Rover 25 1.4 Year 2000 - rear brakes - Delysher

I think my rear cylinder may be leaking onto brake shoes.

When I brake I hear a slight noise. Does not happen every time.

How big a job and how long would it take a garage to change the two rear brake cylinders and shoes on both rear wheels.

Rover 25 1.4 Year 2000 - rear brakes - skidpan

Leaking brake fluid had never in my experience caused noisy brakes. More likely to be worn out shoes or possibly they just need a good clean out and lubrication of the relevent parts with the correct lubricant.

You need to strip them down and have a good look and then decide what parts (if any) you actually need.

That will then determine how long the job will take.

Rover 25 1.4 Year 2000 - rear brakes - gordonbennet

Normally when shoes become contaminated with fluid it acts as a lubricant, so if anything they should be quieter...as you sail on by..:-)

...pop your head underneath, if a cyl is leaking enough to wet the shoes then there will probably be a tell tale stain around the bottom of the back plate.

Not a big job to remove and inspect anyway, i'd be inclined to use a known mechanic for this and not subject yourself to a fast fit centre...there are good well run fast fit centres to be fair, and ORB, a regular poster, appears to have the services of one.

I'd estimate an hour should see the job done, shoes and cyls, but thats assuming everything goes well, on a 14 year old system though problems will crop up, corrosion being just one so it may well take longer.

Rover 25 1.4 Year 2000 - rear brakes - Bolt

Presume its brake squeel caused by brake dust, its normal on 25 and only takes about 1 hour or less to dedust, trim the shoes, and drums back on,if the cylinders are leaking it shouldnt take much longer they are fairly easy to do...