Don't forget the handbrake!! - Doc

A police force is spending thousands of pounds every month repairing patrol cars and property because officers are failing to apply the handbrake.

There were seven incidents in six months.

Pretty basic error, I would have thought.

tinyurl.com/nt6xlcf

Don't forget the handbrake!! - skidpan

Don't they teach them to leave the car in gear.

Police Intelligence.

Don't forget the handbrake!! - veryoldbear

You don't get that problem with a Saab.

What does Roadcraft have to say?

Don't forget the handbrake!! - galileo

You don't get that problem with a Saab.

What does Roadcraft have to say?

Chapter 10, section 3, Stopping and leaving vehicle

" the foot should remain on the brake pedal until the handbrake is applied and neutral is selected" -------" An outomatic gearbox shoule be left in P and with a manual gearbox it may be desirable to select either first or reverse gear when parking on a gradient"

Don't forget the handbrake!! - daveyjp

I am currently witnessing a tale of woe from another failed Electric Parking Brake, so this may become more common as they EPB takes over the world. Leave it in gear should be mandatory on any car with one of these useless contraptions.

Don't forget the handbrake!! - SteVee

I thought that leaving a car in gear when a DMF was fitted was not recommended ?

Don't forget the handbrake!! - Simon

If you parked the car and left it in gear on a current day driving test, would that be a fail???

Don't forget the handbrake!! - focussed

If you parked the car and left it in gear on a current day driving test, would that be a fail??

As long as the engine was switched off first and not stalled to stop it by the handbrake being applied should be no fault recorded if you did this, as proper procedure before starting engine is to check gearbox is in neutral.

Don't forget the handbrake!! - veryoldbear

As I say, not a problem with a Saab. You can't get the key out unless it's in reverse.

Don't forget the handbrake!! - Manatee

I thought that leaving a car in gear when a DMF was fitted was not recommended ?

Never thought of that, but it makes sense if that means substituting it for regular handbrake use. The weight of the car is taken by the damping element of the DMF every time it is left on a slope.

But as a back up, it seems as good an idea as ever.

Don't forget the handbrake!! - KB.

A police force is spending thousands of pounds every month repairing patrol cars and property because officers are failing to apply the handbrake.

tinyurl.com/nt6xlcf

I guess the original post and subsequent responses aren't intended to be taken in rigid seriousness and feel sure that most of us realise that a percentage....and possibly a good percentage...of the mishaps may well have occurred in the heat of the moment during operational incidents. Perhaps only a few here have had the experience of a pursuit - maybe a frustrating one with possibly serious outcomes looming - and in the rush to perform whatever duty is being called for, jumps out of the vehicle and doesn't fully conform to the criteria laid out in regulations and in Roadcraft. Easy to criticise from the armchair - less easy perhaps in a life threatening situation, at three in the morning, in the pouring rain, with three drug crazed scrotes doing their adrenaline fuelled best to evade capture having just robbed/beaten up/crashed/...whatever or whoever happened to be th victim on that occasion.?

Edited by KB. on 24/07/2014 at 12:17

Don't forget the handbrake!! - Doc

tinyurl.com/nt6xlcf

I guess the original post and subsequent responses aren't intended to be taken in rigid seriousness and feel sure that most of us realise that a percentage....and possibly a good percentage...of the mishaps may well have occurred in the heat of the moment during operational incidents. Perhaps only a few here have had the experience of a pursuit - maybe a frustrating one with possibly serious outcomes looming - and in the rush to perform whatever duty is being called for, jumps out of the vehicle and doesn't fully conform to the criteria laid out in regulations and in Roadcraft. Easy to criticise from the armchair - less easy perhaps in a life threatening situation, at three in the morning, in the pouring rain, with three drug crazed scrotes doing their adrenaline fuelled best to evade capture having just robbed/beaten up/crashed/...whatever or whoever happened to be th victim on that occasion.?

But, as the Deputy Chief Constable says: although his staff had to operate in challenging circumstances, often having to leave their vehicles quickly dealing with emergency incidents "they needed to be reminded that public safety is critical ".

(My bold)