alfa 156 - tyres - tyre leader - julie page

I need a couple of new tyres for my car and like always I find myself wondering which ones to buy some new ones.

Has anyone any knowledge of all season tyres like Goodyear Four Seasons, how do they compare to normal tyres we use in the UK, do they wear much quicker?

Anyone used tyre leader? Is fitting included in the price on the web site or is it extra?

alfa 156 - tyres - tyre leader - gordonbennet

Bought 2 sets of 4 from Tyre Leader this year, at prices no one else could come anywhere near.

No problems at all, which has been my experience with Mytyres, Oponeo, Camskill, Tyremen over the years...in no particular order

The standard price is delivered to your home, if you check the website you will find fitting information, you can select a suitable fitting station via price or convenience, and in most cases they will deliver direct to the fitting station if you prefer....not all internet sellers offer this fitting service.

Pity i have to do this, i would much rather buy locally, but invariably they hum and har and try their best to cajole me ito buying something they presumably make the most profit on, instead of one from my shortlist.

alfa 156 - tyres - tyre leader - catsdad
I recently needed a new pair of Continentals and shopped around online. I was surprised that all things considered the best deal was Halfords at £75 each including an online discount not available if you go to their depot direct. I have no connection with them They were not quite the cheapest but the price was "all in" (including balancing). In my particular case none of the companies who come to your home could beat it. Even sourcing tyres separately and then getting fitting done independently only saved marginally and wasn't worth the hassle and I reckoned the small premium was worth paying. Got a booked appointment and was in and out in 45 minutes. Of course they will not be the best for all tyres and you need to check what is best for you as prices and what is included do vary across suppliers and offers change daily.
alfa 156 - tyres - tyre leader - Hamsafar

I bought a set of 4 from Tyreleader.

Fresh stock, full spec and EU label on site,

IIRC they do not arrange fitting, but you can find fitters on mytyres site or even try your brand dealer.

Service was excellent and delivery was fast from Germany.

Last year, I bought from pneus-online (France), they were good too, but a little dearer this yesr.

There is also oponeo who I believe are Polish.

Edited by Hamsafar on 19/07/2014 at 12:11

alfa 156 - tyres - tyre leader - Cyd

I've had a variety of tyres on my cars over the years and these days I keep coming back to Goodyears.

My main requirement is performance (260 horse 9-3), especially in the wet in the lanes (we live in a rural area). I ditched the standard fit Conti Sport Contacts for Goodyear Eagle F1s - much much better. My fathers BMW 118 has Efficient Grips, thy don't have the "ultimate performance" edge of the F1s (as you'd expect really) but they are very grippy, very quiet, comfy and seem to wear well. Up till recently I had a van (was self employed) and had Goodyear GT3s on that (loads better than the Toyo CF1s they replaced). I also had Toyo on my 820VS - was so glad when I wore them out and replaced them with an early version of the F1s. Even had Goodyear NCT5s on a 220hp Rover SD1 years ago with great results.

Pity the lorry versions are pants then Cyd, drive axle (obviously) wheelspin problems from new right through to the end of their very short life (205k kms incl recut), hows about driving up a slightly wet incline in 11th (out of 12) gear and still getting wheelspin.

Now on Bridgestones and grateful, will be doubly grateful when the winter arrives.

alfa 156 - tyres - tyre leader - 2.0Tsi
Another one here for the Goodyear Eagle F1's great all round tyres that have great grip and wet performance, also have the right performance/price ratio as don't like scrimping on cheaper tyres on my Vrs.

I had conti sport 2's last time and although they were also not bad they wore really quickly. I got my last 4 tyres from Openeo as they at that time were the cheapest.

Thanks. The Alfa used to be my second car and wears Millanium tyres, that have done 20,000 miles, have plenty of tread but are wearing on the sides.

I came across Vredestein Sportrac 5 tyresa that promise even wear and wonder i9f anyone knows what they are like.

Also does anyone know what the saving is between a A rated tyre B and C for economy

Vred Sportracs, all versions, have been at the top of the tree.

I've never heard of the tyres you currently have, but i'd get the wheel alignment checked and if necessary adjusted (by someone competent who can be bothered) before sticking new boots on.

alfa 156 - tyres - tyre leader - Cyd

Agree with GB, get the tracking sorted on a proper 4 wheel laser alignment rig. I had to have my Saab done after replacing springs and it made a huge difference, could feel the reduction in rolling resistance and tyres now wearing perfectly evenly. Wearing expensive tyres out unevenly just costs more money in rubber in the long term.

thanks, the garage that service the car said it is power steering scrub.

alfa 156 - tyres - tyre leader - geordieandy
Hi all

Just a warning about Tyreleader to those looking to buy from them. Beware of their cancellation costs / fees!

Ordered some tyres but cancelled them via their online ticketing system shortly after ordering as realized I had made a mistake in ordering them. I received no response from their online ticketing system despite it being within their so called office hours then 24 hours later get notification the tyres had shipped so followed their terms and conditions and refused delivery from the courier for the tyres I did not want. This company is now trying to charge me £25 per tyre as a fee for returning something which I cancelled and did not accept delivery for which is actually about 75% of the cost I paid including delivery originally for 4 tyres which is NOT stated anywhere on their web site or in their terms and conditions.

I have now paid £100 and have NO tyres!!!
alfa 156 - tyres - tyre leader - skidpan

Not thier fault you ordered wrong. Did you speak to them, most companies have phones as well as the internet.

Not thier fault you ordered wrong. Did you speak to them, most companies have phones as well as the internet.

I agree, for years i've bought from various online tyre suppliers and always had good service, if i needed to cancel i would have spoken to someone on the phone and confirmed via email to a name, once shipped its too late they're yours.

alfa 156 - tyres - tyre leader - geordieandy

If you check their web site there is no phone number you have to use their online ticketing system which is what I did to cancel the order BEFORE I received notification they were despatched and within their office hours.

I also refused delivery for the tyres as they state you should do in their terms and conditions if your order is incorrect or you wish to cancel it. However my main issue is hiding this £25 PER TYRE 'fee' for cancelling an order which in my case of 4 so called cheap tyres they are trying to charge me £100 for sending 4 tyres to me I didn't want from an original £150 order!

Every other web site I have ever ordered from and no doubt you have would not try and charge 75% of the original order price for a cancelled order hence why I'm trying to make others aware of the custoemr service you get when ordering from a so called cheap company. Luckily I ordered with a credit card so I'm going to raise a dispute with them to chase it up but buyer beware as they say!

alfa 156 - tyres - tyre leader - Hamsafar

If you have a record of the ticket made within 24 hours, email them and ask for a refund.

If you paid by credit or visa debit, call the card issuer and request a chargeback.

Why would anyone call an online company except as a last resort? Youw ould have no record of what was said and for me that is the whole advantage of online purchasing is the better documentaion of everything.

alfa 156 - tyres - tyre leader - Wackyracer

They can't charge you for cancelling an order but, What they probably are charging you for is the cost of return shipping which they are allowed to do.

alfa 156 - tyres - tyre leader - bev1

I purchased tyres with tyre leader, I made a mistake, and asked for the order to be cancelled via their online communication system, as like others have pointed out, there isn't a telephone. I refused delivery of the tyres as suggested by tyre leader, I have never received my money back, £400, and it appears there is nothing you can do about it because they do not have a uk office.

(Potentially defamatory para deleted. Please read the 'sticky' thread at the top of the page about naming and shaming.)

Edited by Avant on 23/11/2014 at 22:33

alfa 156 - tyres - tyre leader - oldtoffee

>>>>>>

Well I read your post and noted the contents so that's one but I expect your post to be "modded" in due course due to the potential slanderous nature of it.

(Duly modded!)

Edited by Avant on 23/11/2014 at 14:12

alfa 156 - tyres - tyre leader - skidpan

I posted about this on another thread but here goes again.

Needed new tyres for the recently acquired Micra. Wanted mid range tyres, nothing specila really but all the local dealers were quite expensive since the size fitted (175 65 15 H rated) is not that common. Could buy 205 55 16 for our other cars far cheaper.

So I had more ore less decided to get another set of the excellent Kleber Quadraxer all season from Camskill at £48.50 + £2.99 postage. We have these on our other cars and they are excellent in the bad weather yet are fine at all other times. Rang rouund the local tyre shops for a price for fittin, valve balance and disposal and the best was £12. So the total would have been £253.96 plus the possible hassle if we were out when they were delivered. All the local tyres shops were also keen to point out that if the tyre proved to be faulty I would still have to pay for fitting and then also pay to have it taken off again for return.

Then I found that ATS had an on-line tyre shop. They had the Kleber listed at £65 each all in, total £260, only £6.04 more than the Camskill alternative with none of the risk.

Ordered on line, local branch rang next day to confirm order and inform me they were waiting for stock and gave me a date when they were expected. Rang exactly on that day and fitted the next.

Vey happy, will use them again.

alfa 156 - tyres - tyre leader - Chris M

ATS gives 3.67% via Topcashback, so you could have more than made up the £6.04.

alfa 156 - tyres - tyre leader - Trilogy

Used tyre leader twice. Service has been perfect.

alfa 156 - tyres - tyre leader - Eddy56

I've just fitted a set of Goodyear Eagle LS2 (mult-season) tyres to my wife's outlander. These are not that common in the UK but are widely used in the US. The Outlander seems to have a less common fitment and many other multi-season tyres were not available in the size so I decided to take a punt on the LS2s. So far the LS2s are impressive - good grip in the wet and muddy lanes which we drive on all winter. Some light off-roading on a wet/muddy slope was no problem. Snow performance is obviously unknown at this stage, the tread isn't like that of a full on winter tyre so I expect they'll be adequate rather than great, but they are an all-rounder and that's why we purchased them so some compromise is expected.

I have also been impressed with a set of goodyear efficient grip tyres recently fitted to a passat estate - solid in the wet and noticably quieter than the conti sport contact 2s they replaced.