - Ordovices

I was caught......My respect for the police took quite a big dip south.

Says it all really.

Policeman with hand held radar gun 10.15pm - NorthernBoy

Just the points was it?

Policeman with hand held radar gun 10.15pm - Engineer Andy

I've seen 'Camera Partnership' vans operating from a petrol station parking area in my parents' home town at 10pm on a Friday night (a short section of 30mph dual carriageway from the A1 onto local town roads [was 40mph in the past]).

A nice 'cash cow' in my view, as its all through an industrial area, almost devoid of cars and pedestrians (save the odd bus passenger once an hour, if that). Never heard of an accident there to justify them being there, yet near my home town, 5-10 people are killed annually of a 10mile single lane A-road through reckless overtaking and speeding (often vehicles turning onto the road from unseen side roads are hit), and yet no fixed speed cameras, and rarely any van-based ones. No traffic cars, no council mods to the road (save one) to improve visibility and awareness around hidden junctions.

I can understand why police cameras etc are deployed at night, especially on known routes that pub-goers tec take on the way home. Some people think that an empty town road at night is a licence to use it as their own personal race track. A big difference from motorways where there's mostly much less chance in coming across pedestrians and other sudden obstructions to have to take avoiding action if going faster than the speed limit.

A shame variable speed limits upping them on motorways at night (if safe to do so) aren't on the table, same goes for reducing them around schools only when they are in use. I would say that most people would welcome sensible policies like those, but unfortunately its (IMO) lobby groups like BRAKE and left-wing councillors/council staff who seem to run the show without any regard for the public.

Once again it's a question of perspective.

You think that speed limits that don't suit you lack regard for the public, and that's the rub. You aren't the public, you are a member of the public and entitled to your view, I am a member of the public and entitled to mine - which is at odds with yours.

53% of all fatal accidents between 9pm and midnight were alcohol related in 2010. Things get even more treacherous after midnight. From 12:01 to 6am, alcohol was a factor in a full 71% lethal crashes.

Do you think increasing the speed limit at night will improve those figures?

Policeman with hand held radar gun 10.15pm - daveyK_UK

Yes

Policeman with hand held radar gun 10.15pm - csgmart

53% of all fatal accidents between 9pm and midnight were alcohol related in 2010. Things get even more treacherous after midnight. From 12:01 to 6am, alcohol was a factor in a full 71% lethal crashes.

Do you think increasing the speed limit at night will improve those figures?

You're conflating 2 different things. Driving whilst under the influence of alcohol (or other intoxicating substances) makes any form of driving downright dangerous, whatever the speed.

Driving faster than the speed limit is wrong (but not necessarily dangerous). What is dangerous is the inappropriate use of speed - not speed itself.

Don't think I am conflating two different things, the two seem to be linked: night time is dangerous because of drunks at the wheel, you would make it more dangerous by having faster traffic around drunks at the wheel (I'm not considering that the drunks might speed, because I imagine they wouldn't care about the speed limit, anyway).

What is dangerous is the inappropriate use of speed - not speed itself.

And who judges the appropriateness of speed? I think given a group of people the demographic will have as much of an effect on the outcome as anything else. A group of late teens to early twenties might judge an ideal speed to be X mph. A corresponding group of maiden aunts might judge the same situation to have a safe speed of X - 20 mph. So how to arrive at an appropriate speed limit? That's what the people who set the speed limits do! But they're seldom right, are they?