Octavia Scout - Is it such a good tower? - Steamdrivenandy

The latest road test by David Ross makes much of the Scout's towing capabilities. Sure Skoda are happy to publicise that it'll pull 2000kg and with a relatively light chassis and plenty of oomph coupled with 4WD it sounds as if it should be great.

Think again however.

The caravan industry's recommendation is that a loaded caravan should weigh 85% of the kerbweight of its towcar. That's for a novice tower and with experience that ratio can be extended to 100%, but never over that figure.

So the Scout weighs an average of 1468kg according to the article and 85% of that is 1247kg, more than 750kg below the weight Skoda say it can pull. It's also a tiny amount in caravan tems.

There are two problems here, one is that Skoda have taken to quoting an empty weight for their cars recently, rather than kerbweight which includes an allowance for a very slim driver. That looks great in the stats and makes it look like they've made that latest generation of cars much lighter, but add back the allowances and the kerbweights aren't so different.

Secondly, for towing a caravan a light car isn't a good thing. A light car can lose control of a heavy van much quicker and with more disastrous results than something with heft. No amount of power or 4WD will help if the van decides to overtake the car. So, in theory the Scout can pull 2000kg, I'm sure it can, like a skin off a rice pudding, but should it and should responsible motoring journalists and car makers be misleading inexperienced or misunderstanding caravanistas by not including a health warning?

Octavia Scout - Is it such a good tower? - RT

Caravans aren't the only types of trailer.

It's not uncommon for vehicles to safely pull well over their own weight if it's a stable trailer with a low centre of gravity and the weight in the centre.

Caravans are about the least stable type of trailer there is - the centre of gravity is high up, the weight distributed around the outside give a high polar momentum and the high flat sides can be badly affected by crosswinds and turbulence from other vehicles.

I've towed goods trailers at 120% and caravans at 100% - the goods trailers were much more stable - but having towed caravans at 100%, which can be a handful in extreme conditions, I fully realise why some authorities recommend that newcomers to towing caravans should limit it to 85%.

I fully understand that there are other types of trailer and that dragging a flattish bed loaded with bricks is a better dynamic prospect than a 9ft tall 28ft long caravan. However I suspect that a family car is either going to pull a small garden trailer to the dump or a caravan, the odd horsebox, glider or boat, but v rarely a big load of bricks. That being the case shouldn't there be words of warning to follow safety guidelines, rather than promote the facility enthusiastically? 2000kg is, after all 135% of the empty weight Skoda publish.

Octavia Scout - Is it such a good tower? - Bromptonaut

The other factor is the Skoda's gross train weight limit. A fully laden car plus 2tonne trailer would be north of 4 tonnes which seems a lot.

AIUI the 85% rule is based on kerb weight which includes a 75kg driver and 75% fill of fuel. On that basis a 1300kg van would be do-able. That would allow say an Adria Altea or various Eldiss/Xplore models the biggest 1300kg Adria has 6 berths. A lot of Baileys or Swifts would be out of scope unless you went to 100%.

According to caravan dealers a trend back to lighter cars (after getting heavier in nineties/noughties) is not reflected in vans which get heavier year on year.

Having recently bought an Xplore 304 to tow with our Berlingo I've done a fair amount of thinking. The 'lingo will tow 1300kg (well below 85%) but it's max GTW is full car plus 1000kg so any partt of the van's load over that has to come off car's load. MTPLM for the Explore is 1087kg which we can live with.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 17/07/2014 at 10:36

Octavia Scout - Is it such a good tower? - Manatee

That's a very 'French' thing, having a maximum towing weight that doesn't fit within the max train weight when the car is fully loaded. Not unique to them, but Renault for example typically used to quote towing limits assuming two occupants and no luggage.

My Outlander has a gross weight of 2410kg and train weight of 4510kg (so well over 4 tonnes). Max towing weight is 2000g

Published kerb weight is 1705kg, so not that far north of the Scout.

I can't quite work out how I could ever get to 4510kg without either overloading the car or exceeding the maximum towing weight!

The maximum noseweight is 100kg - but that has to be accommodated within the car's gross weight as well as the towing limit (and anyway the total car axle limits of 2450kg wouldn't allow me to add it to a fully loaded car).

I have a 1200kg caravan, I like to be on top of the job.

In the (very) unlikely event of your being pulled by VOSA Bromp, you might find yourself being sent to a weighbridge if they add the car's and caravan's MPTLMs together and find they exceed the train weight limit. Actually, VOSA would probably get it - the average copper might not.

Caravan makers are trying.

I've just been looking at some van specs and as a for instance the Bailey Unicorn Madrid S1 of around 2011 weighed an eye watering 1596kg when loaded. Fast forward to the Madrid S2 of 2012 and the weight had reduced to 1484kg and with Bailey about to launch the S3 Unicorns it will be interesting to see if the Madrid has lost even more weight.

My current van is a 2012 Lunar and their Quasar range are the lightest around from mainstream makers and I've got 4 berths with a loaded weight of 1235kg. Probably the lightest 4 berther around.

Octavia Scout - Is it such a good tower? - Bromptonaut

I've got 4 berths with a loaded weight of 1235kg. Probably the lightest 4 berther around.

The Xplore 304 is sold as a four berth with MTPLM at 1086kg. We use it as a two though with side dinnette allowing us to breakfast before clearing bed and for Mrs B to retire while I'm still messing on here or playing with radios.

Octavia Scout - Is it such a good tower? - Ordovices

The Octavia VRS is capable of 150+mph, that's often quoted by motoring journalists, doesn't mean that you have to drive at that speed.

The towing weight of a braked trailer for the Scout is 2000kg, likewise, you don't have to pull a trailer that heavy.

Some drivers will speed regularly, some drivers will tow trailers that are too heavy. Whose fault is that? Not the motoring journalists or manufacturers who make the figures available.

European regulation say that a car’s towing limit is the maximum weight at which: “The motor vehicle towing a trailer must be able to start the vehicle combination – laden to its maximum mass – five times on an uphill gradient of at least 12 per cent within five minutes.”

Absolutely but a highly qualified German automotive engineer (not VW linked), tells me that most manufacturers tame their towing weight limits to less than that simple test because they realise there are other factors involved.

In addition, following your line of thought, who is supposed to inform caravan buyers who have no interest in appropriate forums on the web? Surely a responsible journalist could pop a sentence in a review along the lines of Skoda say 'it'll pull 2000kg but I wouldn't want to pull that size caravan with such a low weight vehicle'. And manufacturers just love to put masses of footnotes on the spec. tables, one more with some caravanning advice wouldn't hurt.

Edited by Steamdrivenandy on 19/07/2014 at 13:34

"Surely a responsible journalist......."

Ha, good luck finding one of those. Probably be with the honest politician, morally upright estate agent, celibate priest and bargain solicitor.

"who is supposed to inform caravan buyers who have no interest in appropriate forums on the web"

It still sounds as though you want us all to be "nannied". How often do journalists and manufacturers say " It will top 150 mph, but the maximum safe speed is ............, it corners like it is on rails, but you wouldn't drive it like that on the A701 ...... it will stop on a sixpence, but we advise leaving three seconds between moving vehicles" ?

What would the extra footnote you suggest read? Would you quote the "85%" rule, the no more than the mass of the car guidance, or car + XX%? How would you determine the absolute safe towing weight for a caravan? You would have to consider the length, breadth, height, nose weight, weight distribution, ambient conditions, driver skill and experience, tyre size, pressure and other variables. The alternative is to take the worst case scenario in all variables, in which case the outcome would invariably be - don't tow anything.

We don't have speed limiters on cars, though it's entirely practicable, we allow people to make their own minds up and make their own mistakes despite the consequences for themselves and others. Why can't the same be applied to towing?

I s'pose because people know about speeding and have direct experience. In the case of towing too many people go into it with zero knowledge. In other words they aren't even aware that there are guidance limits etc. Some words to suggest they excercise caution and research the proposed rig would be sensible.

The thing is that cars are getting lighter and caravans are too but not in direct proportion. A 1600kg Mondeo can tow 2000kg and will weigh 2000kg itself with an average load, but a 1400kg Octavia loaded and pulling the same will only weigh 1800kg and that it won't have the mass to keep a ginormous caravan in control in bad conditions.

You obviously have little faith in other peoples' judgement. Do you wonder if other people have as little faith in your judgement? Or would you like to see us all wrapped up in cotton wool for our own protection?

ISTR the Honda Civic handbook had 34 pages on how to use the seatbelts.

Perhaps they thought is was difficult to underestimate the intelligence of the lowest common denominator. More likely they just wanted to limited their liability.

The Roomster handbook has a fair bit to say about towing, as does the Octavia one

For example (Octavia 2012 manual)

Loading a trailer

The vehicle/trailer combination must be balanced, whereby the maximum permissible

drawbar load must be utilised. If the drawbar load is too low, it jeopardises

the performance of the vehicle/trailer combination.

Distribution of the load

Distribute the load in the trailer in such a way that heavy items are located as

close to the axle as possible. Secure the items from slipping.

The distribution of the weight is very poor if your vehicle is unladen and the trailer

is laden. Maintain a particularly low speed if you cannot avoid driving with this

combination.

Tyre pressure

Correct the tyre inflation pressure on your vehicle for a “full load”

and

For safety reasons, do not drive faster than the maximum permissible speed indicated

on the trailer.

Immediately reduce your speed as soon as even the slightest swaying of the trailer

is detected. Never attempt to stop the trailer from “swaying” by accelerating.

This is from the 2012 manual with a lower towing capacity. The bit about loading the car before the trailer is helpful in terms of weight ratio - fully loaded, the Octavia Scout would be close to 100%, maybe a bit better, with a 2000kg MPTLM caravan which is doable with care (yes I know the CC 85% rule is based on kerbweight).

The Roomster manual actually says don't tow faster than 80kph.

Octavia Scout - Is it such a good tower? - gordonbennet

Very thorough and good common sense what you've copied and pasted there MT, i'm impressed that the handbook is is written like that.

Its funny this experience thing, if you look at modern car transporters they are basically the same as being discussed here, short prime mover towing a trailer nearly twice as long (but not a semi trailer, as the hitch is behind the prime movers chassis) and can be considerably heavier when loaded, subject to the instabilities being discussed here sometimes leading to severe tail wagging the dog syndrome which if indetected by those lacking seat of the pants feeling can result in rollover (there have been many)...whats surprising is that even some old hands, let alone the new drivers now untaught the crucial aspects of lorry control, have not the slightest concept of loading the combination for stability.

My car and fully loaded van come in at 86% and as the van has an upgraded payload it's never loaded up to the limt, so I reckon I'm well below the 85% industry guidelines.

If I added in my car's payload then I'd be towing at 67%.

A Scout diesl has a claimed kerbweight of 1451kg which means that pulling 2000kg the ratio would be 138%, when the guideline is 85 to 100% or less.

Using a fully loaded Scout diesel as a comparator at 2096kg towing 2000kg of van means you'd be operating at 96%. Compare that to my 67% which is the sort of ratio that's safe.

Octavia Scout - Is it such a good tower? - skidpan

For about 6 years I towed a race car on a trailer about 12 times every summer. The car and trailer were just over 1000 kg, add on a few spares and it was probably close on 1100 kg. The car I used was a Mk 2 Golf GTi. The max towing weight quoted by VW was 1200 kg so I was just inside that. By the time the tool boxes were in the car plus 2 people it would have been close to the weight of loaded trailer, certainly over it.

Did I ever have an issue. Certainly not, it towed beautifully. Has a simple friction stabiliser fitted (it was fine without it originally but for a few pounds it was daft no to) and it would simply drive all day at the relevent national speed limits.

ng a fully loaded Scout diesel as a comparator at 2096kg towing 2000kg of van means you'd be operating at 96%. Compare that to my 67% which is the sort of ratio that's safe.

I agree it's a concern that somebody might unwisely think they could tow 2000kg at 60mph (legally) downhill on the M5 in a crosswind while passing a car transporter...and somebody probably will. I've seen lots of twin-axles pulled by Mondeos with soggy suspension too that I wouldn't want to be driving.

I wouldn't want the Scout + 2000kg combination myself either. But it wouldn't worry me, I'd just load carefully (as I do anyway), minimise the caravan contents weight, and drive at an appropriate speed, which would be inconvenient for me.

At least you'd need to have passed a trailer test, or passed your car test before 1997, to do it, so a driver should have some experience or training (though I wonder how many people know this too).

I have no interest in large caravans anyway, but I'd like to try it out to see how bad it really is. I suspect it won't feel good - a 1200kg Eriba jerks the 1700kg Outlander about quite enough for me, even if it's never shown any inclination not to follow the car.