Mondeo or Vectra / Diesel or petrol? - Flowers

HI All,

I am new to this forum and would need all your expertise.

I am moving to Penrith and would need to travel to work towards Preston every day roughly 140 miles a day (up n down), thats around 700 miles a week / ~2800 miles a month / ~33700 miles a year.

Need a car with Cruise Control for M6, questions,

1. Petrol or diesel?

2. Modeo or Vectra or Mazda or any other?

My budget is around £2k to £3k, cant spend more..!! I have been reading a lot of forums and narrowed to diesel but with my budget i can get a 04 / 05 / 06 plate... Diesel means chains / turbos / DMF / wat not and what more?

Infact i did find a Vectra 3.0 Diesel 05 plate 85k miles done for £2200 and a Ford Mondeo 04 plate 2.0 Diesel 115K miles done for £1900...

Any help or advice would be helpful..!!

Cheers,

Flowers.

Mondeo or Vectra / Diesel or petrol? - skidpan

33700 miles a year in a 8 to 10 year old car, you are asking for trouble.

In a diesel that will be costing you over £4000 a year in fuel alone, in a petrol probably nearer £6000. Then there is servicing and tyres before you even consider any repairs, add £1000 for the first 2 before paying for the unexpected.

If you are seriously thinking of doing that mileage condition and history is everything (as it is with every purchase) but expect large bills on a frequent basis.

Is the train not an option?

How about renting a flat?

Well i cant, got to move for family situations. Wife working in Penrith and daughter 8 months old.. so no other choice than to move over to Penrith.. :(

I did check my train option, and it works out £4900 per year almost the same as a diesel spend. Better to hold a car and take my daughter around over weekends.

Edited by Flowers on 16/07/2014 at 17:40

Mondeo or Vectra / Diesel or petrol? - RobJP

I'd agree with the previous post. For that price bracket, expecting that sort of mileage ... well, if you're that lucky, then buy lottery tickets !

In that sort of position, I'd be doing the train journey, and having a petrol engined cheapie car for weekends. That, or looking to change jobs, so as not to be commuting so far. If you could get a local job paying close to £10k a year less, you'd be no worse off in real terms, once you've allowed for the fact that the £6k for fuel comes out of after-tax income (so £7k+ really), and wear and tear on cars, parts, tyres, servicing, insurance, etc.

I did check my train option, and it works out £4900 per year almost the same as a diesel spend. Better to hold a car and take my daughter around over weekends.

But that is £4900 a year with no unexpected costs and the potential for accidents.

You could go by train for the same money as diesel/fixed costs and then still have a smaller petrol car for limited weekend/evening use.

I travel that part of the M6 4 times a year, there is no way I would want to do it 5 times a week.

Back in the late 80's early 90's my commute was 36 miles each way. My employer at the time paid me 12 p a mile when petrol was probably £2 a gallon. I did 8100 miles a year which cost me about £400 in fuel. Employer gave me £972 (less tax @ 25%) = £729. take away my fuel and I was left with £329 for depreciaition and repairs.

Would i do it again, no way.

Mondeo or Vectra / Diesel or petrol? - Avant

Welcome to the forum.

I'm always wary of recommending used diesel cars, as repairs can be very expensive as mileage mounts. However with that sort of mileage you do need a diesel for economy. I'm assuming that you can't find a suitable job nearer home.

As ever, condition is more important at this end of the market than make or model, but you should find a Focus or Astra cheaper than a Mondeo or Vectra. Also look at the Volvo s40/V50/S60 or the old-shape Honda Civic. Most Volvos seem to be diesels, but more Civics were sold as petrols and a diesel might be hard to find. A Skoda Octavia is worth a look, but go for the 1.9 TDI, not the 2.0.

Avoid any Mazda diesel: there are well-documented problems with these.

The train suggestion is worth considering but only if you live and work near to stations. To much hassle otherwise. Not sure if your wife already has a car.

Mondeo or Vectra / Diesel or petrol? - gordonbennet

Everyone i speak to reckons that 3 litre Vectra brings nothing but misery, and it drinks like a fish when its running right.

Mundane Diesels seem to go on for many years but when they do break they can cost serious wonga.

If you decide on doing this commute it might open up your options to consider LPG, it just so happens that you have two really cheap filling sites on your journey, Lancaster South Moto currently 67ppl and Preston Calor Centre currently 60ppl...see www.filllpg.co.uk/index.php?page=lpg.php

I've had three LPG cars now, one bought in already converted from new (makers approved not the best conversions in all honesty) and two i've had converted, in all cases this has been a great success for us, your mileage is ideal and the fact you have cheap gas en route is the icing on the cake.

Just thinking aloud here, you could buy something reliable but not fashionable like say a Hyundai Sonata (well any petrol car really, German cars take well to LPG) for just under £2k and convert it for just over £1k, you might even find a suitable car already converted in which case bingo, but be wary why would anyone sell a good converted car.

I won't waffle on about LPG any more unless you want to know more, i know there are some other LPGers here who will no doubt give their opinions if this might be an option.

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/07/2014 at 20:01

Mondeo or Vectra / Diesel or petrol? - elekie&a/c doctor

With a budget of 2-3K ,I would buy a Mondeo or Mazda petrol.Probably find they have the same engine anyway.Your fuel bills will be higher than a diesel ,but general repairs and maintenance will be a lot less.Finding a reliable 10 year old diesel car will be a struggle.What about a Passat 1.9 tdi ?,fairly durable ,and a fair chance of finding a reasonable car.The Vectra with the 3.0 isuzu engine is most definitely a no-no.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 16/07/2014 at 20:09

Mondeo or Vectra / Diesel or petrol? - Trilogy

Rather than go for a Passat, I'd go for a Skoda Octavia or a Superb. You should get a newer car for your money. I've heard of taxi drivers taking them to 300,000 miles. Peugeot 405 diesel is also another car good for high mileage. I drove an Octavia diesel from 94,000 miles to 222,000 miles, with no diesel related problems.

659FBE where are you? You're always good for diesel advice.

Mondeo or Vectra / Diesel or petrol? - daveyK_UK

avoid a vectra.

consider a kia magentis/hyundai sonata 2.0 petrol

it will cruise all day, i think they are all automatics, exceptionally reliable (provided the cam belt has been changed), can get upto 40mpg, very cheap to buy

Mondeo or Vectra / Diesel or petrol? - YG2007

Volvo S 40 diesel at this budget are available with FSH well specced and with < 100K on them. What ever vehicle you buy the decision should be on its condition and history not badge or reg plate. You are going to put a lot of miles on the vehicle and unless you want to have your own tea mug at your local garage buy one that has been owned by a retired accountant type, (high spec lower miles perhaps an older model type like the S40) but very durable. Anything odd ball like a 3.0 diesel vectra is a big risk and they are quite juicy. mondeo is good but at that mileage is probably due a DMF and or injector work. Mark 1 Focus diesel 1.8 might be a bit small for you but they do huge mileages if serviced properly and are cheaper to repair than the mondeo

Mondeo or Vectra / Diesel or petrol? - oldtoffee

The camper van forums have many examples of people in your work position using a camper van driving to work on a Monday, sleeping in it for 3 or 4 nights, £6 or £7 a night for campsite with electric hook up, showers and returning Thursday or Friday. 2 journeys a week instead of 10. No family contact for those nights but with those miles you'll be late home and tired most nights. A cared for Passat, Golf, Octavia 1.9tdi 130 bhp PD with 5 speed manual, pre 2005 MY is a reliable unit and very economical.

Penrith to preston must be one of th easiest long commutes in the UK

you can easily drive it every day, you just need something that will cruise at 80 and has a reputation for reliability.

that is why i reccomended the kia magentis or hyundai sonata.

Thanks all for the replies, i am still keeping my options open and couldnt really decide what to do...?

In the meanwhile i found a 55 plate Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 136 SE only 76000 miles done with 6 speed gear box,, would you all recommend for this one? I am still checking all reviews regarding this car and this car is quoted at £3000k..

A friend had a 2.2 perol auto 407

He liked it, said it would crusie all day, very comfortable.

But he did have a few electrical problems, and some of the parts where expensive

Right guys one more advice, hopefully this is the final pick.

2 cars narrowed down.

1. Skoda Superb 1.9 TDI PD 130 Comfort 4dr 2004 (54) - £3200 - clocked at 60000 miles - no history - needs a cambelt change looking at the mileage

2. Audi A4 1.9 TDI 130 SE 4dr 2003 (03), Saloon, 96120 miles - £2785 - part history

Both the cars are from a good dealer (I presume). Both have cruise and 6 spped gear box. Which one?

Thanks folks, u all are really being very helpful.

Mondeo or Vectra / Diesel or petrol? - corax

I would not pay £3200 for something with no history, especially a PD diesel.

They both appear to be financial time bombs, I wouldn't go near either.

A good dealer won't change the fact the cars may not have been treated well and don't have good reputations for reliability.

Mondeo or Vectra / Diesel or petrol? - Bobbin Threadbare

OP - I did a very similar journey to this for a few years (Lancaster to Warrington) in two petrol cars; a Mk I Ford Focus 1.6 and then a Mk I Mazda 6 1.8. The Mazda 6 was a true bargain, with cruise control and it was bombproof. It wasn't viable to buy a diesel and neither would it have saved me any money on fuel. Just something to think about.

Mondeo or Vectra / Diesel or petrol? - Avant

It should still be possible to get a car with service history, even one that's 10 years old.

Also as Bobbin suggests, don't ignore a petrol car if it's significantly cheaper than a diesel of the same make and age.

Keep looking - there are plenty of cars out there, particularly if you widen the search to include Fords, Mazdas, Toyota and Hondas (although avoid Mazda diesels). An old-shape Honda Civic is worth looking at alongside the Mazda 6. That Peugeot 407 that you saw might be a good bet if it had a service history.

Personally. I'd buy privately for your budget. I wouldn't buy a car from a used car dealer. I always go for full service history irrespective of age. My Focus was 11 years old when I bought it. Just two owners from new and the second one had kept every single receipt for work done. Never buy without history, no matter how tempting the price. And try to get a car with as few owners as possible.

Just remember on important fact. Most people sell their 8, 9 or 10 year old car for a very good reason. They may say they need a bigger car, they may say circumstances force sale but in truth they are selling it because its got a very expensive problem they don't want to fix.

If you buy from a dealer you may get that fault fixed FOC or alternatively the dealer may just have bodged it so it motors on past the end of the warranty.

There are genuine cars out there for sale, they just need finding amongst all the total rubbish.

Best of luck finding one.

Just remember on important fact. Most people sell their 8, 9 or 10 year old car for a very good reason. They may say they need a bigger car, they may say circumstances force sale but in truth they are selling it because its got a very expensive problem they don't want to fix.

Certainly not necessarily the case. That smells of scaremongering. Great thing about buying privately is you actually get to speak to the owner. I've bought over 20 cars privately and never been stitched up. Just twice from dealers - never again.

Mondeo or Vectra / Diesel or petrol? - gordonbennet

Absolutely right Trilogy, ten minutes on the phone with the seller and you're well over halfway decided if the car is worth buying, 9 times out of ten the initial imression wasn't far out.

If the seller quacks and waddles there's every chance he's a duck...the same applies to buyers too, some potential buyers don't even make 2 minutes when they've been ''interviewed' over the phone by SWMBO, who has an uncanny intuition where people are concerned...if they ask the magic question within 1 minute ..''what is the lowest price you will take''...its cheerio.

Edited by gordonbennet on 23/07/2014 at 21:16

Totally agree with you folks, dealers are good sales man and all they try is to sell the car off... i gave up with Skoda superb / Audi that i had posted above, both are rubbish cars without history.

My search continnues... its getting more difficult in finding a good car at all in UK...!!

Was offered a HONDA ACCORD 05 plate with 85K miles with part history for 3.5K.. i am still thinking..!! Accord on chains so..!! Lets see where i get to hunting..!!

Mondeo or Vectra / Diesel or petrol? - corax

Was offered a HONDA ACCORD 05 plate with 85K miles with part history for 3.5K.. i am still thinking..!! Accord on chains so..!! Lets see where i get to hunting..!!

Again, a Honda Accord for 3.5k should have full history. Don't put up with anything less, or you could be paying for the previous owners neglect later on.

Of course there is the possibility that some dealers will claim a car has full history when it hasn't, but a good check and test drive should sort this out.

A car that has been looked after just feels right. Nice and tight on the road, no funny noises e.t.c.

A good check that has been mentioned on here before is tyre make and condition. If the tyres are a reputable make and are the same on all four corners, the chances are the owner cares about their jalopy. Or if the car has a different make on each axle set, but they are in good condition, that would still be OK.

When I bought my current car, the brake discs were terribly corroded and had to be replaced with the pads, but it had virtually new Vredestein tyres on all four corners, it had full history with all receipts, it was clean throughout and drove very nicely (after the discs were replaced).

I have since discovered that the very open wheel design of my Forester means that the discs are very quick to succumb to surface rust. I think that the car had been sitting for a while, or there were longish gaps between use, and the brake pads could not cope with the subsequent corrosion build up.

As I said, you should not have to put up with second best on your budget, somewhere out there will be an ideal car, you just have to be patient :)

EDIT - I would agree with others here though and say that a petrol at this mileage would be a safer bet, unless you are offered a car by someone who you know personally and know the cars history.

Edited by corax on 24/07/2014 at 13:22

my hunt still goes on.. Yesterday had seen 5 cars all in vain.. :(

1st Peugeout 407 2.0 hdi - 07 plate, 67k miles done diesel for £3295, but needs clutch replcaement / timing belt replacement / 2 tyres MOT advisory / Electrical fault on music system.. Bang thats it i aint taking this one.

2nd Ford Foucs 2.0 diesel - 06 plate, 90K miles done.. start the car rattling noise.. time for some bingo :)

3rd Skoda Superb 2.2 diesl with all u can think accessores (Sat Nav / Auto / creamish white leather interiors and more...) done 100125 miles for £5295 with FSH. Was thinking about this thats when another PASSAT came in for a part exchange. dang missed that car in minutes to talk to the owner otherwise would have got it for £4k diesel 58 plate within 90K miles but with a engine warning light. The dealer realised that i am interested so ended up convincing the owner for £4k and is offering for £5k with as is situatiion. The only problem with passat engine light and dealer is confirming problem with fluid valve and is anothe £200 quid for replacement. £5K with as is, not sure aboth Service History but owner seems genuine (he is 2nd owner though)

4th 56 plate (07 model) ford mondeo - clocked at 86K miles - 130 bhp - 2.0 diesel engine - £2290 - part service history but 2 owners (1 company / 1 person). Did a test drive, alls well but few advisorys regarding bulb / tyre which dealer ready to change. Slight engine rattling noise / a little tight steering wheel - dealer ready to fix. AM STILL THINKING.

5th 57 plate ford mondeo - £3750 - FSH - 12m warranty / breakdown cover - 80K miles - 2 owners - Clutch and DMF replaced now - couldnt test drive as vehiicle under repair for clutch and DMF replacements. Decent colour and 115BHP. I am not sure about this one either?? £3750 but with warranty.

Apart from these have found another car.. but need ur opions...!!

Fiat Bravo 1.9 Multijet 150 Dynamic - £3990 - with part history - 57 plate but only 50800 miles done and has all the features i am looking for.. I AM THINKING OF THIS ONE....!!

thats it..!!

Right its an Audi A4 s line 2.0 tdi 2005 clocked at 85k miles for £4k it is... has fsh with brake pads, cam belts replaced at 83k as well serviced...!!

Wat do u all think? Did a price comparison at honest john which mentions btwn £4500 to £5400.